T500 boiler help

Pot still design and discussion

T500 boiler help

Postby sammyi19 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:18 pm

Hi guys I've been searching for hours and hours and I continue to find conflicting scenarios and I've put myself in a complete spin. I got the t500 as a present a couple months ago and after my initial putrid run with turbo stuff (may certainly have been user error) I've stumbled upon this forum and have since made some neutral with
T.p.w and making cuts. So here's me making all these neutrals and using essences or wood chips or both to find a whiskey flavour I like (haven't been entirely successful)
and it's got me to the point I'm looking at pot still heads. Now I know ss have a alembic lid with column condenser to fit the boiler but at $500 it makes the mind wonder. Do I bite the bullet and buy just the pot lid for $250 ish and make the column. Or would it be possible to just take the reflux column off the stainless lid that comes with a t500 and then put on a built copper column and Condenser to make it a pot still? That would be my far preferred method if possible. I also looked into de-tuning but upon reading this forum it's said for safety reasons with plastic parts to not do it. Sorry if this has been asked in a round about way on Forum but I could not for the life of me find it.
sammyi19

equipment: Still spirits T500

Re: T500 boiler help

Postby The Stig » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:49 pm

You can buy the turbo lid adapter from 5 Star and then your free to use whatever pot head you want on your boiler
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Wellsy » Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:06 pm

I would recommend getting the adapter lid mate and getting the 2 inch pot still from 5 star.
It will probably cost a little more but it will certainly be quality mate and we’ll worth the investment.
I can’t recommend strongly enough to jump on the phone to Andrew at 5 star, he will give you genuine advice with no obligation to buy. He simply relies on the quality of product and after sales service , he does not need to pressure anybody.
You won’t regret it Sammy
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby wynnum1 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:22 pm

T500 Stainless Steel Replacement Lid can also be purchased and can put adaptor on with the pot still and not have to convert each time.
wynnum1

Postby sammyi19 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:09 pm

Well dam. In all the looking I've been doing and I promise there has been some obsessive behaviours in my online looking I've never seen that attachment.
Question on the pot still attachments they have, they don't appear to be copper, I was to believe the copper is necessary for whiskey and helping with flavours?
sammyi19

equipment: Still spirits T500

Postby Wellsy » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:17 pm

The pot still comes with copper mesh mate but it is inserted with8n the still on a spirit run only, it is not needed for the strip run. That was all included in my 5 star pot still mate, but I had no idea I needed it lol. That is the advantage of talking to Andrew he can make sure you have a total turn key solution mate. He makes everything so easy
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby bollo » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:24 am

There are plenty of good option, I myself started with a t500 & bought the copper lid not sure if it made a difference & when I enquired about the SSpot head I was told not to bother it is very restrictive & will flow very slowly, I have since gone to PD reflux & just recently ordered myself a DH pothead to go on my boiler, If you can weld stainless or have a mate that can you could also buy the stainless steel feral & have it welded onto the stainless steel lid, I have just ordered a few, I went for that option over the adapter as the ID is much bigger say 35mm over 48mm.
bollo

equipment: T500 until I got sick of watching the water temp, now I have a PD reflux & love it. T500 sits in the naughty corner :-)

Postby The Stig » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:03 pm

bollo wrote:35mm over 48mm.

The inside of the adapter is 40mm and the inside of a 2" ferrule is 47mm
Thats going to make a heap of difference in flow rates isnt it :angry-banghead:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby bollo » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:31 pm

The Stig wrote:
bollo wrote:35mm over 48mm.

The inside of the adapter is 40mm and the inside of a 2" ferrule is 47mm
Thats going to make a heap of difference in flow rates isnt it :angry-banghead:

Stig, my mate has one & he measured it he tells me the ID is 34mm, or so he tells me. Not sure if it would make a massive difference but instead of buying an adapter I order 2' ferals & will tig weld them on.
Last edited by bollo on Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bollo

equipment: T500 until I got sick of watching the water temp, now I have a PD reflux & love it. T500 sits in the naughty corner :-)

Postby silverbean » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:06 pm

bollo wrote:my mate has one & he measured it he tells me the ID is 34mm

I think your mate may have a 1.5 inch ferrule, the inside on those is 34mm and the flanges are 2 inch which is where some people get confused. A 2 inch ferrule has 2.5 inch flanges.
silverbean

equipment: Small 9L pot with Liebig. 30 Litre boiler under 2inch copper Pot/CCVM combo.

Postby RC Al » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:26 pm

Depends where the adaptor was purchased, obviously the five star one is a better product cause the 40mm is the biggest opening ive seen listed for one of those, 38mm is another common size, the threadded bits take up real estate, oils aint oils :teasing-tease:
Last edited by RC Al on Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Return to Pot Stills