Questions for the Experts

Pot still design and discussion

Questions for the Experts

Postby Dyno » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:23 am

Hey guys. After some discussion last night with a mate we have decided to spring for an FfSD Modular Pot and hopefully a 100L Milk Can. These are the questions he asked that I couldn't 100% answer so wanted to put out there.
Currently I use a 25L boiler with 2000w element, voltage controller, 2" x 700 riser into a 1.2 m leiberg, half over three quarter jacket. It takes 2 hrs round about to strip that 25L so x that by 4 fermenters and it's a lot of time. Add in the spirit run and it's another full on big day with 25 L of 40% half power. It does make good grog but we want to cut those run times

Our biggest question is with the FSD rig are we looking at being able to cut down our time on a spirit run ? And still make decent cuts or will we still be running the thing at the same flow /output ? Does the extra size on the still ie 3-4 inch v my 2inch only an advantage on being able to speed up the stripping side of things?

Can I get a recommendation on element size that can be run off 10amp . Don't want to install 15amp so need to purchase accordingly.

I know all this has been answered in different places on the forum but if anyone more experienced can fill in the above,I can print it off for him in one clean go. And in exchange for some detailed info I will put up my gear at some stage soon at Santa rates to help out a more noob than me...thnx heaps fellas
Dyno

equipment: Home made Pot

Re: Questions for the Experts

Postby the Doctor » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:36 am

mate firstly congratulations on getting the new still... I cut my teeth on a 4 inch column and still love using that still. Your take rate will increase as the 4 inch column will produce more than your old still for sure...but the run speed is something that is determined more by the quality of spirit you are after than some arbitary speed determined by the size of the column.I can run my stills hard all day and double my output...but the resulting spirit is less than stellar. even with my 8 inch columns I will sometimes run them slow...because that is where I am getting the very best results... When distilling it is good to be flexible with your run...I live a kilometer above sea level and have noticed that atmospheric pressure changes can change the optimum run rate ( and the boil and evaporation temps of the different spirits )... So I guess the best thing is to not allow yourself to set an optimum flow rate , but better to take the time to assess the optimum run rate based on all the variables on any given day.
cheers
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby Zak Griffin » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:04 am

If you've only got a single 10amp circuit to run an element on, you're limited to a single 2400W element which is going to take a long time to heat 100L of wash. A 50L boiler might be a better option - bigger isn't always better for everyone.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby bluc » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:24 am

2400w element per 10a outlet :handgestures-thumbupleft: Note this will max the power point circuit and if you want to use other stuff on the same circuit then you may want to look at 2000w elements to give you a bit of leaway for pumps etc unless of course you have mutiple power points good luck :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Dyno » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:11 pm

Thanks for the replys fellas. Have no shortage of power points, prolly 5 within a 4m radius of where I'm setup. I think I know where I'm going now. Will try n reach FSD this week as the site is very slim pickings at present. I'll make sure they are on seperate circuits... or at least a couple of them anyway
Dyno

Postby scythe » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:12 pm

Just a small correction.
One 10A element per 10A circuit, not GPO (power point).
All those powerpoints may be on the same circuit so you are limited to 1 element, not 5.

Best to test what powerpoints are on what circuits.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:58 pm

Simple plug 5 different things in the 5 outlets and start turning off your breaker supply if they all go off together that means 1 element only
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby rumdidlydum » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:57 pm

If your wanting to cut down your run times and are going halves with your mate, get a bubbler :O)
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby Doubleuj » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:04 pm

rumdidlydum wrote:If your wanting to cut down your run times and are going halves with your mate, get a bubbler :O)

:text-+1: :text-+1: :text-imwithstupid:
I can't believe how little I have to run now and how much stock I have aging. I love my bubbler. But, start with the modular pot and you can buy the bubble plate sections as your finances allow
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Dyno » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:40 pm

Aussiedownunder01 wrote:Simple plug 5 different things in the 5 outlets and start turning off your breaker supply if they all go off together that means 1 element only

Did that this arvo and there's 2 circuits so all good
Dyno

Postby Dyno » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:47 pm

Doubleuj wrote:
rumdidlydum wrote:If your wanting to cut down your run times and are going halves with your mate, get a bubbler :O)

:text-+1: :text-+1: :text-imwithstupid:
I can't believe how little I have to run now and how much stock I have aging. I love my bubbler. But, start with the modular pot and you can buy the bubble plate sections as your finances allow

I was considering that but decided on running with what I know. Maybe we should go the bubbler. Im fkn hopeless at making decisions. Makes it harder when it's half someone else's dosh too...lol
Dyno

Postby TasSpirits » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:19 pm

I was a dedicated pot stiller until I got the FSD modular pot and milk can, didn't take long before I got some tees, now its a 4-5 plate bubbler with packed section and I'm building another 1, At least you can upgrade the Pot later :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:35 am

Dyno wrote:
Aussiedownunder01 wrote:Simple plug 5 different things in the 5 outlets and start turning off your breaker supply if they all go off together that means 1 element only

Great nothing to stop you now
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby wiifm » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:12 am

Sounds like you enjoy the flavour of pot stilled. Maybe grab the fsd pot and just two tee modules.

This will save you doing the strip/spirit run routine but still give the bold flavours you like.
wiifm

equipment: 4 plate glasser using FSD bubble caps

Postby Dyno » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:34 am

wiifm wrote:Sounds like you enjoy the flavour of pot stilled. Maybe grab the fsd pot and just two tee modules.

This will save you doing the strip/spirit run routine but still give the bold flavours you like.

Thats a good idea Wiifm. Would two tee modules be suitable for a single run on Whiskey & Rum ?
Dyno

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:00 am

I liked pot stilled spirits too, until I tried bubblered spirits ;-)
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby Kenster » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:13 pm

Zak, in response to your statement... really, what is the difference in(taste?) between the pot v bubbler output and why, isnt the process similar?
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby Zak Griffin » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:25 pm

The bubbles aren't just pretty to watch mate.

Magic happens on them there plates.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby rumsponge » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:00 am

Dyno wrote:

with 2 circuits you will be able to run 2x2400W elements. Just to get you an idea, thats what I use on my 50L insulated boiler. with a 40L charge, it takes about 40 minutes to get up to temps. this will at least double if you go to 80L charge/100L boiler.
Here is a useful calculator:
xcalcs.html

Imho, stay with a 50L boiler or find some way to add more power to it (talk to your electrician).
cheers, rs
rumsponge

equipment: FSD 4" Neutralizer, 50L keg boiler with 2x2.4kW elements, 60L and 200L fermenters

Postby Dyno » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:28 am

wiifm wrote:Sounds like you enjoy the flavour of pot stilled. Maybe grab the fsd pot and just two tee modules.

ok...So after reading through this thread and all the replies, which I'm really grateful for, we have decided on a 50L milk can, 2 x 2400 elements and the modular pot still.

Just one more Q regarding the addition of plates into this modular system

1. What would I be doing by adding a couple of plates into the modular setup and also do I also need to run an RC as I see other plated columns have ? Or is it as simple as Wiifm suggests above by just adding the T sections ? If this takes away the stripping run then it sounds like an absolute winner. I guess I just cant understand the magic of having the plates ( and I have read a shit load of stuff on here trying to get my head around it )
Dyno

Next

Return to Pot Stills