FSD pot still questions

Pot still design and discussion

FSD pot still questions

Postby Tanker » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:54 pm

Ok, so i have no distilling experience, but have been doing lots of reading and trying not to ask silly questions.

I'm committed to distilling a decent bourbon, so that brings me to pot stills, in particular the five star range. I notice there are a couple on the fsd website. The 2 inch pot still and the 4 inch modular pot. Apart from the obvious modularity,

Is one "better" than the other?

Is the output speed/volume of one better than the other?

Does column height have any bearing on a pot still?

I have a standard beer keg, that i plan to modify to an electric boiler, what size element and controller would the group recommend for the above stills?

Thanks guys, love the forum, so much to learn. cheers
Tanker

equipment: Newbie, no equipment as yet

Re: FSD pot still questions

Postby bluc » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:13 pm

Only silly question is the one you DONT ask right before blowing up shed /house.. upgrade path is what you want. If you.like a drink your gunna love this hobby :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Lesgold » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:30 pm

Hi Tanker,
I built a 2” pot still on a 50l beer keg boiler. Added 2 x 2400w elements. Use both elements for heat up and generally run 1 for stripping runs at full power. One element is fine but heat up time is much longer. A 5 star controller works well to control power on spirit runs. Would highly recommend that.
Lesgold

equipment: Pure Distilling reflux and pot. 2” modular CCVM/ 1150mm column, 50l boiler with 2x 2400w elements.

Postby scythe » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:09 am

2" pot work just as well as the 4" just not as quickly.
Advantage of the 4" is that when you want to move on to a bubbler (and most people do) you can just add bits to your 4" pot so you have note "wasted" money on bits your not using anymore.

Height can play a small part in pot shilling as you will get some small amount of passive reflux the taller it is.

2x 2400w elements will see you through,
Use both for heat up, or stripping runs
Turn 1 off once distillate starts to come out and control the other with a power controller on a spirit run.

But before you embark on a keg build actually sit down and work out what it will cost you, a milk can boiler will generally work out about the same if you can't do the welds your self.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby Professor Green » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:46 am

Hey Tanker,

Good advice from Scythe. I would opt for the 4"pot if I was looking to pot still on a 50 litre boiler.

It's definitely worth checking out the cost of a keg build if you cannot weld it up yourself and those 5 Star 50 milk can boilers are pure sexiness. The elements that 5 Star sell are the best you can get.

Assuming you're using domestic supply so 2 x 2400W run from separate circuits would be the go:
https://www.5stardistilling.com/product/weldless-2400w-element-guard/

5 Star also sell a good quality power controller:
https://www.5stardistilling.com/product/power-controller-kegland/
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Tanker » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:27 pm

Thanks for the feed back guy's,
If i went for the FSD milk can boiler, which i believe has a 4 inch still mount. this would mean i wouldn't need the 4in to 2in reducer that comes with the 4in pot still. Would there be any benefit swapping the reducer out for a 4in straight section?
Tanker

equipment: Newbie, no equipment as yet

Postby The Stig » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:43 pm

Go for the 500mm packed section.
This will then be of use later when the rig grows up :handgestures-thumbupleft:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby NoHope » Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:34 am

I’m also looking at getting the 4” modular pot from FSD as they look very well made and like to ask if it is the best way to go for rum as well and will keep the flavours
NoHope

equipment: T 500 25Ltr Boiler
4inch modular pot still
50 litre milk can boiler

Postby The Stig » Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:15 am

Will be perfect for rums .
You will need to “support” some of the weight if putting it on the T500 boiler otherwise it will try to pull the boiler over .
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Wellsy » Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:53 am

:text-+1: about the weight and pulling the boiler over.

I was super lucky and the five star 4 inch pot was were I started, I had it on the 50 litre boiler as well.

These units are fantastic and have allowed a complete novice to brew enjoyable bourbons, rums will be the same if that is your thing. The 4 inch gives an upgrade path if you want that once you have been brewing for a while.

