Bryan's Pot Still

Pot still design and discussion

Re: Bryan's Pot Still

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:08 am

Hi Bushy,
Yep thats what I intend to do with the next batch run, a weetbix one and go for a few generations to get enough to do a spirit run. As I said I got 8 glass tumblers with 150mm cuts so the first 3 are going into the feints jar along with the last one so I'm only taking 4 which I reckon are all hearts. Anyway decided the easiest way to empty the 30 litre boiler was to use a Rule pump I have here and just hooked the power wires up to the bridge rectifier for powering the cooling pump. So next jobbie will be wiring in the Rule pump so I can just use a switch.

I have been doing a lot of reading especially on different still types and I'll now change the design on the reflux I'm making and put some 1/2" copper at the top of the column to make the reflux condenser. I gotta say it was fun trying to get 1/2" copper to coil and fit inside the 3" SS for the product condenser but I got there so winding a coil on the outer of 2" will be fun but I'll get there. My other thought is just do that on my pot still then it could serve as a VM still for spirit runs and a straight pot still for stripping. what do you guys think of that idea ?

Regards Bryan

EDIT: Now on the 'geeky side' years ago I was into electronics and I still have all the gear so I'm thinking of using some DS18B20 digital temp sensors as there are in a SS can along with a 3 metre lead. I'll program a pic to show a 7 segment display so the temps can be easily seen and maybe even setup alarm outputs. For the VM mod I want to do I could seal the temp sensor in a SS enclosed pipe so it can be located under the reflux condenser to give an reading on the reflux temp then a second on just before the product condenser so one can see the output temps.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby JayD » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:32 pm

Bryan1 wrote:Hi Bushy,
Yep thats what I intend to do with the next batch run, a weetbix one and go for a few generations to get enough to do a spirit run. As I said I got 8 glass tumblers with 150mm cuts so the first 3 are going into the feints jar along with the last one so I'm only taking 4 which I reckon are all hearts. Anyway decided the easiest way to empty the 30 litre boiler was to use a Rule pump I have here and just hooked the power wires up to the bridge rectifier for powering the cooling pump. So next jobbie will be wiring in the Rule pump so I can just use a switch.

I have been doing a lot of reading especially on different still types and I'll now change the design on the reflux I'm making and put some 1/2" copper at the top of the column to make the reflux condenser. I gotta say it was fun trying to get 1/2" copper to coil and fit inside the 3" SS for the product condenser but I got there so winding a coil on the outer of 2" will be fun but I'll get there. My other thought is just do that on my pot still then it could serve as a VM still for spirit runs and a straight pot still for stripping. what do you guys think of that idea ?

Regards Bryan

EDIT: Now on the 'geeky side' years ago I was into electronics and I still have all the gear so I'm thinking of using some DS18B20 digital temp sensors as there are in a SS can along with a 3 metre lead. I'll program a pic to show a 7 segment display so the temps can be easily seen and maybe even setup alarm outputs. For the VM mod I want to do I could seal the temp sensor in a SS enclosed pipe so it can be located under the reflux condenser to give an reading on the reflux temp then a second on just before the product condenser so one can see the output temps.

I cant help thinking your doing your cut by estimating the amount...every thing that helps us is a good thing however, smell and taste is a powerful cut indicator....thats why you see the Master Distiller with their nose stuck into their glass deciding what stays in and what goes back into the next run.
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:50 pm

Hi JayD,
I cut the 4 tumblers down to 35%ABV and it is a nice strong drop that isn't hard on the throat and like the last batch I did will go nicely with coke. This weekend the weetbix mix will be going down and soon enough I'll be doing a spirits run then I'll know I'd say just from the taste I have done much better.

Regards Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:49 pm

Ok got a quarz carafe with some of the batch @ 35% so may go for a absinth route as we do have every herb here for doing one and if other guys want the herbs well it can be arranged ( as my wife said using wormwood can and will ruin your brain) The last bottle I put the batch is what I'm drinking tonight and well I put somemore water in to make it easier to drink as it was pretty strong it is proving a nice drop in coke. But lesson learnt if one is to do distilling do a strip run first and make a VM still.....
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby Bushy » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:45 pm

If you are making a vm still you won't need to strip yr wash. You can just do one run on your weetbix or tpw and with decent cuts you will have good neutral. Excellent tool for a stockpile of vodka with which you can do what you want. For me, your pot is where the action is.
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:29 am

G'day Guy's,
As promised here's a pic of my 30 litre boil pot and with the setup yesterday I stripped the first generation of the weetbix/cornflake wash. I gotta say the smell of the wash was so sweet unlike beer brews where the smell aint so nice. Ran the still flatout and got just over 3 long neck bottles of low wines and cut off 150ml of foreshots. Took out the scrubbers for this run and with the spirits run I'm doing today I have 6 new SS scrubbers so they will get wired up with some 1.6mm enameled wire with the insulation stripped off. I will have enough to charge my 5 litre pot and get enough to make one bottle atleast off the hearts then the feints will get saved for the next run.

