The Best of the Best

Pot still design and discussion

The Best of the Best

Postby Frothwizard » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:43 pm

Ok,

I couldn't find an appropriate place to put this so Mac if you can think of one, by all means move it. I'm only putting it here cause I have an Airstill and the other still forums are all dedicated.

This post, however, is about ALL the stills. I want to know what is considered the BEST still for making the finest quality booze on the planet and WHY.

Everyone's opinion is valid. I see you've all got so much variety in your stills and I'm ASSUMING that some are harder to operate than others. With that assumption I'm also thinking "Does harder to operate mean better quality product?".

Anyway, I'm here to learn.

Please enlighten me....

FW
Frothwizard

equipment: - Airstill
- FSD 4" 5 Plate Bubbler w/ Packed Section
- 50L Keg Boiler w/ 2 x 2400W Weldless Elements

Re: The Best of the Best

Postby greenguy » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:17 pm

I think the best still in the world is the one that makes u happy and makes you the product that you are happy with
Reason is it don't matter what u use its how you use
You are the person who drives the still makes the mash cleans runs etc
I have been using a pot still that i made for ages and too me it is the best it has done what i want and makes a great drop but im getting over the mess and how ugly it is it runs hard but need to be outside leaks a lil so i have upgraded and to be honest i think i have upgraded too what i think is the best size and still for a hobby distiller

FSD 4" SSG Bubbler why because it is shinny :D and from the reading it runs like a dream you get a top product full flavoured sprit
and a high %
I dont have to run twice i can run single runs then oak no stripping then sprit running i can get better cuts no wear near as much smearing Atm with my pot still out of a 200 litre mash im getting 10-12 litres of drinkable product at 75% after stripping and sprit running and 6-8 litres of heads,tails well i think the new still will compress this a lot making for a better quality and higher yield
did i mention its shinny :laughing-rolling:

Mitch
greenguy

equipment: Red neck pot still on gas-sooon to be retired
FSD 4' SSG 2x2400 watt FSD elements soon to be

Postby tipsy » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:56 am

What greenguy said :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Have you read this link?

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=3117
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby Kimbo » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:10 pm

Yep, thats a pretty broad question.
If the still is making stuff that you enjoy, then its the best ( in your world) :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Me, I like the advantages of a plated column, High ABV, High flavour and great for doing one offs ( no stripping runs)
thats my opinion, others may vary.
Good luck ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby MacStill » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:14 pm

Nuff said :teasing-neener:

hero 4 inch .jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby bt1 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:29 am

This sounds like a straight forward question...on the surface.

A few thoughts...
The hybrid pot does the best rums... heavy, single run, flavoursome, easy to use and quick

The 6 plater, plus .5m rock filter is great in summer but useless in winter due to natural reflux and heat loss.... does make a great gin so it's a summer kit

The glass 5 plater works...no dramas, compact, easy to handle and a good product...just 5 plates seems underdone for the lighter spirits for mine

The other 3 stills don't get enough run time to really have developed a place in the heart.

One rather famous gent over at HD once said...
"If I had my time again, I wish I'd spend more time as a simple pot still runner"

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby tipsy » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:01 am

MacStill wrote:Nuff said :teasing-neener:

hero 4 inch .jpg

Have to disagree with you Mac.
Put a picture up with a packed section included and it truly would be the best of the best ;-)
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby Sam. » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:37 pm

tipsy wrote:
MacStill wrote:Nuff said :teasing-neener:

hero 4 inch .jpg

Have to disagree with you Mac.
Put a picture up with a packed section included and it truly would be the best of the best ;-)

:text-+1:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Return to Pot Stills