The Boka-pot still

Pot still design and discussion

The Boka-pot still

Postby Ploopyster » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:09 am

Ion preparing to build my first still but I want to have my cake and eat it too. I want to produce tasty spirit as well as neutrals. So was thinking of making a 2" Boka and using it as either a reflux or pot still depending on what I want to make. Kind of a multipurpose still! Has this been done? Can this be done? Should this be done?
I can't think of why not. I would just take the packing out to run as a pot. I would leave the reflux condenser off for pot, though could potentially just leave it running as well. It will have a Liebig condenser.
Is this a done thing? Why/why not please?
Cheers
Ploopyster

equipment: Home-made jobby. 2" 1metre column with interchangeable pot still head (with 500mm 2" shotgun condenser) and building a boka head with Liebig condenser.

Re: The Boka-pot still

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:22 am

A Boka will work like a pot still if you unpack it and leave the Offtake valve wide open ;-)

I would make it modular though. Add an easy flange and triclamp just below the slant plates, so you have a detachable Boka head. Then make another head with a couple of 90°'s and a 2" shotgun for your pot still :handgestures-thumbupleft:

And yes, it is done, I got most of the way through doing it before I started building Agrajag...
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Ploopyster » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:49 pm

Thanks Zac,
I've taken your advice and am building a modular pot with capability to add a boka head later on.
And am building a shotgun in place of a Liebig. Cheers.
Will attach pics once I figure it out
Ploopyster

equipment: Home-made jobby. 2" 1metre column with interchangeable pot still head (with 500mm 2" shotgun condenser) and building a boka head with Liebig condenser.

Postby Ploopyster » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:47 pm

It's coming along. ''Twas hard to solder the brass fittings to the copper pipe though. Just waiting on alcometer and tryclamps. Then need to decide how to rig up my boiler element! Any suggestions? It's a keg king 2200W. I want to be able to dial it up/down like a dimmer. But do I need to control the heat out put on a pot still?
Ploopyster

Postby Sam. » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:49 pm

Check out the electrical section mate there are plenty of controller options.

Also good luck with that keg king element, let us know how much use you get before it goes bang ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Ploopyster » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:41 pm

Sorry late with some pics. Had to re size pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ploopyster

Postby Ploopyster » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:43 pm

Sam. wrote:Check out the electrical section mate there are plenty of controller options.

Also good luck with that keg king element, let us know how much use you get before it goes bang ;-)

Haha. Thanks Sam. I got the element for free. I've read on here that there not not too flash.
Ploopyster

Postby sp0rk » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:25 pm

This is more or less exactly the same as my still
The only difference being I have tri clamp joints either side of each bend, so I can alter the lyne arm to go up on an angle for some passive reflux, or straight across for less
I also only have a 500mm vertical column, i'll make another 500mm extension to go under the boka head
Mine seems to work great, I'm sure this will work just as well for you :handgestures-thumbupleft:
sp0rk

equipment: 2.5" pot still
2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka
4" 4 plate glass bubbler in the build stage

Postby mattcoffs » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:59 pm

This is exactly what i'll be doing in the next few weeks.

I (stupidly) bought a Keggomax glass reflux column to try and found it to be rather worthless (condenser not up to the challenge, lots of smearing). The only saving grace was due to poor shipping I actually ended up with two slightly broken ones - so I mixed and matched parts and ended up with something fairly modular.

The condenser ended up being two independent double helix coils and a cold finger all piped with cold water supply through the manifolds. At full 2500w from my boiler the condenser totally floods the column. Seems I had some leftover copper I made an extension for extra packing too so all I need to do is knock up a slant plate attachment and clamp it in. Should be pretty sweet to strip with!

mattcoffs

equipment: T500 boiler. 2" boka. 2" pot. 100ltr SS stockpot boiler build

Postby WalterWhite » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:58 am

still reading and stumbled across this ... How did the build end up Ploopy?
Also this confirms that the Keggo FM looks cool as hell with copper scrubbers packed in but clearly is unreliable and likely to break very quickly!lol. Good work with the 'adapt and overcome' approach Matt.
WalterWhite

equipment: 35L Digiboil with power control, 2” copper pot combo with optional extended column.

Return to Pot Stills