first run

Pot still design and discussion

first run

Postby znipa-x » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:26 pm

did my first stripping run on my JayD pot still yesterday :) mounted it to a newly acquired 35L "turbo boiler" from ebay, it's basic SS boiler with a 2000w element, anyhoo the wash was a MacRum and I got about 4.5ltrs from 24ltrs (was supposed to be 25ltrs dunno what happened there :? ) all up combined ABV of 55% took it down to around 20%, from start to finish was bit over three hours, rough calcs are 2ltrs an hour, I was taking samples as I went and I could have bottled the stuff in the middle then and there. So my question is, is this slow enough for a spirit run once I've I've done a few generations, or will I need a power controller to slow it further?
znipa-x

Re: first run

Postby JayD » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:43 pm

Stripping run hard n fast, spirit run as slow as you can. When I do my stripping run in my pots regardless of the size once the fores and head are tossed (I know many keep the heads) the rest goes into my bulk collection boiler then I do a final 40% spirit run which I run as slow as I can, or what your equipment will let you do. MacRum in a pot still needs to be ran for your genrations for full flavour, this is where you collect your final low wines for your spirit run.
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby znipa-x » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:11 pm

didn't word that quite right, I can't go any faster on the strip, 2000w is all I've got, so once I've got enough generation stripped out, will the 2000w be to hot/fast to do a good spirit run, should I try and slow it down more.
znipa-x

Postby bac206 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:54 pm

Whilst I'm not familiar with your boiler setup, when I run my pot still, 50L boiler (at 40L) im using a 2200 watt element and I slow it down to around the 2/3 output voltage via DIY voltage controller (plans are on her somewhere, however I think there may be an issue with ur type of boiler element, but not 100% sure on your setup). Hope this helps
bac206

equipment: 2" CM Keggomax
2" Copper pot head.
DIY Voltage controller
Just finished 4" glass bubbler

Postby Kimbo » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:19 am

Hi Znipa,
when I was pot stillin, I had no power control. I just had a 2400w element for stripping and spirit runs. It worked just fine... just keep an eye on your cuts tho ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Return to Pot Stills