White rum in a pot still

Pot still design and discussion

Re: White rum in a pot still

Postby MacStill » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:23 am

Dominator wrote:Quick to judge there Mac??? Remember, if not for peoples desire to think beyond the norm we would still be using pot stills with a worm condenser or HBS reflux and turbos. :think:

Not at all Dominator, I didnt call the forums majority...... sheep ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Canadoz » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:34 pm

It seems to me that the entire commercial distilling industry hasn't necessarily been "doing it wrong" for hundreds of years.

Perhaps it's just that the popular method i.e.: Strict cuts. That prevails within the home distilling community has far greater BIG positive outcomes that recommend it. We all enjoy the headache free smoothness of carefully cut hearts in our final spirits. However, there are flavor elements (deemed undesirable by most of us) that are lost with aggressive cuts. Perhaps the Negatives of the headache and the fire of the heads are not completely without their positive trade-offs in certain cases within reason? :think:
Canadoz

equipment: Modified stainless Keggomax CM reflux column, Copper 2" modular pot still with shotgun condenser. 50L Keg boiler w/ 3500W & 2500W elements, Phase angle controller.

Postby Yummyrum » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:34 pm

Thankyou Canadoz for getting the essence of what I poorly tried to say and articulating it perfectly...that is exactly what I was wanting to say without any offensive inuendoes that my have come across.

One should sometimes not speak :angry-banghead:
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Previous

Return to Pot Stills