Air Stills 101 : which one and why :

Pot still design and discussion

Air Stills 101 : which one and why :

Postby mikejwoodnz » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:02 am

Air Stills were not designed for Distilling Spirits however they can be adapted for distilling alcohol and I can make a passable "neutral" which can form the basis for infusions, macerations, essence addition and even faux whiskey, whisky, vodka, rum etc. The best fermentable I have found to use for these is common white table cane sugar and the best yeast to use was Gert Strands's 48 Hour Turbo Yeast which is sold world wide under various resellers labels. The yeast packet contains all the required vitamins, minerals and additives plus a killer yeast strain capable of fermenting 8 kg of sugar, dissolved in 25 litres of water, to 20 % in a reasonable time span. I am not discussing any fermentable wash other than this. I have tested and documented and photographed all the steps and can supply the "evidence" if requested. What works for me is a 2 week cycle mixing into a standard homebrew beer keg 8 kg of white table sugar, 2 jugs of hot water, fill up to 25 litre with cold water, stir in 1 packet of 48 Hour yeast, turn on the heat pad (put the keg on it before you fill it!). I leave the lid loose for the first 24 hours then put it on with the "bubbler" air lock which will bubble for approx 5 days - when it stops turn off the heat pad and over the next day or so rack off the wash into a 25 litre cube and allow it to sit undisturbed to flocculate for another week then I take 4 litres off to test and run the rest of the wash into a 20 litre cube for storage and dispensing. I have taps on the bottom of my cubes and by taking the product from there the flocculated yeast and sediments are left behind in the empty cube. I've never managed to complete a fermentation in 48 Hours and never achieved 20 % final wash but I find I get a clean 18%+ wash every time using my flocculation method - no clearing agents and no charcoal required. 8 kg sugar, 1 pkt Turbo, 25 litres water - 18% wash. OK enough of that

The three Air Stills tested : (I'll discuss these next post)
3 air.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mikejwoodnz

equipment: 75 litre SS "Milk Can" Pot Still, Onion Head, 1.5m Copper Liebig, SS Fermenters, AirStills . . .

Re: Air Stills 101 : which one and why : 2

Postby mikejwoodnz » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:03 am

OK the 3 Airstills I have pictured are from the left a "VodkaMaker" heating set @ 320 Watts, a "WineDistiller" fitted with a variable heat controller up to 750 Watts and a "WaterDistiller" with heating fixed @ 750 Watts. Air Stills I see commonly sold in New Zealand for water distillation have their heating fixed @ 560-580 Watts. Leaving the "Winedistiller" to one side for the moment the common theme of both the "Vodkamaker" and the "WaterDistillers" is take appropriately 1 hour for heatup and the "Vodkamaker" then takes 4 hours to distill 1 litre of Alcohol and the "WaterDistillers" take 4 hours to distill 4 litres of water. I believe the "VodkaMaker" was created in good faith by people who thought distilling alcohol in an AirStill might be a good thing to do in New Zealand where home distilling is specifically legal. However they do not seem to have appreciated the effect of "boiling" alcohol in a small container - "bumping" or surge boiling is common resulting in a sudden surge of a single large bubble which will blow the top of the Airstill. They appear, by reading their historical instructions, to have attempted to counter this by first decreasing the heat source then supplying and recommending a bottle of "Distilling Conditioner", Defoaming Agent to release Carbon Dioxide and stop "foaming of unfermented sugars" - recommended dosage 3mls. Later they recommend and supply a small packet of ceramic Rasching Rings to prevent boilovers.
Boiling chips must be used at all times in any AirStill when distilling alcohol to prevent surge boiling which will result in the top "blowing off" and spraying the surrounding area with hot liquid - neither pleasant nor necessary - use boiling chips, rings marbles small chains whatever - it is non-negotiable. OK so we have the "VodkaMakers" producing 1 litre of alcohol in roughly 5 hours and the "Waterdistillers" producing 4 litres of distilled water in roughly 5 hours - both including a 1 hour "heatup" period and both with a 4 litre still charge. Next I will describe a method to produce 1 litre of alcohol in just 1 hour total using the "Waterdistiller" and how and why this is possible.
mikejwoodnz

equipment: 75 litre SS "Milk Can" Pot Still, Onion Head, 1.5m Copper Liebig, SS Fermenters, AirStills . . .

