Convert reflux to pot

Pot still design and discussion

Convert reflux to pot

Postby rushn » Sun May 09, 2021 9:21 pm

I have an Alcoengine reflux still on a 35L Digiboil that I'd like to be able to run as a pot still on occasions. The Alcoengine comes with interchangeable 0.6mm and 1.0mm restrictors. I know I can remove the packing from the column and use the 1.0mm restrictor to kinda run it as a pot still, but I was thinking about purchasing another restrictor and drilling it out to, say, 4mm to increase the take-off rate so I could run the boiler at 2400W for stripping or dial the power back and run slower for whiskey. Would this work better than using the 1.0mm restrictor? I thought of removing the restrictor completely and adjusting the ball valve to the desired opening, but reckon this might be too fiddly to set correctly.

Ideally I'd purchase a pot still for my boiler, but funds don't permit that at the moment (ie: the bride) :smile: .

Thoughts on the best way to approach this?

TIA
rushn

equipment: Modular SS on Digiboil

Re: Convert reflux to pot

Postby BigRig » Mon May 10, 2021 10:58 am

I found the 0.6mm to be useless so i only ever used the 1mm restrictor. rather than buying a new piece i would drill out the 0.6mm restrictor to whatever diameter you wanted and stick with the 1mm for your standard reflux use.

save your pennies for when you can afford the pot still :handgestures-thumbupleft:
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby rushn » Mon May 10, 2021 1:30 pm

Thanks BigRig. Yeah, I only use the 1.0mm restrictor on my reflux spirit runs - like you say, the 0.6mm turns a 25L wash into an 8 hour distilling affair.

Good idea drilling out the 0.6mm.

Cheers
rushn

Postby JustChilln » Sun May 07, 2023 1:46 pm

Gday
I've just come across this post and I am in the same boat
What was your outcome?
Cheers
JustChilln

equipment: Digiboil boileralcoengine copper reflux still with 250mm extension packed with copper mesh

Postby rushn » Sun May 07, 2023 4:05 pm

JustChilln wrote:Gday
I've just come across this post and I am in the same boat
What was your outcome?
Cheers

I bought a pot still :)
rushn

Postby JustChilln » Tue May 09, 2023 6:38 am

Hi Rushn
Thanks for your reply.
Which pot still did you go to, and how is it working out?
Looks like I need to save my pennies and do the same
JustChilln

equipment: Digiboil boileralcoengine copper reflux still with 250mm extension packed with copper mesh

Postby rushn » Tue May 09, 2023 7:31 am

JustChilln wrote:Hi Rushn
Thanks for your reply.
Which pot still did you go to, and how is it working out?
Looks like I need to save my pennies and do the same

A lot of water (ethanol?) has gone under the bridge in the last couple of years since this thread started. I've changed pretty much everything in that time, and now use a fully modular stainless steel setup so I can convert between basic pot and reflux as needed. I purchased a Chinese-made 2" system from a supplier in Melbourne, then additional bits 'n' pieces from various online stores as I needed. I found this to be the most economical solution (I didn't have big bucks to spend), and I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the Chinese-made gear. I actually ripped the condensor out of the Alcoengine reflux still and modified it slightly so I could make my new stainless system into a CCVM :)

If you want a very basic (cheap) pot still, the Alcoengine unit does the job, but you'll need a power controller if you use an electric boiler.

I'm not sure if that helps you or not...

Cheers
rushn

Postby The Stig » Tue May 09, 2023 7:56 am

This will suit : https://5stardistilling.com/product/2-pot-still/
You’ll need a lid adapter as well.
Cheers
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby JustChilln » Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:54 pm

Thanks guys.
Gives me heaps to consider and save some $$ for
Cheers
JustChilln

Postby Wellsy » Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:37 am

Gidday Chillin

I cant recommend the 5star gear highly enough mate. If you look at the 5star pot still you will be able to use it if you upgrade further down the track. Most started out the same way mate with very limited budgets, but as we started producing quality enjoyable product it became easier to justify the expenditure.

My next upgrade will be a 2 story house so I can get the height needed to put in extra bubble plates. I have told the missus it is an ideal heating system as all the everseas snow countries use steam to heat their houses and essentially stills are just steam makers.

Shhh dont say anything to burst this reality bubble lol.

Welcome to the rabbit warren lol
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Return to Pot Stills