Pot abv query

Pot still design and discussion

Pot abv query

Postby Hardie355 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:23 pm

Hi All,

I've been runnin my 2" pot for stripping runs 2x 45l TPW 1x rum and a mac whiskey and the best abv I get is around 60-65 at 20degrees.
Now these are the only runs I have done on a pot. Is this normal maybe im just used to my 3" bok full of copper mesh?
If any of you potheads :)) have any info would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Hardie355

equipment: 3" boka and 2" pot still
4" 4 plate glasser with 2.5" 9 tube shotty

Re: Pot abv query

Postby Pete8686 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:49 pm

I was going to answer this but soon realised I really have no clue haha. Just started pot stilling through a de-tuned boka and a detuned homemade super-reflux type still. Both start about 80 when stripping my last wash started around 70 runing all 3 burners :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Pete8686

equipment: 2' stainless boka, copper coil. Homemade pot

Postby rumdidlydum » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:49 pm

Yeah mate thats normal for a striping run. With a spirit run at 40% charge expect between 85 to 70%
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby Crusty » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:43 pm

I did my first TPW cleaning run the other day & my starting abv was 70% but not sure what that is @20deg.
The TPW was probably only 10% abv so I'm hoping a 40% low wines charge will get me to 80% for the start of the product run.
One thing I did observe was the distillate flow was a little erratic at times. Flowing nicely, then slowed a bit then ran a bit quicker etc. Is that normal running with gas outdoors & a slight breeze? I did a measure of the collection too & when it was flowing steady, I was getting 90-100mls per minute so around the 6l/hr collection speed. Does that sound about right for a stripping run?
Crusty

equipment: 4" FSD Neutraliser
100lt Milk Can Boiler with 1 x 3600W & 1 x 2400w FSD elements
Head Brewer @The Wobbly Chook Brewing Company

Postby rumdidlydum » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:49 pm

Crusty wrote:I did my first TPW cleaning run the other day & my starting abv was 70% but not sure what that is @20deg. Have a look at your alco meter it will say what its calibrated to. but thats a good %.
The TPW was probably only 10% abv so I'm hoping a 40% low wines charge will get me to 80% for the start of the product run.
One thing I did observe was the distillate flow was a little erratic at times. Flowing nicely, then slowed a bit then ran a bit quicker etc. Is that normal running with gas outdoors & a slight breeze? yep I did a measure of the collection too & when it was flowing steady, I was getting 90-100mls per minute so around the 6l/hr collection speed. Does that sound about right for a stripping run?
Some one who knows about those rigs will have to help you on that one :handgestures-thumbupleft:
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Return to Pot Stills