Airstills - Banter me hearties!!

Pot still design and discussion

Re: Airstills - Banter me hearties!!

Postby Chips Molasses » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:22 pm

still head.JPG

I just won this on ebay, I thought I would have to pay a fair bit, I had bid $80, I figured it was worth that if I didnt have to spend the time making one... I got it for $4.25 Worst case - its worth that in scrap!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chips Molasses

equipment: 2 inch column, pot still 50l gas fired keg boiler. Soon to be 2x 3000w electric.

Postby Newstilla » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:51 pm

Chips Molasses wrote:I just won this on ebay

I'd be making sure it isn't stuck together with lead solder prior to use :-B
Newstilla

equipment: Glass perforated plate bubbler and an ancient design homemade CM stainless still that needs tweaking or chopping!

Postby George.bryant.nz » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:19 am

I started off with an airstill, me and the mrs were at the brewing shop getting some beer supplies when she saw the bloody thing and bought it. Probably used it about 30times. Was good to learn with and I don't have a huge problem with the airstill apart from the time the bloody thing takes to do a run plus the fact I had no idea it was a potstill until i started reading about distilling a lot more, the off taste of the turbo washes that are promoted to be used in the air still was also not very pleasant.

Cost us $299.00 NZD and came with the filter companion pack. I was in Mitre 10 the other day and saw a still for sale identical to the airstill but in different packaging and marketed as a water distiller with a price tag of $350.00 NZD which I found rather amusing.

But honestly i've only used my new still once and that was a cleaning run...
George.bryant.nz

equipment: Copperhead combo boiler, copperhead reflux head, copperhead pot head, air still, 2 x cooper fermenters, 1 x imake fermenter. Hydrometers, alchometers and various other bits and bobs.

Postby Smbjk » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:26 am

Newstilla wrote:
Chips Molasses wrote:I just won this on ebay

I'd be making sure it isn't stuck together with lead solder prior to use :-B

:text-+1: my exact thought. Please please be carefull and test for lead first :pray: very important ;-) and on closer inspection it looks as it has some kind of silicone sealant on it. I would really clean this beast down first and make some serious adjustments as the conection looks to be 1/2" you may want to cut the bottom off and make a 2"flange to connect to a keg or other style boiler. This rig really needs some work :handgestures-thumbupleft: and also doesn't seem to have a condenser in the top to reflux your wash :think: you might have to make one of those
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:45 am

Looks like a pot still that used to have a thermometer to me... As said, if be checking for lead and changing the bottom to an easy flange, slapping it on top of a keg and starting to pump out some top quality whiskey!
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Chips Molasses » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:21 pm

Will do, just have to get it home.
Chips Molasses

equipment: 2 inch column, pot still 50l gas fired keg boiler. Soon to be 2x 3000w electric.

Postby Chips Molasses » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:46 pm

FOT1846_resized.JPG
Its much bigger than it looked.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chips Molasses

Postby Choppadick » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:56 pm

If its any help to the air stillers I have been using one for some time now & find that pre heating the wash in an old electric kettle can save an hr in heat up time if watched closely, staying away from the boiling point. Just heat enough to take the pressure of the air still element on a cold wash going in each time. Cheers
Choppadick

equipment: Air still & a Keggomax 2" CM Reflux Still 50lt boiler with 2200 watt element .water supply from ground bore & return. 5 klw solar power. Primo charcoal griller.

Postby noname4670 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:35 pm

nothing wrong with the humble air still i run 2 of them not all of us have the space required to set up a pot still with a recirculating water supply
noname4670

equipment: 58L Weelie bins x2
Airstill x2
50L Stainless Steel Keg
and a whole lot of other stuff

Postby noname4670 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:50 am

@Frothwizard: takes me about 12 hours or so for a 25L batch dont need much sleep so it is not a problem for me lol
noname4670

equipment: 58L Weelie bins x2
Airstill x2
50L Stainless Steel Keg
and a whole lot of other stuff

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:17 pm

Frothy is now running an FSD Neutralizer... I think he's doing a bit better than 500ml/hr :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby WesternSlurper » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:49 pm

Frothwizard wrote:I look at it this way.

With cutting / double distilling, if I can make a Scotch or Bourbon that is a grade above the store bought midrange ~ $50 mark, then I probably won't be getting sick of it very soon. I'm not the most discerning drinker in the world, but my taste buds DO work.

Then again, you may be right...to be honest, I'm just excited to be making my own stuff....Spirits and Cider.

Mate I'll drink to that.Im to old and bloody stupid to try anything other than an Airstill at the moment,but if these super pisspots want to rev me up thats fine.I enjoy a good verbal stoush :) And anyway the gear wont be here before early next week, so I'll just have to persevere with this chivas regal :teasing-tease:
WesternSlurper

equipment: Air Still Spirit Distillery

Previous

Return to Pot Stills