Modular Pot and Reflux still plan

Pot still design and discussion

Modular Pot and Reflux still plan

Postby Shiftynev » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:37 pm

Hi all,

Just thought i'd post plans of proposed build of a modulat pot and reflux still and would appreciate any suggestions/improvments from members. Here is is what I propsoe to build. I have also taken the opportunity of including some simple drawings of what I propose to make (how the thing turns out is another matter).

Still.pdf

1. 50mm x 600mm copper with ss ferrules at each end x 2 lengths (both packed with copper scrubbers when run in reflux mode).

2. 50mm x 300mm with ss ferrule on the bottom and cap at top for cooling hoses (with additional holes for venting). A 250mm double helix 6mm copper reflux condenser. 12.7mm product outlet (with compression fitting) to needle valve and then to Liebig or Shotgun Condenser. Will also include thermometer port on the reflux condenser section.

3. When running pot still I was thinking of using a 50mm 90 degree elbow with a 50mm to 12.7mm reducer. The elbow would be silver soldered to 50mm x 200mm copper pipe which would in turn be attached to a ss ferrule and be attached (clamped) to one of the 600mm copper lengths. Excuse the arrow on the elbow.

Need to decide which, probably go with Liebig as seems easiest option.

Liebig would be 25.4mm x 800mm long covering 12.7mm product output pipe with reducers at either end. Alternatively, I was thinking of building (or trying to build) a 500mm x 50mm Shotty with 5 x 12.7mm vapour tubes. This too would have reducers at either end.

recently bought a 50lt keg and propose to run with 2 x 2400 weldless elements which I will buy from FSD. Have the necessary copper on hand and only need the elbow and the reducers which I can pick up next week. Couldn't believe was able to buy 3000mm of 50mm, 1500mm of 25mm and over 10 meters of 6mm for a total of $60 from a scrap metal dealer close by. Saved be having to get my arse rebored at one of the plumbing suppliers (eg Reece).

Any suggestions/improvements that you think I could make would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers and Thanks

Shifty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shiftynev

equipment: 5 plate, 4" glass bubbler, 600mm packed section, 2"Pot, 2" Boka, 50ltr Keg boiler 2x2400w elements with voltage controller

Re: Modular Pot and Reflux still plan

Postby woodduck » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:32 pm

Shiftynev wrote:Hi all,

Just thought i'd post plans of proposed build of a modulat pot and reflux still and would appreciate any suggestions/improvments from members. Here is is what I propsoe to build. I have also taken the opportunity of including some simple drawings of what I propose to make (how the thing turns out is another matter).

Still.pdf

1. 50mm x 600mm copper with ss ferrules at each end x 2 lengths (both packed with copper scrubbers when run in reflux mode).sounds good, would only need one in pot mode.

2. 50mm x 300mm with ss ferrule on the bottom and cap at top for cooling hoses (with additional holes for venting). A 250mm should be plenty long enough, mine is only 180mm and seems to work well double helix 6mm copper reflux condenser. 12.7mm product outlet (with compression fitting) to needle valve and then to Liebig or Shotgun Condenser.liebig would be ok, you really only need a condenser here to cool the already liquid alc for correct reading in your parrot, you don't really need one if you don't want Will also include thermometer port on the reflux condenser section.

3. When running pot still I was thinking of using a 50mm 90 degree elbow with a 50mm to 12.7mm reducer. The elbow would be silver soldered to 50mm x 200mm copper pipe which would in turn be attached to a ss ferrule and be attached (clamped) to one of the 600mm copper lengths. Excuse the arrow on the elbow. I think you might be better off with 2x 90deg with a clamp between then this is where you would want your 2" shotgun so you can strip fast. A liebig will do it but i think you would be better off with a shotgun imho.

Need to decide which, probably go with Liebig as seems easiest option.

Liebig would be 25.4mm x 800mm long covering 12.7mm product output pipe with reducers at either end. Alternatively, I was thinking of building (or trying to build) a 500mm x 50mm Shotty with 5 x 12.7mm vapour tubes. This too would have reducers at either end. I think both sizes would be ok

recently bought a 50lt keg and propose to run with 2 x 2400 weldless elements which I will buy from FSD. Have the necessary copper on hand and only need the elbow and the reducers which I can pick up next week. Couldn't believe was able to buy 3000mm of 50mm, 1500mm of 25mm and over 10 meters of 6mm for a total of $60 from a scrap metal dealer close by. Saved be having to get my arse rebored at one of the plumbing suppliers (eg Reece).
sounds good, have fun. I'm only a noob too but i think i got this right. I'm sure some others will chime in and correct us if we're off track.
Any suggestions/improvements that you think I could make would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers and Thanks

Shifty

Sorry colors are different to hard to change :laughing-rolling: hope this helps
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Re: Modular Pot and Reflux still plan

Postby Shiftynev » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:55 pm

Wood duck, thanks for the comments, much appreciated. Will probably make a start Sunday, footy tomorrow.

Cheers and thanks again. Shifty
Shiftynev

equipment: 5 plate, 4" glass bubbler, 600mm packed section, 2"Pot, 2" Boka, 50ltr Keg boiler 2x2400w elements with voltage controller

Return to Pot Stills