First Copper Pot Still Condenser Build.

Pot still design and discussion

Postby Milky » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:36 am

Hi All. Thought I'd share this with you all.

My friend & I both have a Pure Distilling Reflux Still. I have only been on this forum for a couple of weeks.
My friend has had his for 2 years now. I just got mine for my birthday and am yet to give it a go. My friend & I thought of mucking around trying to make a pot still condenser of our own based on the Pure Distilling Pot Condenser. I'm an Aircraft Structural Technician & thought it would be a sweet project.

Below is a pic of the Pure Distilling Pot Condenser.

uploadfromtaptalk1366410800076.jpg

It is made from 2 inch copper tube. I found a 10 foot length of 2.5 in copper tubing in our scrap metal bin a contractor had thrown out so I nabbed it and started work.

I haven't silver soldered or TIG welded for a couple of years & figured that I could probably TIG weld the copper rather than soldering. It worked out really well, using thin strips of copper sheet as the filler rod.

So the next thing was to work out a lid attachment. We didn't want to buy an extra Pure Distilling boiler lid for $28 so I mentioned to my friend I could try knocking up one from copper sheet on our Piccolo (stretching & shrinking machine). I just went straight ahead & formed it without annealing the sheet. Next time I will anneal the sheet to get a deeper concave but for now it will do. I used the Jenny Form roller to roll the 7/8 in lip then stretched it flat back in the Piccolo. Then in the Jenny for the 1/4 in lip finished by had on our metal stake forming table.

Here is a pic of the lid fitted on the boiler
uploadfromtaptalk1366410722450.jpg

My friend bought a 3 metre length of 1/4 tube for $17 & rolled the coil at his house then we brazed some brass air fittings for a garden hose on the end of the coil & then TIG welded a cop on the end of the condenser after putting the coil in. My friend also bought a 2.5 in to 2 in copper reducer for $12 because we were going to braze a 2 in brass pipe thread fitting to this condenser so we could use the Pure Distilling SS lid he already had. I TIG welded the reducer on. The brazing didn't work so we decided to just TIG weld the condenser to the copper lid I made. Well, it worked really well.

Here is the final product before he cleaned it up.
uploadfromtaptalk1366410399587.jpg

And here is a pic he sent me last night of its first cleaning run with a heap of slops and wines he had left over. This is after he cleaned it with citric acid. Came up looking good.

uploadfromtaptalk1366409858093.jpg

It all took around 4 hours and cost him $30. Not bad considering Pure Distilling want $460 for there version.

He will give it a proper test in a week or 2 and i will post back the results here. If it goes well ill make 2 more for the both of us with a little more care & will silver solder the hose fittings on the coil.

Walker, out. 8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Milky

equipment: Bender The 4" Copper Bubbler
Bender The 50L Electric Keg Boiler (2 xoxo 2000w 5 Star Elements)
Pure Distilling 2 Inch Reflux Still with 30 Litre Electric Boiler (2000w)
Homemade Copper 2 Inch Pot Still Condenser to fit the 30 Litre Electric Boiler.

Re: First Copper Pot Still Condenser Build.

Postby JayD » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:52 am

I have seen those types of pot heads in the brewing shops and they are real expensive, nice job... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby Milky » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:28 am

Thanks JD.

It was a bit of a challenge but a really good small project to start. If it works on my friends run then we will make another 2 but take more care. This condenser will keep us going until be both refine our skills. Who knows, there could be a couple of shotgun or bubbler builds later this year.

See how we go with what we have got. Still (haha) got lots to learn.

