My little 2"

Pot still design and discussion

My little 2"

Postby guerd87 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:28 am

Since Im nearly about ready to put down a wash I best be making a thread about my little setup.

Started with a package arriving from JayD :-D Also picked up 2 kegs from a mate. Not quite sure where he got them...or if I even want to know...

still 002.jpg

Put an order in from Mac for a 2400w element and a 4" SSG kit. He was having some issues with the glass so supplied me a stainless cap. He was happy to send me a glass one when he gets some more but im happy with just a stainless one. If I had of known better I would have got an element guard kit at the same time. instead I sourced locally an alloy project box from Jaycar and fitted it to the element. I used a weldless element so I just drilled a 32mm hole in the project box and fitted it to the stack before doing it up.

Power comes through a 15A lead, through a waterproof grommet and powers the element. The box and keg itself are earthed in case anything nasty happens.

Not overly happy with the welding job I got done on the 4" port. Engineering shops were too busy for a little piece like this and wanted to charge $150 to weld it on. That seems a bit dear to me. I dont know maybe thats the price you pay. I put an add up on FB for someone local to do it who has the gear. Stated that It needed to be backpurged and was pretty obvious it needed to be stainless welded. Got it back and I dont think it was backpurged as there was flakey, gunky stuff on the backside of the weld. That came off with a wire wheel fairly easily. The top weld looks good, but its painted? Not sure why you paint stainless weld. I hope its stainless.. :( It cost me a carton of XXXX gold to get it welded on so about $40 all up. Hope he didnt finish the carton before welding it :laughing-rolling:

still 003.jpg

still 004.jpg

As mentioned in the other thread i put it through a steam run to test it all out. Charged it with 20L of water and let it sit for few hours to test for leaks. Nothing leaking at all :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Turned it on and started to heat very quickly. Keg getting hot, tower getting hot and sound of boiling water. Nothing happening though :( By this time it looked like it was about to rain, I had my jacket on and it was fairly cold outside. Waited another 10min but it just wasnt working. Decided to take it inside to warmth and see what happens. Within about 30secs of being inside the tower filled up and I had liquid flowing out of the condensor :smile:

still 006.jpg

still 005.jpg

I picked up 2 x 25L fermenters the other day so now im ready to lay down a wash and get things going. Big :handgestures-thumbupleft: to Mac and JayD for great service and products. Will continue once I get some ingredients

John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
guerd87

equipment: 2" Pot Still over 50L Keg Boiler

Re: My little 2"

Postby JayD » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:31 am

It was a pleasure to do business with and I wish you all the best in your journey to become a Master Craft Distiller...this pot has the potential to teach you all you need to know about the art before you move on to bigger and better things...Remember to keep safety your first priorty, do good cuts and reap the benefits... :handgestures-thumbupleft:

...We use and recomend Mac's Element kits... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby philthy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:41 am

well done olmate, looken good :handgestures-thumbupleft:
philthy

Postby Andy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:46 am

i love new stills. it casts my mind back to the excitement of the first run, the "holy shit it worked," and then the grin after of a wonderful first drink.

Very nice set up there :)
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby Summie » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:53 am

Congrats mate good luck. Lol thou I like the heading my little 2" lol good luck bud.
Summie

equipment: Pura distilling reflux and boiler, 2.5" stripping pot still.
4" modular 4 plate bubble cap with 50 litre keg boiler.

Postby bt1 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:01 pm

Clean, simple and well setup. The best teaching tool in the game...a simple pot.

Learn to drive these babies and the craft becomes your oyster.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Jonno » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:33 pm

Mate it looks fantastic, that'll get you some nice drink :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Jonno

Postby AussieDistiller1989 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:42 pm

Looking good mate can't wait till mine is done.
And the keg with the blue strip looks to be the new
Line of CUB kegs :laughing-rolling:
AussieDistiller1989

equipment: 50lt pot still with a 30lt thumper with a
2" gooseneck and a Liebig

Postby Yummyrum » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:38 pm

AussieDistiller1989 wrote:Looking good mate can't wait till mine is done.
And the keg with the blue strip looks to be the new
Line of CUB kegs :laughing-rolling:

Thought I saw a small defect in that Keg .Its fine ......Hey guerd87 nice rig ...Those Pot stills might be the simplest of stills but you can never get sick of them ..Have some fun with it .

