Help. Think I've stuffed up.

Pot still design and discussion

Postby Dusty_ben » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:08 pm

Just running my first spirit run of mac rum. 4 gens in it ATM. But I just realised I through some sanitizer in
The boiler. Swished it around. Topped it out but forgot to rinse with fresh water before I put the stripped rum
In. Should I restrip it again the spirit run it? Or just put more water in it n continue spirit running? Typical newbie rushing hope I haven't stuffed it. Cheers ben
Dusty_ben

equipment: 50l keg boiler with a mac built 2" pot still. Also a cheap stainless 2" reflux from eBay

Re: Help. Think I've stuffed up.

Postby the Doctor » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:19 pm

Well Ben you certainly would not be the first one of us that has done that...

Firstly what was the sanitiser you used, If it was Phosphoric acid based (star - san) or Hydrogen peroxide ( proxitane) based you will not have a problem, as you leave it behind in the boiler and they are relatively short lived.

Now i am assuming that we are talking just a surface spray of sanitiser ...not gallons of it.

I do not understand why you are sanitizing a boiler that will contain boiling wash. as the act of distilling is an effective way of killing off all the nasties.

Most of the standard sanitisers are food safe and have short chemical lives, they often break down to water and oxygen. Let us know a bit more, but chances are that you will be fine.

Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby Dusty_ben » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:28 pm

This is what I used. It has been open
Outside for a few days so I assumed it couldn't hurt. Haha.
Dusty_ben

equipment: 50l keg boiler with a mac built 2" pot still. Also a cheap stainless 2" reflux from eBay

Postby Dusty_ben » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:28 pm

The boiler was open for a few days I meant.
Dusty_ben

Postby zombie » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:34 pm

You hit it just before me Doc.

Everything I've read about sanitizers agrees with your post, and I wanted to settle Dusty's nerves. Not that I would... but you could swim in most of the brewing sanitizers sold with no issues. I think it's all a moot point in distilling anyway.
Beer brewing never hits sanitary temps. and is apparently prone to weird infections. That's why the HBS sell tons of sanitizer.
I think that is why the IRISH love distilling. So we have something safe to drink without going to the shop.
zombie

Postby Dusty_ben » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:38 pm

Thanks guys. Do feel a lot better now. She's flowing and smelling great. Not the waiting behinds.
Dusty_ben

Postby Andy » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:14 pm

yeah that stuff would be safe to eat and drink. its put in wine
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby the Doctor » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:19 pm

The only danger that Sodium Metabisulphide has is that for asthmatics it can cause asthma attacks. It is fairly benign though in sm,all quantities.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby Wineleader » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:35 pm

Hi all,

I am an experienced winemaker and use potassium metabisulphate throughout the winery. Notwithstanding, I am new to this hobby and after reading a number of posts I was of the view that sulphur was the enemy of distilling. Hence the need for copper in the system. Therefore I was using proxitane for sanitising the fermenters etc. Am I missing something here?

Cheers
Wineleader

equipment: T500 and matching pot still

Postby scythe » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:59 pm

Proxitane does the job.
And its always a good idea to limit the sulfites you put into your spirits.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby Kenster » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:05 pm

Wineleader, as Doc alluded to/stated... the whole point of sanitizing a vessel which will boil for several hours does not make any sense at all. Contamination will never be an issue as with wine/beer sensitivities...besides, we are chasing (usually) very high proof output...not a lot of stuff survives that environment. Simply put...it aint wine. After a brew, i just rinse my boiler with the hose...no drama so far.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby ultrasuede » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:58 pm

sodium metabisulphite wont affect your yeast in such a low concentration. In fact, your yeast will probably benefit from the small amount of sulfur.
I've use Starsan to correct the PH in my wash in a pinch, to no ill affect, different stuff, but you get the jist.
ultrasuede

equipment: Boka 1.5 metre, 50lt keg boiler and a pot still.

Postby warramungas » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:46 pm

Kenster wrote:Wineleader, as Doc alluded to/stated... the whole point of sanitizing a vessel which will boil for several hours does not make any sense at all. Contamination will never be an issue as with wine/beer sensitivities...besides, we are chasing (usually) very high proof output...not a lot of stuff survives that environment. Simply put...it aint wine. After a brew, i just rinse my boiler with the hose...no drama so far.

:text-+1:
I've boiled afew spiders in mine cause they were up the far end and hard to get out.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Return to Pot Stills