Ok I havent got around to make clamps to secure the lid but a couple of besser blocks do the job fine and no leaks were present in the stripping run. I transferred the first gen remaining wash to my 30 litre fermenter and going by the 20% rule for backset in order to get the backset cooled I transferred just under 5 litres to my 5 litre pot and crash chilled it in a bucket of water. Crushed up somemore weetbix and cornflakes and go enough for about a 1/3rd of a bucket, sliced up a lemon of the tree put the epsom salts and a sprinkle of lowan yeast to ensure the 2nd generation started nicely.

Now got a Q with that parrot I made, I do know I need to get it below the condenser but do I need to put in another pipe from the base of the parrot to the outlet pipe ? Still got a lot to learn with these parrots :-p

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby dogbreath vodka » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:45 am

Hey Bryan1
Great to see someone put the effort into a nice pot still
:handgestures-thumbupleft:

You can connect the parrot to the pot (outlet pipe to parrot inlet)
DSCN3146 (Copy).JPG

OR
Make a parrot that isn't connected at all.
DSCN3196 (Copy).JPG

OR

Do your run and then check the ABV

It's really up to you.

Happy Stillin' :handgestures-thumbupleft:

DBV
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:30 pm

G'day Guy's,
Well with the stripping run and the feints from the last batch I had enough to give the 5 litre pot a spirits run and not long finished. Ran it nice and slow and kept an eye on the temps. Did 100 mm cuts and by smelling each cut it was plain to see where the heart was. I did include 100mm of the head was too damm close to call and cut off when the temp hit 91C so I didn't get any fusel oils in. I got one long neck filled and that got labelled 'feints Gen1'. Got the second generation bubbling away nicely so I'm going to keep the generation going until I have enough feints to do one last run.

Now while doing the run I decided to give the shed a clean up and formed up for the concrete pad to go in. The missus came and helped and gave me a bucket of bran. Now I used to work at a flour mill and there was 2 bran sacks there, weavels got into one and what the missus gave me was clean. I also have 1/2 a 44 gal drum of wheat too so on the jobby list is a malting setup and I'll have a go at grain brewing.

Thanks for the tips on the parrot and I'll make a new one to be a stand alone unit so the good stuff can drip into it.

By far on the taste test this weetbix/cornflake wash is the best I've done to date and this arvo the 'peppermint box' tree is getting a visit with the chainsaw to make some wood chips. I reckon using the chips after toasting in the oven for a bit will give a nice twang to the taste of this drop.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby MacStill » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:38 pm

Bryan1 wrote:
By far on the taste test this weetbix/cornflake wash is the best I've done to date and this arvo the 'peppermint box' tree is getting a visit with the chainsaw to make some wood chips. I reckon using the chips after toasting in the oven for a bit will give a nice twang to the taste of this drop.

Cheers Bryan

C'mon mate you cant be serious, you cant just go using any old bit of wood :angry-banghead:

Eucalyptus is toxic, dont use it.... :teasing-nutkick:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby crow » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:37 pm

Bryan1 wrote:By far on the taste test this weetbix/cornflake wash is the best I've done to date and this arvo the 'peppermint box' tree is getting a visit with the chainsaw to make some wood chips. I reckon using the chips after toasting in the oven for a bit will give a nice twang to the taste of this drop.
Cheers Bryan

Just when I start thinking moderating is a lot of work a post like this pops up to remind me how important these forums are, got half a mind to move these last couple of posts to the safety thread.
A first I chuckled then I thought hang on crow old son this isn't fucking funny this is how easy it can happen. Most people that come to grief around the world from private spirits is not form drinking ethanol per say by from consuming something that is not ethanol. There were 3 ppl recently tragically lost their lives a the father of one now facing manslaughter charges and a string of others that drank stuff that had some toxic stuff place or mixed in after, this could have been the next why ban home stilling pin up boy.
People please don't go added any damn thing ya fancy without doing appropriate research first :pray: Its not tidly winks here you all refining a highly solvent liquid so be damn careful what you put with in as chances are it will be soluble and there fore you will be consuming you spirit and what ever soluble substance you put with it. Be darn sure the substance is not something detrimental to your heath or not consistent with life. Nature has more toxic compounds the ICI and Bayer together come close to putting together so please guys keep it safe Darwin awards are not funny x_x
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:29 pm

Hi Guy's well I did need that :violence-smack: and a big thank you for the heads up on it. I now have a reason to go visit my mate in Murray Bridge and get some proper wood chips and do this by the book so to speak.

