It's finally done

Pot still design and discussion

It's finally done

Postby tillius » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:35 am

I had a hard time getting all the parts I needed but, We got it together today, ran a cleaning run, and my nephew is running his corn mash now..

GoCart Fuel Purifier.jpg

7.5 gallon SS Stock pot, lid, SS Pet bowl as a cap to the lid.

I annealed and hammered a quarter inch lip on the 2 inch column and it's fastened in place with cork gasket and a exhaust flange I got from the auto parts store.

I used a threaded coupling to join the head and the condensor so I could add a thumper inline as well as adjust the angle of the condensor.

The condensor is 1" copper inside 1 1/4 PVC water jacket. It's 48 inches long, I think perhaps it's overkill.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tillius

equipment: pot still with thumper, currently under construction

Re: It's finally done

Postby dirtymax » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:03 pm

Is the exhaust flange Stainless?
dirtymax

equipment: Keg pot

Postby Kimbo » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:38 pm

Well done mate, any leaks?
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby tillius » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:47 am

The exhaust flange is stainless, but it's also not in contact with the vapor path. It slides down over the 2" copper coming out of the pot, there's a cork gasket between the flange coper rim I hammered onto the pipe and the pot. Stainless bolts up through the pot lid through the exhaust flange to hold it all together. I'd call it more a clamp than a flange. Will try to take a better picture of it when I get home.

No leaks, except initially at the threaded coupling. I wrapped the thread with teflon tape and no more leaks.
tillius

equipment: pot still with thumper, currently under construction

Return to Pot Stills