I can not recommend the quality or advice and backup from five star highly enough. Ask lots of questions on here, listen to the answers and ignore what you see on moonshiners and Facebook and you will be making safe enjoyable drinks before you know it :)
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby NoHope » Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:05 am

Hi to all i have the 4” modular pot from FSD installed on my T 500 boiler and its a fantastic bit of gear no complaints there but my dinky lid on the boiler really cant handle the weight i have supported the weight of the 4" modular from the roof with chain and a turn buckle for adjustment as well as chain from the 4" to the adjacent wall to keep it at 90 deg to the boiler and would like to know of anyone else's method to support the 4" modular and will it be ok to run if i cant get the 4" modular standing up at 90 deg , im planning on getting the 50 milk can boiler once i can get funds approved from my accounting dept ( wife) Cheers
'
NoHope

4inch modular pot still
50 litre milk can boiler

Postby howard » Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:38 pm

NoHope wrote:Hi to all i have the 4” modular pot from FSD installed on my T 500 boiler and its a fantastic bit of gear no complaints there but my dinky lid on the boiler really cant handle the weight i have supported the weight of the 4" modular from the roof with chain and a turn buckle for adjustment as well as chain from the 4" to the adjacent wall to keep it at 90 deg to the boiler and would like to know of anyone else's method to support the 4" modular and will it be ok to run if i cant get the 4" modular standing up at 90 deg , im planning on getting the 50 milk can boiler once i can get funds approved from my accounting dept ( wife) Cheers
'

i have a similar boiler and use a pulley system.
2 x small pulleys, a small cleat hook and some suitable rope, all from the big green shed.
the silicone tube goes around the top 90degree bends.
i can change it to a hook to lift my biab when i'm straining a ferment-on-the-grain wash.
BTW (and i stand to be corrected)if you are using a t500 boiler and not an open flame, you may not need to have the PC sticking out at an angle (as in the FSD picture), reducing the side pull?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
howard

equipment: 35l brewzilla
2" modular CM
gin caddy
changeover element switch and voltage controller on brewzillas 1900w element.
5L glass boiler/glass leibig

Postby NoHope » Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:19 pm

This is the setup I have now
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NoHope

4inch modular pot still
50 litre milk can boiler

Postby iOnaBender » Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:47 pm

NoHope wrote:This is the setup I have now

:handgestures-thumbupleft: Good one NoHope

I use the same setup, broken down from the bubbler. My bracing has evolved since first days!

1. Just gotta do that 1st gin run at all costs.....rags and cable ties

2. 2" and 4" pipe clamps with 10mm all thread in between

3. 2" pipe clamp secured by bolt & washers to shed upright (C section)

The bolt, nut, washer aren't fully tightened going through the C section, this gives me the option to unclip boiler lid and push down on end of PC to raise lid off boiler for removal. I'm happy with this outcome!

Cheers
Last edited by iOnaBender on Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iOnaBender
Site Donor

equipment: FSD 4" Mac 5 SSG
125ltr NANO Pro boiler
FSD 2" Pot Still
75ltr Insulated Mash Tun
95ltr HLT

Postby MarkA » Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:52 pm

I use two chains and two turn buckles, at right angles, to pull my column back into plumb. The turnbuckles have a hook
at one end, that hooks under the lip on the boiler. It works well with a 2" shotty hanging off it. I loop the chains above a
sight glass, which is clamped to the lid.

Hope that helps
MarkA
Site Donor

equipment: Still Spirits T500 with copper reflux column
2" sight glass
FSD 2" pot still with shotgun condenser
FSD 50L milk can boiler with 2- 2400w elements, 4" to 2" reducer
Liebig condenser
FSD 2" Boka
FSD 4” Neutralizer

Postby NoHope » Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:57 am

Thanks for your input I will probably get another turn buckle to pull it back into shape also someone mentioned to change the angle of the condenser to bring it more inline with the boiler the trouble is the parrot isn’t square and level am I missing something
NoHope

4inch modular pot still
50 litre milk can boiler

Postby The Stig » Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:11 am

If you want the condenser straight up and down you’ll need to remove the 45 deg bend that angles the parrot.
But , I think you won’t be able to run the parrot as it’ll be on the boiler
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Return to Pot Stills