Scubadrivers Gin machine build

Pot still design and discussion

Scubadrivers Gin machine build

Postby Scubadriver » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:12 am

Hi All

Been lurking and reading here a while but thought i should start posting my build thread with pictures. The plan started as a simple 3" pot still but seeing as i got given 2.4m of 4" copper pipe i thought i may as well go 4" column, 4" RC, 4" carter head and a 2" shotgun PC.
IMG_5840.jpg

I also have the pieces already chopped ready for a plated column, thats if i can work out how to make this one first
IMG_5777.jpg

first attempt at an easy flange
58445091746__5CA19B67-B6AA-48E9-A56D-79CEE606212C.JPG

soldering some more 4" rings for the flanges
IMG_5837.jpg

IMG_5838.jpg

one side of this easy flange kept pooling the solder and it just kept dripping off, but the other side worked much better and it seemed to just flow into place.
IMG_5843.jpg

IMG_5842.jpg

soldering a few reducers together
IMG_5845.jpg

Need some advice on which carter head orientation i should go with, this one has the sight glass and thumper housed in the same section
IMG_5841.jpg

and this one has a longer thumper pipe into a separate section meaning it can hold more liquid and the sight glass is in the lower section too, do people fill the liquid from the top part where the basket goes? also how much liquid are people using?
IMG_5840.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scubadriver

equipment: Pot still

Deflag and carter head built but not used yet.

Re: Scubadrivers Gin machine build

Postby scythe » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:57 am

Looks good so far,
2nd configuration would reduce the overall height of the still if you wanted to run plates under it.

I don't think carter heads are used like a thumper, the liquid is drained as it gets too high, you don't pre-fill as far as I know.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby MaKa » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:14 pm

scythe wrote:I don't think carter heads are used like a thumper, the liquid is drained as it gets too high, you don't pre-fill as far as I know.

No reason why you can't add liquid like a thumper. I have done it with my Carter head. You can pick up some great flavour with this method
MaKa

equipment: FSD 4" Neutraliser
FSD Carter head
T500 pot still with a 2" FSD modular head

Postby bluc » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:20 pm

@scythe If not used as a thumper why does the inlet pipe face down and go to bottom of liquid chamber....To further increase flavour by bubbling the vapour through the liquid oils? Is how I understood it...
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Scubadriver » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:09 pm

Yep that’s how I understood it too, I’ll put some small slots in the bottom of the pipe to encourage bubbles like others have done.
I will go with the larger thumper section too, will benefit from the reduced height, hadn’t thought of that, thanks.

Is there any videos of someone running with a carter head and showing how they run it with or without liquid infusion, I had a look but couldn’t see any?
Scubadriver

equipment: Pot still

Deflag and carter head built but not used yet.

Postby db1979 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:28 pm

The tube faces downward so the heavy oils that drip down and collect at the bottom don't make their way back to the boiler where they can be problematic to clean. This is why there's a tap to drain off the oils before the oil level gets so high it goes back up the tube (and then into the boiler). A longer tube will mean you can run for longer before having to drain but I'm not sure if this is a worthwhile use for copper.

When the oils drop down they take some of the flavour components with them. These get recovered to some degree by having the vapour bubble through them.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby P3T3rPan » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:47 am

db1979 wrote:The tube faces downward so the heavy oils that drip down and collect at the bottom don't make their way back to the boiler where they can be problematic to clean. This is why there's a tap to drain off the oils before the oil level gets so high it goes back up the tube (and then into the boiler). A longer tube will mean you can run for longer before having to drain but I'm not sure if this is a worthwhile use for copper.

When the oils drop down they take some of the flavour components with them. These get recovered to some degree by having the vapour bubble through them.

This
P3T3rPan

equipment: Self made 100mm copper,6 perforated plates plus packed section on 50L ss keg
60L fermenters. Offset Carter Head
3v beer rig

Return to Pot Stills