New 5 star Pot Still - Thanks Stig !

Pot still design and discussion

New 5 star Pot Still - Thanks Stig !

Postby ginandtonic » Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:49 pm

In my last post ( T500 as a pot still ) I was after advice on a pot still.
I decided to go with a 2" pot still from 5 Star, and a few adaptors to attach it to my "T500" boiler.
Service, delivery and quality I am extremely happy with, and I know I made the right decision, because obviously, this gear can all be added to and used in different configurations.
So I ran my fist stripping run with 25 litres TPW ( which I was a bit suss on, because the Hydrometer was at about 1.10 )
The wash was completely clear, smelt " winey ' so figured there was alchol there to be extruded !
Using the Parrot was a great guide ( first time with that also ) , because I'm not sure what other guides there are to use on a stripping run ?
And the only thing I had to go off was the alchol content as shown by the Parot, and when to stop the run.
Hence a question or 2 to follow.
The Boiler was run at full power, and the flow of water did not seem to affect the flow of the Alchol, or the alchol strength %, that I could see ?
Can somebody advise on this please ? does it matter ? shall I run it so the water coming out is coolish / warmish / bloody hot ????
Alchol started at about 70%, then ran for much of the run at 60%, I shut down at approx 25%
Overall alchol content reading was 50%.
So I have another stripping run coming up in a few days, and will do the same thing if not advised otherwise.
Thanks again Stig !!!!
Think I'll be back in the 5 star store before long :handgestures-thumbupleft:
And thanks to all the other crew, who are more than happy to share their knowledge with others.
Regards
G&T
:text-thankyoublue:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ginandtonic
Site Donor
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:24 pm
equipment: Turbo 500, 2" Pot still.

Re: New 5 star Pot Still - Thanks Stig !

Postby The Stig » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:24 pm

Your more than welcome mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I’m glad you’re happy with the gear .
You know where I am if you need me :music-deathmetal:
The Stig
Site Nerd
 
Posts: 18352
Images: 9
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:37 am
equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Re: New 5 star Pot Still - Thanks Stig !

Postby BigRig » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:47 pm

Delete the last photo. Shows your name and address and phone number
Last edited by BigRig on Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigRig
 
Posts: 766
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:29 pm
Location: Brisbane, QLD
equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Re: New 5 star Pot Still - Thanks Stig !

Postby BigRig » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:57 pm

ginandtonic wrote:In my last post ( T500 as a pot still ) I was after advice on a pot still.
I decided to go with a 2" pot still from 5 Star, and a few adaptors to attach it to my "T500" boiler.
Service, delivery and quality I am extremely happy with, and I know I made the right decision, because obviously, this gear can all be added to and used in different configurations.
So I ran my fist stripping run with 25 litres TPW ( which I was a bit suss on, because the Hydrometer was at about 1.10 )
The wash was completely clear, smelt " winey ' so figured there was alchol there to be extruded !
Using the Parrot was a great guide ( first time with that also ) , because I'm not sure what other guides there are to use on a stripping run ?
And the only thing I had to go off was the alchol content as shown by the Parot, and when to stop the run.
Hence a question or 2 to follow.
The Boiler was run at full power, and the flow of water did not seem to affect the flow of the Alchol, or the alchol strength %, that I could see ?
Can somebody advise on this please ? does it matter ? shall I run it so the water coming out is coolish / warmish / bloody hot ????
Alchol started at about 70%, then ran for much of the run at 60%, I shut down at approx 25%
Overall alchol content reading was 50%.
So I have another stripping run coming up in a few days, and will do the same thing if not advised otherwise.
Thanks again Stig !!!!
Think I'll be back in the 5 star store before long :handgestures-thumbupleft:
And thanks to all the other crew, who are more than happy to share their knowledge with others.
Regards
G&T
:text-thankyoublue:



Water flow in to the condenser will not affect flow rate of alcohol, the boiler power input will determine the flow of the alcohol. The alcohol % will be determined by the alcohol % of the wash / low wines.