Re: Air Stills 101 : which one and why : 3

Postby mikejwoodnz » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:04 am

Using a water distilling AirStill to Distill Alcohol :

Waterdistilling AirStills are more powerful than "Vodka Distillers" because they are designed to distill a 4 litre water charge at a higher heat 100 C than an Alcohol Still @ appropriately 80 C. However the Vodka Still makers appear to have overlooked an important principle - within reason no matter how much heat you apply to a mixed boiling pot of water and alcohol, a simple distillers wash, it can not "boil" at a higher temperature than the accepted range of 78.5 for grain alcohol and 100 C for water. This, therefore, creates for us a window of opportunity in the time it takes to bring a Waterdistiller up to the vaporisation point of pure water. For the most part, no doubt because of the requirement to distill (turn back to liquid) the steam with an airfan on the top of the pot their heating elements are set between 560 to 750 Watts any more possibly proving to be too fast for the air fan to distill - the distilled liquid seems to come out at a steady 50 c and the heat up time for this is about 1 hour. It is this one hour that provides our "window of opportunity" because any alcohol present will be for the largest part distilled off in this 1 hour heat up time - the time it takes to heat the pot to 80C, the boiling point of alcohol which is obviously less than the time it takes to bring the pot to 100 C.
So to produce approximately 1 litre of alcohol in 1 hour all we need to do is load the Waterdistiller with 4 litres of fermented "distillers" wash.
I made the following wash to try this out this is a simple sugar wash designed to produce "Tafia" which is closer to Silver Rum than Vodka as it can have a little residual sweetness and a fully bouche or mouthfeel.
8 kg of sugar,made up to 25 litres plus 1 packet of "48 Hour" turbo yeast mix.
I fermented this for about 5 days on the heatpad (as in homebrewing beer) then allowed it to settle for a couple of days then racked it off into another container to flocculate and settle for another week - say 2 weeks total. This produced a clean wash bordering on clear.
1. put boiling chips in the pot.
2. add 4 litres of wash to the pot of your Water Distilling AirStill
3. turn on the Airstill with a suitable container under the spout.
4 in less than 1 hour you will have collected 800 mls of 60+% ABV alcohol
5. my next 200 mls was approx 40% ABV
6. mixed together gave me 1 litre of 60% ABV
7. Mixed the 1 litre with 500 ml of water gave me 1.5 litres of 40% ABV "Tafia" in one hour.
Your results my vary depending on the ABV and composition of your wash which brings me to the next most useful thing an AirStill can do :
How to measure the ABV of a fermented wash and predict the total outcome of your wash.
mikejwoodnz

Re: Air Stills 101 : which one and why : 4

Postby mikejwoodnz » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:05 am

AirStills : How to measure the ABV of a wash and predict the total outcome of your wash.

Measuring the ABV of a Wash - very simple and elegant -
1. measure 2 litres of wash into the Potstill after adding boiling chips.
2. run off approx 40% or approx 800 mls into a 2 litre container
3. top up the container to 2 litres with water
4. pour some into your alcometer
5. read your alcometer - this is the ABV of the wash

Not convinced ? OK do it again and take of 60% 1.2 litres and do the above or even more accurately weigh 2 litres of water then weigh the 2 litres of distilled alcohol and water and measure the difference.