I like your element cover :handgestures-thumbupleft: Really do .would like to see whats under the bonnet
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby baysidebogan » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:36 pm

:handgestures-thumbupleft: Looks great,in the process of the same set up. Younger brothers are tradies,so no problem about fitting element,they`ll do it for a slab :D
baysidebogan

equipment: 2 inch JayD copper pot,50l keg 2400 mac element, and a 19lt pot still with thumper that sits on the stove in the kitchen

Postby guerd87 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:28 pm

Thanks for all the positive replies! :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Was so hard starting out wondering what type of still to go for, how much to spend etc etc. So many variables. So far happy with what I have now :-D

Finally get to use it soon after the many months of research and dreaming
guerd87

Postby jdonly1 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:27 pm

Nothing wrong with that mate,its a little rippa :handgestures-thumbupleft:
jdonly1

equipment: 50 litre pot still
315 Litre boiler and 4 inch stripper
2 inch VM on 50l Keg (now retired)
4 inch VM (aka the BIG PRICK) on 315litre boiler
Soon to come 6 inch Mac bubblier on 205 litre boiler
6 inch stripper on 300 litre boiler

Postby guerd87 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:21 pm

Still has been officially run in!

Done my cleaning runs last night. Good scrub out, vinegar run and then a cheap nasty ass vodka run. Still performed very well :)

My little station. Running 2 x 200L drums outside linked together for cooling supply.

guerd1.png

What my little man cave looks like, well half of it. Misses was having a great time on GTA 5 while I was fooling around and kids were in bed.

guerd4.png

All in preperation to run these

guerd2.png

Early this morning charged the boiler and prepped everything. Warm up seemed nor.al but still taking a long time to rise up the column. The bottom is too hot to touch and still takes half an hour to reach the top and start producing. Should I look at insulating the column?

300ml of fores pulled off and cut into 250ml lots. Ran out of jats at 4.25L so just ran everything else into demijohn down until 20%. Ended up with a total of around 7 L. Way more then I expected. Not lost though, will run with next batch.

Take off rate

geurd3.png

Still to do before next run:
More cut jars
Drain tap
Parrot. PITA taking readings otherwise
Heat controller!

Sorry for any bad spelling, posting from my phone.

Have the jars airing at the moment. first impressions smells good. If I get a chance to get on a computer I will rotate the pics unless someone can do it for me.

Cheers,
John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by JayD on Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: corrected orientation of photos.
guerd87

Postby forefold » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:54 pm

Z4^©©©©}

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk 4
forefold

equipment: BOKA - 50ltr keg, 3200w element, 2.5 " column

Postby Rumbummer » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:21 pm

G'day fellas.I have just recently made this pot still.I have run two batches of 20 liter Molasses based wash through it.The first batch tasted awful,the second one was a very drinkable Rum at 30%ABV about 2.5 liters.
I'll keep reading to find out what I'm doing wrong.
As soon as I find out how to post Pics, I'll show my rigs. Busy with a VM reflux at the moment.
Rumbummer

equipment: Pot still with 50 liter SS boiler and VM reflux still with 30 liter SS boiler.

My little 2"

Postby Dusty_ben » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:07 pm

I keep seeing these cooling set ups. I brought a pump but it pumps way to quick. How many lph are you guys aiming for. Help is much appreciated.
Dusty_ben

equipment: 50l keg boiler with a mac built 2" pot still. Also a cheap stainless 2" reflux from eBay

Re: My little 2

Postby Muppet » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:40 pm

Dusty_ben wrote:I keep seeing these cooling set ups. I brought a pump but it pumps way to quick. How many lph are you guys aiming for. Help is much appreciated.

You could plumb it with a tee and return line after the pump, on the feed line in. small valve and bleed of excess pressure/ flow back to tank before it gets to the inlet. I'm sure there's other ways but this makes sence to me
Muppet

equipment: T500, 4" 4 plate copper bubbler ;)

Re: My little 2

Postby Sam. » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:41 pm

Dusty_ben wrote:I keep seeing these cooling set ups. I brought a pump but it pumps way to quick. How many lph are you guys aiming for. Help is much appreciated.

If your talking pot still, the quicker the better. Never really measured my output on a pot run, just let your condenser tell you if its enough ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Return to Pot Stills