Problem Pot

Pot still design and discussion

Problem Pot

Postby SBB » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:02 pm

The photo below is of my new keg based Pot still. Its basically the same design as the smaller version I built to fit my 25L T500 boiler. This one is 2 1/2 inch and has an extra condenser as I was trying to use up some of the bits and pieces already laying around the shed. Its mounted to a 50L keg using a 2 inch easy flange and fired by a 3 ring burner. Since the photo was taken the still its self has been insulated with Armourflex, the keg has been insulated using a sheet of that yellow roof insulation.
Now for the problem/problems.
A: This thing is putting out less in an hour than the smaller 2 inch one does on its electric boiler,,, 2.7L in 45 mins when stripping and thats flat out 3 rings going.
B: Im getting a fair bit of huffing from the condenser.
Would I be right in thinking that one of the problems is that my burners not up to scratch and I need more heat or have I just stuffed up completely on this one??
Ive read a bit on huffing condensers and see the " stick a bit of scrubber up it" solution but Id rather know why its doing it, have I matched a condenser of the wrong size/ length to a still of the wrong size?? Ive seen all that stuff on vapor speeds / pipe sizes but don't really understand it.
In short I built this to be able to strip faster......taint doin as I expected :(
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Re: Problem Pot

Postby MacStill » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:09 pm

2.7L in 45 mins and huffing condenser, your doing ok ;)

The steam and pressure from boiling has to go somewhere, should hear my thumper chugging :lol:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby SBB » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:18 pm

MMMMM ok so I'm just expecting to much then??? The little one puts out 1L in 15 mins early in the run so I guess I was expecting better from this one.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby MacStill » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:24 pm

I reckon you could get 3L an hour from it on a medium stripping run and be happy ;)

I dont buy into the huffing condenser debates, or the pressure crap they talk about elsewhere... if your boiling something in a big pot and the only escape is through a half inch hole, well it's gotta go somewhere?

As long as there's no alcohol vapor getting through, it's all good ;)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby R-sole » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:47 am

Hold a mirror up to check for leaks.

I think you should be getting more on a 3 ring burner. I get 6 litres an hour stripping on one.

The out put should relate to the heat input. Try taking the insulation off the still head, you don't need it on a potstill, specially on the down hill run.

I'd be looking for leaks and finding none, i'd be increasing the heat. Maybe an adjustable regulator to punch a little more heat from your burner, or a shroud to use the heat going up the sides.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby SBB » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:59 am

Thanks for that 5Star, I remembered you saying you got 6 an hour before and that was one reason I thought mine was a bit slow.
Ive given the heat thing more thought, when I was doing the cleaning run, (vinegar and water) it was a cold night. I had a a solid stream of steam a foot or more long coming out the end of the condenser. If I was lacking heat would this have happened???............Im also thinking I should have seen any leaks at that time
Ive already screwed the adjustment on the regulator right down and it didnt help.
Will look for leaks again but don't think I have any.
Will work on building a shroud.

SBB
SBB
Lifetime Member

Postby SBB » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:52 pm

As a bit of an update I stripped my burner cleaned the holes, cleaned the jets, blew the whole lot out with compressed air. Couldn't see any obvious blockages or problems at the time.
Stuck it all back together.......now getting an average of 5 Litres an hour.. Much happier :D :D :D ......Still looking for ideas on shrouds. McStills 44 gal drum Idea looks ok....are there better ways????
SBB
Lifetime Member

Return to Pot Stills