Newbie Condenser Question?

Pot still design and discussion

Re: Newbie Condenser Question?

Postby Yummyrum » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:36 pm

I think the basic concept of removing the packing would turn this into a pot still for sure ....but...I am fairly sure I read somewhere that this particular still has a reducer (a plate with a very small hole drilled in it) fitted just before or after the output valve so as to "idiot proof" it so that the user has little control of reflux ratio.

In other words ,you can not run it flat out with the valve wide open because the reducer cause mmost of the condensed distillate to fall nack down the column.
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Vatoe » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:57 pm

Yummyrum wrote:I think the basic concept of removing the packing would turn this into a pot still for sure ....but...I am fairly sure I read somewhere that this particular still has a reducer (a plate with a very small hole drilled in it) fitted just before or after the output valve so as to "idiot proof" it so that the user has little control of reflux ratio.

In other words ,you can not run it flat out with the valve wide open because the reducer cause mmost of the condensed distillate to fall nack down the column.

Correct :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Vatoe

equipment: Pure distilling spirit maker

Postby CHEROKEE » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:26 pm

Hello Moonshine Millar

What an interesting topic, with plenty of constructive advice from everyone.
Next year will be soon, your going to love that bubbler. Mac will sought you out,
you can't fault the gear. CHEERS :handgestures-thumbupleft:
CHEROKEE

equipment: FSD Mac-4 SSG 4 Plate 6 inch Bubbler on a 80 Litre, 6000 Watt Keg Boiler.
IBC cooling system utilising a 4 inch submersible bore pump.

Newbie Condenser Question?

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:38 am

With these rigs you have no control over reflux. It's a set heat and a set takeoff speed valve. I wouldn't pull the packing out, you'll never ever get it back in right - ask crow :-)

But that said your abv is very low for these stills. I'd consider checking your alcometer as I'd say that you would have to be pulling 92-93+ with one of these rigs.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Moonshine Millar » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:57 pm

AGHHHHHHHH......

I put the wash through without removing inners today, got 1l of neutral.... no flavour.... WTF :handgestures-thumbdown: way below expected yield ....
Moonshine Millar

equipment: Beer Me 30L Reflux Still

Postby MacStill » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:40 pm

Two very valuable assets in this game are.... a wash hydrometer & patience :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Another is the right still for the job, you'll be battling to get anything flavoursome from that pure distilling rig 8-} they're a vodka/neutral still :-p

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby CHEROKEE » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:52 pm

Think of that Bubbler Mate, next year is nearly here........................no excuses, just Top quality product. Cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
CHEROKEE

equipment: FSD Mac-4 SSG 4 Plate 6 inch Bubbler on a 80 Litre, 6000 Watt Keg Boiler.
IBC cooling system utilising a 4 inch submersible bore pump.

Postby Moonshine Millar » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:33 pm

Wash reading was 980?????
Moonshine Millar

equipment: Beer Me 30L Reflux Still

Postby Brendan » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:13 pm

Yummyrum wrote:I think the basic concept of removing the packing would turn this into a pot still for sure ....but...I am fairly sure I read somewhere that this particular still has a reducer (a plate with a very small hole drilled in it) fitted just before or after the output valve so as to "idiot proof" it so that the user has little control of reflux ratio.

Oh I see, was thinking it was just a standard Boka...well that's just shithouse then.

I see you've already found out, but you won't get flavour out of a column with packing. You could essentially be running your wash through a 10 plate column! :o

If you distilled the lot down to the tails, you could keep all the low wines until you get your bubbler, then it's not wasted...or maybe you couldn't get it all out with this rig?
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Previous

Return to Pot Stills