What boiler?

Pot still design and discussion

What boiler?

Postby Potmash Boka » Wed May 01, 2013 9:01 pm

G'day who out there knows what size boiler I should put this on and how to connect it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Potmash Boka

equipment: 2" pot and 4" thumper, 4" pot, 2" SS reflux, 2.5" Boka. 4" 5 plate bubbler( almost done, need to some bits and to make the column round again). SS boiler, 80L keg, 50L keg and a 30L keg boilers.
Various pieces of copper pipe laying around for future experiments.

Re: What boiler?

Postby Camikaze » Wed May 01, 2013 9:20 pm

Hey PMB,

Firstly, why don't you head on over to the welcome centre and say g'day. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Is there a thread on that nut on the end? If not, you can saw it off and weld a ferrule on it. It'll then fit a sanke keg no probs. That way you can add a section to get some height/packing depending on what hooch yr after. At that length, you'll want an electric boiler.

Boiler size?

How long you got for a run?
How much you wanna make?
How much space do you have etc etc the list goes on.

Give us a bit more info and we can help out mate. ;-)
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby Potmash Boka » Wed May 01, 2013 9:41 pm

The nut is threaded but to the internal of the column, otherwise it's smooth on the inside. A mate gave it to me so thought I might use it for small recipe runs. Thought about putting a 500mm packed column underneath it for cleaner runs then remove packing for straight pot runs.ie rum and whisky. :teasing-blah:
Potmash Boka

equipment: 2" pot and 4" thumper, 4" pot, 2" SS reflux, 2.5" Boka. 4" 5 plate bubbler( almost done, need to some bits and to make the column round again). SS boiler, 80L keg, 50L keg and a 30L keg boilers.

Postby Camikaze » Wed May 01, 2013 10:07 pm

Can't beat a keg for a quality boiler at a good price. Easily modified and heavy duty.

That nut - maybe you could chuck a thread gauge on it and work out the thread size.... I would lop it off and weld on a metre of tubing with a ferrule on the end and stuff it with structured copper mesh.

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby Potmash Boka » Wed May 01, 2013 10:28 pm

Pretty much my thoughts. Got the keg already but only has 2" ferrule on it. Got another one I'm going to put a 4" onto with a 8" fill. Should be done in the next fortnight
Potmash Boka

Return to Pot Stills