3 inch stumpy

Pot still design and discussion

3 inch stumpy

Postby reknaw » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:41 pm

This is the new stripping still, I have been saying for months I wanted to do this. The same design as a Condensor Controlled still but the off take is up against the column so no reflux. I was going to make it 30 cm high but had a 60 cm piece there so I used that. The arm is 2.5 in and I'll use the coldfinger from my other still.

I am going to strip over a wood fire in the ack yard, just need to cut a tree out first.

The 25 mm offtake should be facing the other way but that's how it's staying unless I get a sudden burst of energy one day.

I actually like the look of it, not sure why though, it doesn't look like a still.

Oh was also thinking I might have to pack the column and run a rum through it to see how it turns out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
reknaw

Re: 3 inch stumpy

Postby R-sole » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:55 am

Looks the goods poppy. 8-)
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby MacStill » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:21 am

LOL 5Star :lol:

That should work pretty good Spud, but your slippers are missing ;)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby reknaw » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:40 am

I was on the carpet so my feet were'nt cold, tip for new players though don't use a hole saw to cut stainless when wearing thongs, same goes for using the grinder :oops:

Do we have a thread for people doing stupid stuff? I might have a look I have stuff to add :shock:
reknaw

Postby rumby » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:59 pm

Looks good, will the arm be a problem, did you dam it?

I think you need to fire it up asap.
rumby

equipment: CC reflux still

Postby reknaw » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:21 pm

Yeah there is a bit of a dam at the front, the collection cup being the wrong way around and the dam means there will be a bit of smearing but that doesn't really worry me to much, call me wierd but I don't mind a little mongrel about rum (that said bundy has WAY to much mongel about it). This thing is going to be used for stripping 90% of the time, if it's packed with scrubbers I recon it should pull high 80's which should be good for rum.

Finished work early so I should go get that mollasses, I put 10 liters of rum that's being oaked and put it under the steps - it's staying there for 2 years no matter what :)
reknaw

Postby rumby » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:54 pm

Good. Interesting to see what effect the packing has own it.

I wouldnt leave the rum untouched for two years, you need to taste it every few months. I will volunteer my services.

Still considering one of the copper boils, awesome for one masive stripping run.
rumby

Postby reknaw » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:59 pm

I saw you eying it off on Sat :)

I will do a cleaning run on the still this afternoon, will run a whiskey wash (if it finishes fermenting) on Wed afternoon before I go to TAFE. I shall let you know the ABV when it's packed and I'll see what rate it'll strip at.
reknaw

Postby R-sole » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:02 pm

Go easy on the sticks if you're puttung it away for that long, and make sure it's very nearly sealed. Glass 4l cookie jars with no seals will be down to 20% abv from 65% in 18months (ask me how i know).

As said, taste it every 6 months.

Your yeast left today, lucky they sent me high abv yeast instead of the 810 8-) Reaches 18% (similar to 1118) and goes to 38C :D

I'll be using it too when i run out of Danstil.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby reknaw » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:01 pm

Ok cool, thanks for the tip on the ABV dropping, that is a huge drop,I will have it sealed in demijohns. Thanks for the yeast I shall keep an eye out for it ;) The wash that has slowed right down has taken off again, another blanket and the heat turned up got it started -2 deg this morning

I was thinking about the smearing on the still, there won't be any from the dam if it's being used as a pot still as it'll all be collected by the cup, the only time the dam will come into effect is if it strips at say 10 liters and something makes it past the collection cup then builds up and flows back to the collection cup.

Rumby you an be my official taster 8-)
reknaw

Postby rumby » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:59 pm

Spud,

It will be my honour, I hear McStill has a pretty good rum too, so it would be good to try his aswell (wink, wink). I think a 3month taste would be appropiate, however I only have 2l bottles to pour the tasting in. ( I can be bribed into saying who makes the best rum (rum trade) ).

I was talking to my plumber mate about the big 140 l boiler, he got a bit excited. Gas is still my big problem, no-where in the back yard to discreetly set it up. I like the idea of two elements (which I will be picking up this week), but I am going to put them in my CC, need a big shed.
rumby

Postby reknaw » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:30 pm

How about a nip of rum to test :shock: If you go in to get elements do you recon you could get me one and I'll fix you up for it when you are over next?

See how this controller I am getting goes, if it's good (which it should be) order one off ebay. I am starting to cut the tree down tomorrow then I'll have mine over a wood fire in the middle of the back yard ;)
reknaw

Postby Heffers » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:57 pm

Spud1700 wrote:tip for new players though don't use a hole saw to cut stainless when wearing thongs, same goes for using the grinder

You need to get yourself some hairy hobbit feet. When I finish grinding / welding I generally brush my feet off into a swarf drum and take it down to the local metal recycling joint :P

rumby wrote:( I can be bribed into saying who makes the best rum (rum trade) ).

Rum Trade? This sounds like it could turn into a Rum Rebellion!!! :lol:
Heffers

equipment: 2.5" Pot Still for Stripping
2.5" Condensor Controlled - Neutral Producer
2.2kW 50L Keg

Postby rumby » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:37 am

Spud,

I should be getting those elemts tomorrow, so I will grap you one.
rumby

Postby MacStill » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:40 am

rumby wrote: I hear McStill has a pretty good rum too, so it would be good to try his aswell (wink, wink).

You can try it no problems, only you have to be here to do that.... and none of my gear leaves the property ;)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby rumby » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:09 am

Sounds good. Next time I am up your way, I would like to pop in.
rumby

Postby reknaw » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:34 pm

Mr Stumpy ready to go, all clean :) I don't have any washes to put through it though which is a bit of a bummer.............
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
reknaw

Return to Pot Stills