How to predict the expected output of a stripping run:

1. Most of the usefull output in a stripping run is in the first 40%
2. Put 4 litre of wash into the Airstill after adding boiling chips
3. Run off 40 % or 1.6 litres
4. pour some into your alcometer
5. read your alcometer - this will be the ABV of a 40% stripping run
That is to say if you are stripping say 50 litres in your main potstill then the first 20 litres will contain the above ABV %
6. or try running off just 1 litre, that is 25% of the wash, and the ABV of that will represent a 50 litre stripping run runout to 12.5 litres.
Either or both of these tests can provide useful information like "Has the wash REALLY finished fermenting to it's full potential ?" as predicted from a previous hydrometer test. Or quick checking a new recipe or yeast. You can also, by connecting your parrot, make informed predictions as to where you could be looking to make your "cuts" in the main run.
The point being you can use any combination of the above principles to test and predict the unknown outcome of an existing or future wash using just a simple AirStill table top water distiller which of course runs without water and can be instantly turned off and on again should the need arise.
I've got some photos with time data collection and ABV rates if anybody has any interest in these I'll be happy to put them up.
mikejwoodnz

Re: Air Stills 101 : which one and why : 5

Postby mikejwoodnz » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:07 am

I was asked : "I'm with you so far...but if I had only my airstill, what's the 'killer app'?"

"It is possible by paying special attention to your wash - after all it's what you put in your wash and how you treat it that is the artisan part of simple potstilling and learning how your 4 litre table top "airstill" will perform is just as easy. By paying particular attention to detail - once you know the constants the variables become obvious."

I've posted a simple Sugar Wash Recipe up above try :

1. 6.5 or 8 kg of white table sugar
2. Add water to the 25 litres mark
3. Add 1 pkt of "48 Hour" Turbo Yeast
4. Allow to ferment 5-7 days
5. Rack it off and allow to flocculate for anther 5-7 days
6. Distill it
7. Cut to 40% with water - you now have "Tafia" - similar to Silver Rum

None of the above Thread is obviously of interest unless you want to make a simple sugar based neutral for an AirStill or find out the % ABV of a wash you intend to distill in another still or to test run a stripping run for a pot still.
The "Tafia" could be used for a simple alcohol base for store bought Spirit Flavoroids, fruit infusions such as Limoncello, Schnapps etc etc and you could also run off a litre of booze whilst sitting at your dinning table eating your dinner prior to the big game on Tele or impress your dinner guests by running them off a bottle of faux Laphroaig to go with the after dinner cigars - true Table Top Distilling

The deal maker of "Water Distiller" v "Vodka Maker" is 1 litre of Alcohol in 1 hour using the WaterDistller as opposed to 5 hours using the VodkaMaker.
mikejwoodnz

Re: Air Stills 101 : which one and why :

Postby crow » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:29 pm

Hi the concern I have with this information is the safety issue of contaminated spirit . I understand that the outlet on the water distillers is made of plastic and as its made of plastic designed for carrying hot water not volatile hot ethanol there may be a danger of potently toxic or carcinogenic compounds leaching into the spirit . Realizing there will not be an endless supply of these compounds on the surface you may be able to argue you could re distill the first few batches but I don't see how someone could tell without getting the spirit tested , at what point the spirit is safe to consume . I think it would pay to get in touch with the manufacturer , find out what who supplies the plastic molding and find out from them what the chemical compounds are in the plastic used and how stable they are in hot ethanol before using or recommending a product like this for distilling without modifying it . Anyway I'm not trying to be a smart arse and not all plastic's are dangerous but as this product was designed for water not ethanol it would something the manufacturer wouldn't have had to take into consideration , so it stands to reason that it may well be
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Frank » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:25 pm

Hi Mr Wood and welcome BTW... :handgestures-thumbupleft: and thank you for a considerable and detailed contribution here

For sure, there's LOTS of good stuff IMHO..... so, please can I ask three questions...
1. how was the 5 hours per litre for the Still Spirits (320w) airstill calculated as, even with a winter coldwash startup and using, say, a TPW (ie low ABV% wash) I have never spent 5 hours getting 1 litre :? regardless of what was included in the calcs?
2. what made you decide to do high volume fermentables/abv%/Turbo-type washes, given the typical smell/flavour/filtering-type issues with an Airstill?
3. how can a faux Laphroiag be made straight from the still? Mate, its ok if this a p#sstake/in joke that I am too stupid to get.... or does smoking cigars really stuff up one's tastebuds that much or... :doh: I'd really like to know? ...
Frank

