First still build (modular pot)

Pot still design and discussion

First still build (modular pot)

Postby JustChilln » Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:44 pm

I have an Alcoengine reflux on a Digiboil boiler and had added a 250mm stainless extension, packed with copper mesh
I wanted to run a pot still style still for stripping runs, before collecting the resulting spirit and diluting to low wines, before putting it all through the reflux still.
I also wanted to have the options later to run grains to make whisky or molasses etc to make rum
Like most of us I don't have unlimited funds, so decided to use what I had and add components to make the pot head
I used the copper packed extension as a base the added the 2 90degree elbows. I then connected a 2" to 1 1/2" reducer connected then to a 1 1/2" shotgun condenser and end cap outlet

My first run was a sac run at the end of a spirit run through the reflux, using the balance of the wash. Abv to start was 39% and ran it down to 20%.
Spirit coming out was a constant dribble, I'd call it not slow not fast so not sure how it will go as yet on my first run with WBW
Which should be in a week or so. Not sure how fast or slow it ahould be, maybe .eaving the extension packed slows it down?
Any and all comments and suggestions most welcome

Sorry about sideways pics!! New to this game lol!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by JustChilln on Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JustChilln

equipment: Digiboil boileralcoengine copper reflux still with 250mm extension packed with copper mesh

Re: First still build (modular pot)

Postby The Stig » Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:47 pm

Pic didn’t take
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby JustChilln » Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:54 pm

Hope this works!,
Tried to upload video to dhow flow but wouldnt accept mp4
Last edited by JustChilln on Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JustChilln

equipment: Digiboil boileralcoengine copper reflux still with 250mm extension packed with copper mesh

Postby RuddyCrazy » Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:04 pm

Hi Chillin as that looks to be all SS make sure you have some copper in the vapour path, all I did with my pot still was throw a length of 1/2" pipe up the spout
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby JustChilln » Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:17 pm

Hi ruddy
Yes the ss straight section out of the lid is packed with 2 rolls of copper mesh
I leave it in for both pot and reflux
Cheers
JustChilln

Return to Pot Stills