FSD Pot Still

Pot still design and discussion

FSD Pot Still

Postby Sam. » Mon May 06, 2013 7:56 pm

Here is my Five Star Distilling rig set up in pot mode. Here is the full FSD setup in all its glory in case you have been living under a rock and haven't seen it :laughing-rolling:

Now the usual way you would have seen pics of this in pot mode would be with it connected to a normal 2 inch keg opening. Lucky me I have a 4 inch ferrule on my 80L boiler so it ends up looking like this

Pot 1.JPG

Pot 2.JPG

As you can see all the parts used are what is used for some of the bubbler, no extra's required. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

It doesn't really matter what size opening you have as you can get all different reducers. I have a 3 inch to 4 inch reducer for the other keg pictured below.

Also due to the tri-clamp system on the joins you can adjust the height of the outlet to wherever you wish so can do cool shit like this 8-)

Pot strip to keg.JPG

As for how fast it can strip all I have managed with my (current) substandard cooling setup is 10 Litres per hour. The problem with my cooling it that I just bought new hoses for the still and I could bring myself to cut them up so I have 30 metres on the input and 30 metres on the output which has dramatically slowed my flow rate, I am currently only getting 2.5L a minute through the still. :crying-blue:

Once I harden up and cut my hoses down it should improve :handgestures-thumbupleft: With a proper setup I should be able to get around double the stripping speed I currently have :happy-partydance:

It still wont be perfect as where my pump is, it's still a good 10m from were I need to run my still :handgestures-thumbdown:

There is a short video of it in action in this video but that was aimed more at the boiling of the wash.

Anyway, once I have the cooling sorted I will take a decent video at full noise and post in here :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Re: FSD Pot Still

Postby bt1 » Mon May 06, 2013 7:59 pm

geez,

I got a woody...

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby googe » Mon May 06, 2013 8:03 pm

Nice setup mate, versatile. Why do you need a pot though when youve got the bubbler you have? :shock:
googe

Postby JayD » Mon May 06, 2013 8:12 pm

Very nice rig Sam... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby Sam. » Mon May 06, 2013 8:13 pm

googe wrote:Nice setup mate, versatile. Why do you need a pot though when youve got the bubbler you have? :shock:

I had 180L of TPW sitting there and why not use my new pot instead of the old :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Also still have my VM/LM Reflux until I get a packed section for the bubbler and am happy with the product.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby googe » Mon May 06, 2013 8:24 pm

Very true mate, the good old pot serves so many purposes! , good old work horse so to speak :handgestures-thumbupleft:
googe

Postby 1 2many » Mon May 06, 2013 8:34 pm

I like it very universal , Move over Leggo meet FSD The big boys toy .
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby punchy21 » Mon May 06, 2013 8:45 pm

1 2many wrote:I like it very universal , Move over Leggo meet FSD The big boys toy .

How bout "Stillgo"... Quick someone register that name!

Nice setup s&l :handgestures-thumbupleft: I imagine you should be able to smash 10L/hr once your cooling is up to it...
punchy21

equipment: Modular 4" 4 plate Bubbler
6kW 50L Boiler

Postby Sam. » Mon May 06, 2013 8:52 pm

punchy21 wrote: I imagine you should be able to smash 10L/hr once your cooling is up to it...

I'm hoping to double it, or at least get very close ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby kiwikeg » Tue May 07, 2013 6:40 am

sam_and_liv wrote:
punchy21 wrote: I imagine you s
hould be able to smash 10L/hr once your cooling is up to it...

I'm hoping to double it, or at least get very close ;-)

You should do that no trouble the only thing that slows my similar style pot down on a strip is a puke or a cooling hose blowing off.
A pot still this size on a 50l keg has a output like a fire hose.
How long is the product condenser? :music-deathmetal:
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby Jonno » Tue May 07, 2013 7:13 am

how much power do you throw at it kiwis
Jonno

FSD Pot Still

Postby Sam. » Tue May 07, 2013 7:51 am

Can't say I have actually measured the PC but I would say 500 or 600mm. At work so can't measure it.

I'm sure Mac could provide the specs tho.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

FSD Pot Still

Postby BackyardBrewer » Tue May 07, 2013 8:10 am

sam_and_liv wrote:..... until I get a packed section for the bubbler and am happy with the product.

Did you order one of Mac's? The second I saw those and the new gin baskets I had my credit card out in a flash. :)
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby kiwikeg » Tue May 07, 2013 8:11 am

Jonno wrote:how much power do you throw at it kiwis

On a BWKO strip its full noise on the 747 till the first 90 bend on the riser starts to feel hot then I back the heat right off on the hp regulator its only about a quarter open, the ring on the keg is glowing red still at this point.
If I don't time the backoff on the heat right it will puke at this point. Once product is flowing I then turn reg up to about a third open.
The great thing about these setups is the ability to upgrade as your budget allows and keep using the same boilers and parts.
Lik s&l I run my low wines straight into a keg for storage.
But remember my ambiant temp and water temps are lower here so I can run product a bit hotter/faster than you worm burners can.(I think? )
At S&l get off the interweb then and do some work :laughing-rolling:
kiwikeg

Postby MacStill » Tue May 07, 2013 9:10 am

sam_and_liv wrote:Can't say I have actually measured the PC but I would say 500 or 600mm. At work so can't measure it.

I'm sure Mac could provide the specs tho.

The PC is 400mm long :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby 1 2many » Tue May 07, 2013 4:20 pm

I would be amazed if you could get 80 litres into that boiler , If it is an 18 gallon (US) keg it would be 68 litres , A (UK)18 gallon keg is 80 ltr but i don't think that is what you have. ;-)
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby kiwikeg » Tue May 07, 2013 5:00 pm

1 2many wrote:I would be amazed if you could get 80 litres into that boiler , If it is an 18 gallon (US) keg it would be 68 litres , A (UK)18 gallon keg is 80 ltr but i don't think that is what you have. ;-)

I think he Said a 180l of tpw...... Using a blue 200l fermenter like many of us do you end up with 180l of wash which divides nicely into 4 stripping runs in a 50l keg boiler :-B
Chur
kiwikeg

Postby 1 2many » Tue May 07, 2013 5:17 pm

kiwikeg wrote:
1 2many wrote:I would be amazed if you could get 80 litres into that boiler , If it is an 18 gallon (US) keg it would be 68 litres , A (UK)18 gallon keg is 80 ltr but i don't think that is what you have. ;-)

I think he Said a 180l of tpw...... Using a blue 200l fermenter like many of us do you end up with 180l of wash which divides nicely into 4 stripping runs in a 50l keg boiler :-B
Chur

Re read the 3 and 4 th line at start of thread ,he was talking about the 4" ferule fitted to boiler. I think there is confusion between the Us and Uk gallons.
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Postby kiwikeg » Tue May 07, 2013 5:20 pm

1 2many wrote:
kiwikeg wrote:

Chur

Re read the 3 and 4 th line at start of thread ,he was talking about the 4" ferule fitted to boiler. I think there is confusion between the Us and Uk gallons.

:roll: :oops: sorry 12 missed that totally
Chur
kiwikeg

Postby Sam. » Tue May 07, 2013 6:25 pm

Hmmm :think: I thought they were closer to 80. I will have to check next time i'm filling it up :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I know the keg I borrow off my mate for mashing and boiling is 80L :think:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Next

Return to Pot Stills