Postby mikejwoodnz » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:33 pm

Frank wrote:Hi Mr Wood and welcome BTW... :handgestures-thumbupleft: and thank you for a considerable and detailed contribution here

For sure, there's LOTS of good stuff IMHO..... so, please can I ask three questions...
1. how was the 5 hours per litre for the Still Spirits (320w) airstill calculated as, even with a winter coldwash startup and using, say, a TPW (ie low ABV% wash) I have never spent 5 hours getting 1 litre :? regardless of what was included in the calcs?
Ans: With a clock and I have the pics and also pics of a side by side "race"

2. what made you decide to do high volume fermentables/abv%/Turbo-type washes, given the typical smell/flavour/filtering-type issues with an Airstill?
Ans: I don't have these problems - see techniques above.
3. how can a faux Laphroiag be made straight from the still? Mate, its ok if this a p#sstake/in joke that I am too stupid to get.... or does smoking cigars really stuff up one's tastebuds that much or... :doh: I'd really like to know? ...
Ans: same as any other faux "label" by adding additives to the distillate

OK I'm off to Philippines to escape our winter in a day or two so will be restricted as to my replying ability to further posts for a while :dance:
mikejwoodnz

Postby mikejwoodnz » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:40 pm

croweater wrote:Hi the concern I have with this information is the safety issue of contaminated spirit . I understand that the outlet on the water distillers is made of plastic and as its made of plastic designed for carrying hot water not volatile hot ethanol there may be a danger of potently toxic or carcinogenic compounds leaching into the spirit . Realizing there will not be an endless supply of these compounds on the surface you may be able to argue you could re distill the first few batches but I don't see how someone could tell without getting the spirit tested , at what point the spirit is safe to consume . I think it would pay to get in touch with the manufacturer , find out what who supplies the plastic molding and find out from them what the chemical compounds are in the plastic used and how stable they are in hot ethanol before using or recommending a product like this for distilling without modifying it . Anyway I'm not trying to be a smart arse and not all plastic's are dangerous but as this product was designed for water not ethanol it would something the manufacturer wouldn't have had to take into consideration , so it stands to reason that it may well be

The two airstills on the right in my photo, the "wine distiller" and the "water distiller", are made by the some manufacturer and share the same "still head" - just different marketing labels - I bought both at the same time from the manufacturer - I assume they know what they are doing. :shhh:
mikejwoodnz

Postby crow » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:41 pm

mikejwoodnz wrote:
croweater wrote:Hi the concern I have with this information is the safety issue of contaminated spirit . I understand that the outlet on the water distillers is made of plastic and as its made of plastic designed for carrying hot water not volatile hot ethanol there may be a danger of potently toxic or carcinogenic compounds leaching into the spirit . Realizing there will not be an endless supply of these compounds on the surface you may be able to argue you could re distill the first few batches but I don't see how someone could tell without getting the spirit tested , at what point the spirit is safe to consume . I think it would pay to get in touch with the manufacturer , find out what who supplies the plastic molding and find out from them what the chemical compounds are in the plastic used and how stable they are in hot ethanol before using or recommending a product like this for distilling without modifying it . Anyway I'm not trying to be a smart arse and not all plastic's are dangerous but as this product was designed for water not ethanol it would something the manufacturer wouldn't have had to take into consideration , so it stands to reason that it may well be

The two airstills on the right in my photo, the "wine distiller" and the "water distiller", are made by the some manufacturer and share the same "still head" - just different marketing labels - I bought both at the same time from the manufacturer - I assume they know what they are doing. :shhh:

