King Browns Pot Still Build

Pot still design and discussion

Re: King Browns Pot Still Build

Postby hillzabilly » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:46 pm

It does not matter its not in the liquid its a guide,ie temp going up on heat up ,how far am I from product flow ,wich will vary a bit depending on wash % ,if its 10% or less wash she will start around 90 ish degree's but a 40% load will start at 80ish degrees ,and how close to the end of the run you are,wich will be close to 100`c.To me it's just about keeping a eye on thing's it's not 100% needed plenty do fine without one ,but when learning or training it will help to understand whats going on thru the run,some keep logs of temp ,time,%output and volume collected from runs,will make for understanding the process easy and when you want consistency,you have plenty of reference material. :handgestures-thumbupleft: cheers hillzabilly
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby hillzabilly » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:03 pm

G-day again!,one other thing I noticed is those elements look mighty close where they cross over,can you verify a gap befor you fire her up to be safe,you donot whant them touching.cheers hillzabilly :D
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Irritable » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:55 pm

That's f*}%^^* awesome set up.
Can I ask a completely newb question? The copper section just off the boiler - is that just a straight through pipe or does it have baffles for minor reflux?
The condenser towards the take off, that is a shotgun? So it has multiple vapour pipes OR multiple cooling pipes?

Everytime I see something like this I feel like taking a week off work and getting busy to try and get something half as good....curse the jobs that make us so time poor.

I concur re the elements, they "look" damn close, but it's probably photo amgle,
Damn that's a cool set up.
Si.
Irritable

equipment: Super Reflux that aint so super but aint so reflux :)

Postby rumdidlydum » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:50 pm

Well done mate looks good :handgestures-thumbupleft:
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby Whiskyaugogo » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:00 pm

Mate, awesome work (and belated welcome). How did you "push out" either end of the keg? :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Whiskyaugogo
Site Donor

equipment: To be updated

Postby KingBrown » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:06 am

@whiskeyaugogo - it is a 60L keg from the states that had rubber feet and top (since removed), so thats just what it looked like underneath.

@exsitable - It is just a straight piece of 4 inch copper pipe mate, only 1 condensor, nothing fancy.

@Hillz - Elements are close but not touching..... how far away should they be?

Also looked on the 5 star site for that dial thermometer and 2 inch cap, but it said they were sold out, any other ideas?

Thanks for all the feedback guys.
KingBrown

equipment: Alembic dome Pot still

Postby hillzabilly » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:57 am

Safe at least 1inch between elements,its a King Brown that you do not whant to be bitten by ,you could drill a hole in ya 2inch cap then TIG a1/2inch weld on fitting use a plug for now and sorce the thermo later.But in hindsite do nothing until you get the thermo you will use you know what thought thought .cheers hillzabilly
hillzabilly

Postby MacStill » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:09 pm

our thermo kits are 1.5" just waiting on some seals to turn up and they'll be back in the store, although I might be able to scrounge 1 up if I looked hard enough ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Previous

Return to Pot Stills