My very first still.

Pot still design and discussion

My very first still.

Postby Big_driz » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:40 pm

G'day

I finally finished my very first still.
50l Keg boiler on gas with a 900mm long liebig condenser 3/4 over 1/2
DSC_5693.jpg

I soldered some stainless 1" nipples so i could put a stainless barrel union on, to make it a bit more modular. I had to flare the 1" copper a bit to make it a tighter fit to the stainless, then soldered with BOC silvercoat 45T.

Ive done a cleaning run with 50/50 vinegar and water. checked for leaks, none that i could see. Just waiting for some TPW to finish fermenting then ill do a practice/sacrificial run, it should be done in the next couple of days.

im a little excited.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Big_driz

equipment: 2" potstill with a Liebig condenser on a 50l boiler running on gas.

Re: My very first still.

Postby Wobblyboot » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:58 pm

Looks good :handgestures-thumbupleft: what drinks u planning on making?
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Postby maddogpearse » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:00 pm

Good job! I bet that was fun to build wasn't it? :handgestures-thumbupleft:
maddogpearse

equipment: 4 plate single cap primus glass bubbler. Optional 600mm packed section. Block head with 3" Shotgun PC
50L Keg with 5000W electric elements.

Postby Darwin award » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:06 pm

You'll be able to produce lots of tasty spirits with that setup....tropical garden? Give the rum a go...after 3 months on oak, I've none but a wee little bit left..all made on a very similar setup... Goodness, after aging, beast I've ever had.
Darwin award
Site Donor

equipment: Reflux still 1x store bought 1x home made copper 1 x eBay pot still....1 FSD Neutralizer set up and happy in it's new home

Postby Big_driz » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:42 pm

Built this for rum. But I want to try some mango brandy next year when they fruit again.
Whats TPW through the pot still like as a vodka?

It was a lot fun to build. But probably not as much fun as its going to be running it for the first time.
Big_driz

equipment: 2" potstill with a Liebig condenser on a 50l boiler running on gas.

Postby Meatheadinc » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:06 pm

Vodka from a pot is doable. Will require multiple runs taking the the hearts and watering down to below 40%. . Eg do multiple runs taking hearts. Water down all hearts and rerun taking hearts. Water down and rerun. Repeat until your happy with the results.
If doing so i suggest wbab or a grain base is a better option over tpw as you will get some flavour carryover.

A reflux still is a much better option for vodka/neutrals.
Meatheadinc

equipment: 2" LM/VM on 30L boiler
4" FSD Neutraliser 50L boiler
4" carter head thump column
"Control Freak"- Semi Automation

Postby Darwin award » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:19 pm

Meatheadinc wrote:Vodka from a pot is doable. Will require multiple runs taking the the hearts and watering down to below 40%. . Eg do multiple runs taking hearts. Water down all hearts and rerun taking hearts. Water down and rerun. Repeat until your happy with the results.
If doing so i suggest wbab or a grain base is a better option over tpw as you will get some flavour carryover.

A reflux still is a much better option for vodka/neutrals.

:text-+1:
How cool, I'm playing with mango ATM.... I have2 batches waiting my new neutraliser bubbler! But I reckon it would have worked just fine through my pot....and yeah, I reflux my tpw....might do the strip through the pot, but reflux the spirit run!
Darwin award
Site Donor

equipment: Reflux still 1x store bought 1x home made copper 1 x eBay pot still....1 FSD Neutralizer set up and happy in it's new home

Postby rumdidlydum » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:09 pm

Nice work there, i like your idea of coiling wire around the hot side of the output hose to stop kinking :handgestures-thumbupleft:
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby warramungas » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:47 pm

Looks like you have a foot or so of 2" pipe. You might be able to put some copper/stainless mesh in there to increase your abv for vodka runs providing you keep the power down a bit.it wont be ideal as it will only work with passive/atmospheric cooling. I.e. No condenser coil in the head.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby Meatheadinc » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:56 pm

Packing in a pot wont do much because when it comes to temp it will hold temp better as it has a larger thermal mass eg less effected by breeze etc. great if your distilling outside, although it will increase vapour speed
Meatheadinc

equipment: 2" LM/VM on 30L boiler
4" FSD Neutraliser 50L boiler
4" carter head thump column
"Control Freak"- Semi Automation

Return to Pot Stills