Distilling in General

Pot still design and discussion

Distilling in General

Postby grasmere » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:43 pm

I have distilled a 35 Ltr Whineo recipe. Pot distilled and added oak chips hoping for a whiskey. Tasted today and cannot find words to describe , because I haven't tasted anything like it before. It certainly doesn't taste like any whiskey that I have had before. Is somebody having a joke?. It looks as though I will have to chuck the entire amount out
grasmere

equipment: BeerMe Spirit Maker with Reflux Column, 35 Ltr Brewzilla with Pot and Reflux and 35 Ltr Fermzilla Fermenter

Re: Distilling in General

Postby Lesgold » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:48 am

That recipe is a simple sugar wash designed for making a neutral. No flavour carry over and wouldn’t produce anything worth keeping if aged on oak ( as you have found out) Try one of the breakfast cereal washes or a corn based wash such as a BWKO or a UJSSM if you want flavour. I would suggest starting with the breakfast cereal washes first and when you are comfortable with your techniques, progress to one of the corn based generational washes.
Lesgold

equipment: Pure Distilling reflux and pot. 2” modular CCVM/ 1150mm column, 50l boiler with 2x 2400w elements.

Re: Distilling in General

Postby dans.brew » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:34 am

Don't chuck it just yet.. run it slowly through your reflux still and you'll get some nice neutral.
The bwko is a nice simple recipe to run through your pot and makes a ripper drop after a bit of time on oak.
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Return to Pot Stills