Copper scrubbers to help abv

Pot still design and discussion

Copper scrubbers to help abv

Postby Rumking » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:43 pm

So I got a stainless steel pot still from eBay/China. I've done a few stripping runs of turbo crap to try and learn the still. All went well I think, got 15.5L of 40% 50L wash. Did a spirit run and got round 7L at 84%. Stuffed up the cuts, so it's all going back in to try again but that's a different story :angry-banghead:
I'm currently only making neutral so was wondering if I was to add copper scrubbers to the column would I beable to squeeze a few more % out of it plus take advantage of the copper removing then sulphur smell.

Any recommendations :-D
Rumking

equipment: 5L Airstill recent upgrade to 25L s/steel pot still.

Re: Copper scrubbers to help abv

Postby hillzabilly » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:54 pm

It may not increase your ABV,but it will improve taste .cheers hillzabilly
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby MickC » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:56 pm

Copper scrubbers remove sulfates but they wont add abv%.
Pretty sure column height plus reflux ability is what influences abv % ?
MickC

equipment: The little 5lt ones you get from a home brew shop :(

Just built a 3" Boka :)

Postby Sam. » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:58 pm

MickC wrote:Pretty sure column height plus reflux ability is what influences abv % ?

Yep and the more surface area of the packing which gives you more theoretical plates :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Rumking » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:55 pm

I thought that may be the case. But also thought the packing may help with a bit of reflux
Rumking

Postby Rumking » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:58 pm

So if I add 500mm stainless 2"'pipe to the column and a bit some copper in that it will help more with the abv?
Rumking

Postby hillzabilly » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:05 pm

do,s your still have a reflux condencer?cheers hillzabilly
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Irritable » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:36 pm

Post a pic. I have a little reflux unit and by loading up the column, packing it a fair bit tighter than normal with SS - it definitely increases abv.
Si
Irritable

equipment: Super Reflux that aint so super but aint so reflux :)

Postby Rumking » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:00 pm

So I was thinking if I add a 2" pipe of 300-500mm between the boiler and the first chamber it may help???? Really don't know any ideas????
Please see attached pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rumking

Postby Irritable » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:49 pm

This looks similar in basic design to super reflux.
Yes, you could add to it and height = abv. But I'd say check the simple route first, pack some copper and stainless scrubbers in the column, tight - you may be happily surprised.

A few other guys on here have 1 - although they might be a little reluctant to post up. There are apparently a few design flaws with these...quite a few.
Si.
Irritable

Postby Rumking » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:52 am

Yes Exsitable I have only used it 3 times now and have noticed anfew disappointment things, it was a gift so I'll get the most out of it
Rumking

Postby dogbreath vodka » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:38 am

That's a cute looking still.
Not sure how well it would work. But if you are getting decent abv :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I'm sure the plastic funnel was put there for giggles.
Your stainless funnel that you use is just out of shot - - - right?

Keep at it, you will do OK. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby hillzabilly » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:14 am

Exsitable wrote:Post a pic. I have a little reflux unit and by loading up the column, packing it a fair bit tighter than normal with SS - it definitely increases abv.
Si

Personally I would not recommend "packing it a fair bit tighter" it may increase abv but you just increased the risk of it going "BOOM",I try and reduce risks in the hobby to me and me kin,increase performance without an increase in risk thats an advancement.cheers hillzabilly
hillzabilly

Postby Irritable » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:51 am

Fyi - i Elaborated on "tight" in PM, re being able to breathe though take off.
I reckon from some of the other issues (weld fracture etc), there might be a few additional "fail safe points" before enough pressure can build up to cause concern.
Si
Irritable

Postby hillzabilly » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:17 am

Another path to higher Abv with this still,add the 500ml 2inch packed section,add Macboka 2inch condencer coil then your still will be able to fully reflux giveing higher Abv,then if ya move on the parts can be re-used .on packing being able to breath through is by no meens 100% proof that there will not be a problem.And with some hot plates the element will be switching on and of not a good thing for stable reflux =low Abv and surgeing .cheers hillzabilly
hillzabilly

Postby hillzabilly » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:20 am

I also noticed that the coolant lines could do with a couple of cable ties at least ,that hose will soften up with heat and could pop of easily with pressure.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

Postby Irritable » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:36 pm

hillzabilly wrote: .on packing being able to breath through is by no meens 100% proof that there will not be a problem. .cheers hillzabilly

Hey hzb,
My understanding of this type of unit, was that its a cooled column for reflux and then the product vapour that does escape from the reflux, moves into the condenser and then out the take off pipe.
If you can manage to breather both directions through the packing - how does this not stop potential vapour lock issues? I would imagine that breath vapour, heavy with co2 would be a lot heavier than ethanol vapour?
Si
Irritable

Postby hillzabilly » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:12 pm

My opinion is because when the still is running your colomn does not just have packing inside ,it also has an amount of liquid in transit (the refluxing liquid)at times for a variety of reasons (like tight packing, overpowering )this liquid is held up from returning to the boiler,the colomn floods its full of liquid,the boiler now cannot breath through the colomn it builds pressure until it,s enough to clear the colomn an it blows out everywhere,maybe not such a big danger with a small unit like yours but scale that up ,use gas and you got a major problem Houston.hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

Postby Irritable » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:06 pm

Fair point - I need to take that into account, I saw the liquid falling quickly through the packing, but your right, it's going to get held up.
Cheers si
Irritable

Postby Rumking » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:54 pm

Thanks guys for your comments
I have a heap of copper scrubbers I imported from the USA I'll pack it with them and see how we go. I'm just running sugar washes until I understand what I'm doing :D then I plan to make the perfect rum this is why I've always liked the pot still option.

So my best option with what I have is to pack the column I suppose I thought if I add some night to it to get more reflux for the sugar runs but then beable to disable or adjust back to have no reflux for a rum run
Rumking

Return to Pot Stills