I'm going to make a parrot next but just need to practice my silver soldering.
Milky

Postby JayD » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:30 am

Your Welcome, a man with your skills and tools at hand should go for broke.... and build a bubbler... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby blond.chap » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:17 am

Pretty...
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby crow » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:35 pm

Nice job :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby googe » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:44 pm

Nice work.mate maybe you should start selling them.and undercut pure distilling :))
googe

Postby Sam. » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:29 pm

In sure with your metal bashing skills you will be able to knock up something better than the HBS can offer
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:44 pm

What is it about birthdays & stills? I got my pure distilling reflux for my birthday last year too.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby rb20Siliva69 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:00 pm

Hey dude,
Of course it came up good I helped you make half of it... Lol.
Nar walker did a great job he is pretty skilled. It also seamed to work pretty well thou for a first try, flow was about 4 l/hr (nice tooth pick size). Being the first time I've operated a pot still of anykind It kept alot more aroma and taste than I expected.
That being said it will be modified a little bit:
1- Lyne arm will be extended about 3" as I think we made it a bit short in comparison to the Pura distilling pot still
2- an extra thermometer hole will be made just behind the condensing coil; I think it will be a better indication of temp closer to the condensing coil (will put one in to see the difference between the two locations)
3- I think the out put pipe (I guess you call it that) needs to be 5/16" instead of 1/4".
Apart from that I think it will work quite well.

I'm wondering does anyone really care about temp, does every one just use ABV to know when to stop taking spirit completely; because of the location of the thermometer it seemed to operate above the usual temps in use to seeing with the Pura distilling still (boka style).
rb20Siliva69

Postby SBB » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:42 pm

As a rule of thumb a thermometer is pretty well useless on a pot, though I do know a few who say they are useful when making gins and a few other things such as Ouzo, After playing around a bit with Ouzo and watching a few gin runs being done im beginning to think they might have a place for some things.
Having said that I cant be sure the same thing cant be achieved by using a parrot and going on ABV.
Its something Im going to be working on soon when I make more Ouzo.

Edited once or twice for spullun and stuf.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby 1 2many » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:40 pm

I keep getting amazed by the different types and variations .I love it .Thats realy cool sharp and to the point. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Andy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:38 pm

i really like that design. working with the boiler you have to enhance it. having both a reflux still and pot still will give you such versatility :handgestures-thumbupleft:

i run a pot still and i don't even own a thermometer.... Take cuts and measure ABV
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby rb20Siliva69 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:25 pm

Hey guys did a second strip run with pot still we made using a 25l turbo wash (Samuel Willard's 24hr(funny it still takes a week))
For interest sake I took SG 1025 finished on 880 after 6 days and 8 kg of sugar I also squeezed I lime in it for something to do which from normal cut the fermenting time in half for some reason anyway not important.
I thought I would do a run and measure ABV and temp thought it would be interesting here where the results.
Switched on the boiler at 1740( forgive me for the 24 hour time) and was finished at 2043, after fores I started taking spirit at 1843.
75abv@87.2(1843), 73abv@87.8(1851),
70abv@88.7(1902 I had 2l), 67abv@89.6(1914),
63abv@90.8(1928 I had 4l), I had 5l at 1943 (1 hour),
53abv@93.6(1954), 43abv@95.5(2013 I had 7l),
20abv@98.1(2043 I had 8.75l)
After two hours I had finished with 8.75l at 55abv which I'm pretty stoked about for this little pot we made.
(Don't judge me on the turbo I have recently found my self on this forum and are changing my ways. I was just excited to get the pot running. Hope the above is easy to understand).
rb20Siliva69

Postby Colin Smith » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:56 am

You have a silva with a rb20 :law-policered: nice ... Anyway love the still too.. :drool: post a pic of tha S13
Colin Smith

equipment: T500 novice

Postby Milky » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:52 am

What about a pic of the still in the S13?
Milky

Postby Colin Smith » Fri May 03, 2013 2:37 pm

Even better... :happy-partydance:
Colin Smith

equipment: T500 novice

Postby Milky » Wed May 29, 2013 9:31 pm

Competed Mk II last Friday. Clean run it last night. Performed well. This time I made the column out of 2 inch and still TIG welded it all but silver soldered a 2 inch brass fitting so I could use the stainless steel lid my boiler came with instead of making a copper bowl.
Made the copper bowl but didn't have time to finish it.
Gave it all a polish this time and a coat of clear.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Milky

Postby Linny » Wed May 29, 2013 9:35 pm

Looks good... think I might drop down tomorrow
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby bluc » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:04 pm

Great compact build what is this style of condenser called?
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Next

Return to Pot Stills