If your final low wines was 50% you can either strip further down to 20% at the parrot which should result in final abv of low wines of 40% or dilute the low wines to 40%. Being a tpw i would just dilute as you are not trying to get tp flavour carrying over like you would with a rum, bourbon or scotch.
BigRig
 
Posts: 766
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:29 pm
Location: Brisbane, QLD
equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Re: New 5 star Pot Still - Thanks Stig !

Postby bluc » Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:33 pm

:text-+1: never try control flow by product condenser water flow. Leave that on max..
bluc
Site Donor
 
Posts: 8989
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:47 pm
Location: sunshine coast
equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Re: New 5 star Pot Still - Thanks Stig !

Postby The Stig » Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:49 pm

bluc wrote::text-+1: never try control flow by product condenser water flow. Leave that on max..

:text-+1:
The Stig
Site Nerd
 
Posts: 18352
Images: 9
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:37 am
equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Re: New 5 star Pot Still - Thanks Stig !

Postby The Stig » Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:51 pm

BigRig wrote:Delete the last photo. Shows your name and address and phone number

I cant see anything Ben, please message me with the info to remove
The Stig
Site Nerd
 
Posts: 18352
Images: 9
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:37 am
equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Re: New 5 star Pot Still - Thanks Stig !

Postby BigRig » Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:18 pm

The Stig wrote:
BigRig wrote:Delete the last photo. Shows your name and address and phone number

I cant see anything Ben, please message me with the info to remove


Looks like it has been removed. Was G&T's purchase receipt :handgestures-thumbupleft:
BigRig
 
Posts: 766
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:29 pm
Location: Brisbane, QLD
equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Re: New 5 star Pot Still - Thanks Stig !

Postby INMATE » Mon Jul 01, 2024 2:52 pm

Hey mate, hopefully you're still about on here as I'm thinking about the same setup. I picked up a copper T500 and boiler unused on market place for $150 but looking at the 5 star 2inch pot still also. Pretty sure I just need the turbo lid adapter, atleast then I can do stripping runs and possible build the pot still up to be better later.
INMATE
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2024 3:12 pm
equipment: Just learning

Re: New 5 star Pot Still - Thanks Stig !

Postby The Stig » Mon Jul 01, 2024 3:21 pm

You are correct Inmate , all you need is the adapter to fit the pot to your boiler .
If all your using it for is stripping it’s fine but if you want to do a dark spirit (rum whiskey etc) then you will need a controller for the spirit run .
Cheers
The Stig
Site Nerd
 
Posts: 18352
Images: 9
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:37 am
equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Re: New 5 star Pot Still - Thanks Stig !

Postby WoodyD40 » Mon Jul 01, 2024 5:57 pm

ahh, a new convert to the FSD lego .... yahoo
WoodyD40
Site Donor
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:10 am
Location: Melbourne
equipment: Air Still for Gin
65l Alcoengine Boiler with FSD 4" Neutralizer with 4 plates and packed RC column
1 x 10 litre fermentor w air lock
2 x 30 litre fermentors w air lock
2 x 60 litre fermentors w air lock
Scored 2 x 220 litre containers to turn into fermenters

Kegland 2" Copper Reflux Still (Digiboil) - retired

Re: New 5 star Pot Still - Thanks Stig !

Postby The Stig » Mon Jul 01, 2024 7:56 pm

World domination is the aim :music-deathmetal:
The Stig
Site Nerd
 
Posts: 18352
Images: 9
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:37 am
equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Re: New 5 star Pot Still - Thanks Stig !

Postby Wellsy » Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:05 pm

Keep up the good work and it won’t be long Stig.
Everyone is always impressed when they see the five star gear in the flesh:)
Wellsy
 
Posts: 2275
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:48 am
Location: Victoria
equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits


Return to Pot Stills



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

x