Looked into this a bit more seems they won't go on record to say the product produced is safe, I know what their doing their making money and lots of it and I stand by what I said. I personally would be very uncomfortable recommending someone use a water distiller for ethanol and personally wouldn't drink anything that came out of any of them unless they were modified but that's just me
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby StillWaters » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:29 am

IMG_6209.JPG
Hi, as a "newbie" who started with a 580 watt water type distiller, I can say that I have had no issues with it. I have read various articles about the quality of the output and how to improve it and, while it takes a little longer, double distilling gives a very clean neutral. I have also progressed to the point where I use a Parrot (see pic) and this enables me to do a "stripping run" down to 20% ABV and then a spirit run taking various cuts. OK, so I'm retired and have a bit more time on my hands, but the difference between a single run and double distilling is chalk and cheese. Santa delivered a new pot still (25 ltr) to help me make a decent Single Malt Scotch, but I will keep my AirStill for good neutral in small batches. The other real secret as mentioned above, is taking the time to get the clearest possible wash before distilling. Again this takes time but the pleasure of producing good, clean smelling, alcohol far outweighs the impatience to get drinking only "passable" stuff. Cheers, SW
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StillWaters

equipment: 25 Litre boiler, 2" double reduction Boka still, 2" copper pot still and a Parrot

Postby StillWaters » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:35 am

Just one further adjunct to my earlier post, make sure the water distiller you ultimately buy has all stainless steel construction in the "head" part. The only plastic in mine is the final spout section. The contact with the ethanol is minimal so I believe there is little to no risk in using it (I certainly want to live long enough to enjoy making and drinking my new Malt from the pot still) :0)
Cheers, SW
StillWaters

equipment: 25 Litre boiler, 2" double reduction Boka still, 2" copper pot still and a Parrot

Re: Air Stills 101 : which one and why : 2

Postby gramie » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:29 pm

mikejwoodnz wrote:OK the 3 Airstills I have pictured are from the left a "VodkaMaker" heating set @ 320 Watts, a "WineDistiller" fitted with a variable heat controller up to 750 Watts and a "WaterDistiller" with heating fixed @ 750 Watts. Air Stills I see commonly sold in New Zealand for water distillation have their heating fixed @ 560-580 Watts. Leaving the "Winedistiller" to one side for the moment the common theme of both the "Vodkamaker" and the "WaterDistillers" is take appropriately 1 hour for heatup and the "Vodkamaker" then takes 4 hours to distill 1 litre of Alcohol and the "WaterDistillers" take 4 hours to distill 4 litres of water. I believe the "VodkaMaker" was created in good faith by people who thought distilling alcohol in an AirStill might be a good thing to do in New Zealand where home distilling is specifically legal. However they do not seem to have appreciated the effect of "boiling" alcohol in a small container - "bumping" or surge boiling is common resulting in a sudden surge of a single large bubble which will blow the top of the Airstill. They appear, by reading their historical instructions, to have attempted to counter this by first decreasing the heat source then supplying and recommending a bottle of "Distilling Conditioner", Defoaming Agent to release Carbon Dioxide and stop "foaming of unfermented sugars" - recommended dosage 3mls. Later they recommend and supply a small packet of ceramic Rasching Rings to prevent boilovers.
Boiling chips must be used at all times in any AirStill when distilling alcohol to prevent surge boiling which will result in the top "blowing off" and spraying the surrounding area with hot liquid - neither pleasant nor necessary - use boiling chips, rings marbles small chains whatever - it is non-negotiable. OK so we have the "VodkaMakers" producing 1 litre of alcohol in roughly 5 hours and the "Waterdistillers" producing 4 litres of distilled water in roughly 5 hours - both including a 1 hour "heatup" period and both with a 4 litre still charge. Next I will describe a method to produce 1 litre of alcohol in just 1 hour total using the "Waterdistiller" and how and why this is possible.

The one on the left is what i am using, holds 4 litres of wash takess app 3 hrs to do 1200 mls, A brew shop near me is selling them for $199.00. Am happy with mine :text-coolphotos:
gramie

equipment: Air still

Return to Pot Stills