My shiny new 4 inch!!

Pot still design and discussion

My shiny new 4 inch!!

Postby Leggie » Sun May 18, 2014 4:58 pm

Well I just thought I'd post my new addition to the family.
Very special thanks to Mac.
Bloody champion.
Cannot recommend FSD highly enough.
Cheers mate.
Thanks to Mullamulla on his instructional vid on pulling the spear from my Lion.
Cheers.
Also thanks to everyone who posts and comments on this forum. Your info and advice has been invaluable.

Looking forward to getting into it.

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leggie

equipment: Progressed from a home made keg still on a burner to a Turbo 500 Still. Have been typically buying products from brew shops (getting ripped off) and making your basic bourbon/whiskey using staves, chips and essences. Now the proud owner of a 5 Star SS Pot.

Re: My shiny new 4 inch!!

Postby 1 2many » Sun May 18, 2014 6:23 pm

Good to here you got your keg sorted. Thats a Fully Sick Dude pot still you have there mate. I heard you mention element for your boiler are you planning on only using one.. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Smbjk » Sun May 18, 2014 6:45 pm

:clap: :dance: well done mate. Best you start brewing :D unless you already have :handgestures-thumbupleft: fsd what can we say ^:)^
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby MacStill » Sun May 18, 2014 7:15 pm

There must be a bit of a craze going on these things lately, I just wish I could keep up 8-}

They're a versatile little unit, sorry for stuffing up and running out of element guards, bad timing on my part :angry-banghead:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Leggie » Sun May 18, 2014 7:58 pm

1 2many wrote:Good to here you got your keg sorted. Thats a Fully Sick Dude pot still you have there mate. I heard you mention element for your boiler are you planning on only using one.. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Ta mate
Yeah I was only gonna use the one.
You recommend two. :think: ?
Is that just to speed up the boil process?
Leggie

equipment: Progressed from a home made keg still on a burner to a Turbo 500 Still. Have been typically buying products from brew shops (getting ripped off) and making your basic bourbon/whiskey using staves, chips and essences. Now the proud owner of a 5 Star SS Pot.

Postby Leggie » Sun May 18, 2014 8:04 pm

MacStill wrote:There must be a bit of a craze going on these things lately, I just wish I could keep up 8-}

They're a versatile little unit, sorry for stuffing up and running out of element guards, bad timing on my part :angry-banghead:

All good mate.
Patience in this game means a finer product

Talk soon
Leggie

Postby 1 2many » Sun May 18, 2014 8:09 pm

Leggie wrote:
1 2many wrote:Good to here you got your keg sorted. Thats a Fully Sick Dude pot still you have there mate. I heard you mention element for your boiler are you planning on only using one.. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Ta mate
Yeah I was only gonna use the one.
You recommend two. :think: ?
Is that just to speed up the boil process?

I would go two for sure 2 x 2500 Watts to boil is about 45 to 50 minutes I believe 1 x2400 Watt element will take about 1 1/2 hrs in a 50 ltr keg to come to boil, and you can use the power if you decide to put an FSD bubble T on your pot.
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Leggie » Mon May 19, 2014 7:31 am

No worries mate.
I'll have a chat to Mac and see what's in stock.

Cheers
Leggie

Postby Leggie » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:18 pm

Well some more little gifts arrived in the mail today.
Thanks again to Mac and FSD.
Cannot recommend you guys highly enough.
Ain't they a thing of beauty.
Took the advice of many and went the two 2400's
Will be getting this all sorted and then time to put down my first brew and give the T500 a well earned rest.
Happy Days.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leggie

Postby 1 2many » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:34 pm

Nice Leggie just about time to update your equipment list. When are you going to fire it up. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Postby Leggie » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:40 pm

1 2many wrote:Nice Leggie just about time to update your equipment list. When are you going to fire it up. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Gonna get the fill port and elements sorted hopefully this weekend.

Don't know whether to start of with a neutral or get straight into it and have a crack at one of the tried and proven recipes.

Life is so hard. :laughing-rolling:

Either way I can't wait.
Leggie

Postby Leggie » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:36 am

Fill Port sorted.
Welders a are expensive if you don't know one hey.
Put me back a week. :crying-blue:
Anyhoo gonna get the 2 x 32mm holes sorted next.
Daughters boyfriend is a sparky (happy days) so getting a power board sorted for the shed (distillery).
Not long to go now.
Leggie

Postby 1 2many » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:45 am

Good stuff Leggie you will be up and running in no time, Have you got a wash on yet? have you decided on what you are going to make. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Postby Leggie » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:39 pm

1 2many wrote:Good stuff Leggie you will be up and running in no time, Have you got a wash on yet? have you decided on what you are going to make. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I've got a TPW sitting there. I was gonna throw it through the T500 but I'm think first up I might put it through the Pot.

I was thinking of having a crack at Mac's bourbon whiskey after that.
Decisions decisions. Probably get the fermenting running this weekend.

By the time the electrical work is done and I've and a run with the TPW, the BW should be ready to go. :-D
Leggie

Postby Urrazeb » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:17 pm

Awesome mate! A second element would be ideal for stripping runs on that thing too :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Leggie » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:34 pm

Urrazeb wrote:Awesome mate! A second element would be ideal for stripping runs on that thing too :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Shit yeah.
Took the advise of others and sourced 2 x 2400's from Mac. Can't wait to get her up and running.
Leggie

Return to Pot Stills