Regards Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby crow » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:45 pm

Gonna go out on a limb here and guess your in SA, if so there are a number of cooperages that sell their off cuts as kindling for firewood prices (read bloody cheap) :D Tubbs in Willaimstown comes to mind and there are 4 or 5 others I don't know about where you are so I can't advise you of which is closest but Tubbs cooperage makes small barrels from hogs heads so they have loads of French and American oak off cuts for jack all, I use old barrel oak mostly and what i do is cut it into about 150mm lengths and then with a hammer and tomahawk I split it into 15mm sections. splitting is IMHO way better then sawing as you have so much more surface area (4 or 5 times more) so it will be 4 or 5 times as efficient. use it raw or toast and char to your own requirements, can't get easier than that
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby RuddyCrazy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:33 am

One of the first things I did when I found this forum was do a heap of reading and wondered when looking at the Glossary Crow came up with what I thought( oh no a guy who thinks his shit doesn't stink) and well I thought I hope I don't come across on the wrong path but I did and deserved the blasting I got.

Now while on that subject I did ask my wifes friend who is a herbalist and has been distilling for close to 50 years I asked her about using 'peppermint box' and if it was poison. The reply I got it wasn't and it should give a nice flavour and she would love a taste.

OK now thats out of the way......

As this is my first go at double distilling better for me is to go by the tried and true methods and with that I got to see the good side of Crow :happy-partydance: and the suggestion of Tubb's cooperage I just had to go fruuuuuugle and find this place. Well a casual 1/2 hour drive thru the hills will get me there and as my missus says I never go out, thats where we're heading this arvo. Also looking at the website I reckon I found my birthday present----- one of the oak barrels.....

So this is one lucky camper who got the good side and Crow came thru with flying colours.... ^:)^

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby MacStill » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:55 am

Click

If eucalyptus oil is accidentally swallowed, urgent hospital treatment may be required. For advice, contact a Poisons Information Centre (Australia telephone 13 11 26) or a doctor at once. Do not induce vomiting.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby crow » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:57 am

:shock: I only have a good side, :laughing-rolling: unless I think ppl are going to bring harm to themselves or the forum ;-) .
There are some alternative woods to use and a number of threads on them but your choice was not so great , its all a learning curve. We,ve had guys put tassie oak and all sorts in booze , scary stuff when ya look at what could happen so safety has to remain paramount around here and I hope members can just understand why. Often my replies can come across abrasive but you have to take it in the the context that the reply although possibly directed at you is also directed at any future reader, I am here to help and am not deliberately condescending :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Edit posted same time as Mac
Edit 2 just had to look at the glossary to see what the hell you were on about
:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: who the hell wrote that fairly actuate description,least the second two points anyways :roll:
crow

Postby RuddyCrazy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:05 pm

G'day Guy's,
Just got home from an adventurous afternoon driving thru the hills and the missus says eh lets stop and get some ciders so we did stop there. Within 30 seconds I spotted a pile of old staves so just had to ask about them. The reason the barrel wasn't used anymore was due to some thin spot in the staves and he said take as many as you want so i thought 1/2 a doz should do me. The guy did say I would need to shave them first so that will be done and as soon as this post is done I'm off to the shed to make some slices to go into the bottle then I'll water some of the good stuff down to 65% and for my first I'll try raw. With the second generation I'll try toasted and the third charred. It will be interesting to taste the different flavours and well one can say is it ready yet :laughing-rolling:

Should be enough oak to keep me going for a while......

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby crow » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:16 pm

so let me get this straight , you went to buy oak and part way there you got a heap for nothing :wtf: score, :handgestures-thumbupleft: talk about kissed on the dick by an angel Lucky bastard
crow

Postby RuddyCrazy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:46 pm

When we were in the cellar having a chat with the wife the staves came up and I explained what it was for. A couple of minutes she said she was told about 14 litres of neutral a 100 litre run. They just had a barrel go off and they tipped it out..... just imagine if I was there 2 weeks ago I would of been coming home with 100 litres of red wine to do a stripping run on.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:51 am

G'day Guy's,
Well day 2 and the bottle is smelling better and more like whiskey, I diluted the liquor to 65% as it came out to 80% from the spirits run and the oak I put in is raw and it had just a small patch of charring so I left it in there. Now how long would it take for this to mature as this is my first go ?

Did a SG test on the 2nd gen and it's down to 1010 so by the weekend it should be ready for a stripping run. Now what I'm doing is using the 30 litre pot for the strip run then the 5 litre pot for the spirits run. I got 1 litre off the first one so diluting it to drinking quality should get me 2 bottles from each run. I will try and keep the generations going until I get enough to use the spirit run feints for one final run.

Now for that Bran I got here, it is flaked and it came from the flour mill I used to work at so would it need a mash or would it be ok to put straight into the fermenter?

Lots of questions and like you guy's know I'm still learning and keen as mustard to get it right.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby MacStill » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:10 pm

I've seen those shelving units before :think: They're from Bunnings arent they 8-} be careful where you buy your sugar from :laughing-rolling:

Sorry, I really do have a fucked up sense of humour :text-lol:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to Pot Stills