Pot still build

Pot still design and discussion

Pot still build

Postby Shiftynev » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:52 pm

Hi All,

Just finished soldering the pot still, condensor and the the additional sections required for the reflux still. All that's left is to wind a double helix section for the reflux still, insert outlet and needle valve.

Thanks to all for the invaluable information on soldering, took me a bit of time but finally realised that it's all about the application of just the right amount of heat. Initially I was blasting with heat and burning the flux. Managed to get there in the end. I got a bit cocky and brazed (15% silver rod) the brass hose fittings on the condenser, took a bit of time and some filing afterwards but it looks ok. Doubt they will ever come loose. I was also surprised that I managed to braze without Mapp gas. Managed heat up ok with TS8000 running off the bbq cylinder.

Here are some pictures of my effort so far

Pot still sections -
Pot still and condenser.jpg

Pot still on Keg. Couldn't find copper olive for the brass compression fitting so had to use sanding pad to straighten condenser.
PS on Keg.jpg

Reflux sections -
Reflux sections.jpg

Reflux column -
Reflux on Keg.jpg

Thanks also to Woodduck who responded to earlier post for advice.

Once again thanks to all for the information. Need to go and have an Asahi and try to clean the gunk from my hands (I also think I've sanded away my fingerprints).

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shiftynev

equipment: 5 plate, 4" glass bubbler, 600mm packed section, 2"Pot, 2" Boka, 50ltr Keg boiler 2x2400w elements with voltage controller

Re: Pot still build

Postby woodduck » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:59 pm

Looks the goods mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

You'll be able to produce what ever you like with that modular setup. Good on ya and have fun with it.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Urrazeb » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:18 pm

Nice mate! She'll do ya proud :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Muppet » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:41 pm

Great job mate, I really need to start taking photos and documenting my projects. Great little all rounder there :handgestures-thumbupleft: :text-coolphotos:
Muppet

equipment: T500, 4" 4 plate copper bubbler ;)

Postby Andy » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:18 pm

very nice mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Return to Pot Stills