Convert reflux to pot

Pot still design and discussion

Convert reflux to pot

Postby rushn » Sun May 09, 2021 9:21 pm

I have an Alcoengine reflux still on a 35L Digiboil that I'd like to be able to run as a pot still on occasions. The Alcoengine comes with interchangeable 0.6mm and 1.0mm restrictors. I know I can remove the packing from the column and use the 1.0mm restrictor to kinda run it as a pot still, but I was thinking about purchasing another restrictor and drilling it out to, say, 4mm to increase the take-off rate so I could run the boiler at 2400W for stripping or dial the power back and run slower for whiskey. Would this work better than using the 1.0mm restrictor? I thought of removing the restrictor completely and adjusting the ball valve to the desired opening, but reckon this might be too fiddly to set correctly.

Ideally I'd purchase a pot still for my boiler, but funds don't permit that at the moment (ie: the bride) :smile: .

Thoughts on the best way to approach this?

TIA
rushn

equipment: Boka & Pot + 35L boiler

Re: Convert reflux to pot

Postby BigRig » Mon May 10, 2021 10:58 am

I found the 0.6mm to be useless so i only ever used the 1mm restrictor. rather than buying a new piece i would drill out the 0.6mm restrictor to whatever diameter you wanted and stick with the 1mm for your standard reflux use.

save your pennies for when you can afford the pot still :handgestures-thumbupleft:
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler

Re: Convert reflux to pot

Postby rushn » Mon May 10, 2021 1:30 pm

Thanks BigRig. Yeah, I only use the 1.0mm restrictor on my reflux spirit runs - like you say, the 0.6mm turns a 25L wash into an 8 hour distilling affair.

Good idea drilling out the 0.6mm.

Cheers
rushn

equipment: Boka & Pot + 35L boiler

Return to Pot Stills