Pot Still No. 2

Pot still design and discussion

Pot Still No. 2

Postby jeh » Sun May 10, 2015 6:39 pm

Even though I'm still waiting for my first batch of Zak's CFW to finish fermenting (2 weeks & counting :crying-blue: ), I decided in the week to build another one based on SBB's "Pelican" still. Why? Had plenty of 2" pipe, and was bored on my lunch breaks :-D
Run a vinegar run through it this arvo, and will do a sac run in the week, glad I kept the alcohol from my first still sac run, although yet to do a proper run with that still 8-} 8-} , not enough hours in the week, and we're getting the house ready to sell, so can't setup properly yet. Oh well, will have a couple of stills ready for our next place, just have to rent a house with a big garage!

Next project will be acquiring a couple of kegs, getting some ferrules & elements from Mac, and finding an engineering company to weld it all together for me, this hobby's getting more addictive by the day, wish I'd built my own still 4yrs ago & not bought my T500, live & learn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jeh

equipment: Still Spirits T500
Home Built 2" Pot Still
Home Built 2" "Pelican" Stripping Still
Home Built Parrot

Re: Pot Still No. 2

Postby andybear » Sun May 10, 2015 7:01 pm

nice work jeh. Love the look of the swan neck. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
andybear

equipment: T500 has been retired and the 4" glass bubbler, has been christened. With 50 litre inverted keg, two 2400watt elements, 100mm sight glass and 100mm column connection and 1/2" drain. And all resting on a hexagonal frame with lockable castor wheels.

Postby Muppet » Sun May 10, 2015 7:17 pm

Very nice jeh :happy-partydance: love it
Muppet

equipment: T500, 4" 4 plate copper bubbler ;)

Postby rumdidlydum » Sun May 10, 2015 7:27 pm

Well done mate. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby Mcatac » Fri May 15, 2015 10:10 pm

Love the build and am inspired to do something similar with my T500.
Question? where do you get your pipe and fitting from.
Mcatac

equipment: Still Spirits T500 reflux column
T500 boiler with voltage controller
Pelican Pot and parrot with a twist

Postby jeh » Fri May 15, 2015 11:14 pm

Mcatac, got the 2" pipe & fittings from Tradelink, $50 per meter for the pipe, $8 each for the 2 90° bends, $7 for the 45° bend, $4 for your the 2" to 3/4" reducer. Hope this helps.
jeh

Home Built 2" Pot Still
Home Built Parrot

Postby Mcatac » Sat May 16, 2015 1:00 pm

Thanks for that, guess I'll be off to trade link on Monday morning.
Was thinking about maybe doing a coil condenser or shotgun rather than the Liebig but don't know if the extra weight away from the vertical axis would put too much of a strain on the lid. Then again maybe the mass of the s shape would balance it out.
Mcatac

Postby jeh » Sat May 16, 2015 5:02 pm

Mcatac, my condensor is 700mm 1" over 800mm 3/4", and it isn't placing much strain on the lid, although I build this head with the intention of using it on top of a keg, along with the other one I built. I wouldn't have thought a shotgun would place too much strain on the lid, maybe if it was left on permanently you might have issues. I only put mine on when I use it (don't have the space - yet :laughing-rolling: )
jeh

Home Built 2" Pot Still
Home Built Parrot

Postby Mcatac » Wed May 20, 2015 10:56 pm

I am in a similar position, with the build to future proof to a keg boiler.
Have the copper now from Tradelink (thanks for the heads up), and tri unions and adaptor coming from Mac. (will start own thread on that build)
Interested on how the ZCW turns out.
Sometimes feel there is a bit of hate against the T500, I love its simplicity and what it achieves, but distilling is like golf in that you cannot tee off with a putter or put with a driver. Just my 2 cents worth.
Mcatac
Mcatac

Postby Sam. » Wed May 20, 2015 11:35 pm

Mcatac wrote:Sometimes feel there is a bit of hate against the T500, I love its simplicity and what it achieves, but distilling is like golf in that you cannot tee off with a putter or put with a driver. Just my 2 cents worth.
Mcatac

Good analogy but people always do exactly that, they will try and make neutral in a pot still or bourbon in a reflux. 8-}
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby MacStill » Wed May 20, 2015 11:38 pm

Sam. wrote:
Mcatac wrote:Sometimes feel there is a bit of hate against the T500, I love its simplicity and what it achieves, but distilling is like golf in that you cannot tee off with a putter or put with a driver. Just my 2 cents worth.
Mcatac

Good analogy but people always do exactly that, they will try and make neutral in a pot still or bourbon in a reflux. 8-}

I do both 8-} :teasing-tease: 8-}
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Return to Pot Stills