makeing first pot still head from salvaged copper

Pot still design and discussion

makeing first pot still head from salvaged copper

Postby toe6982 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:31 pm

hey guys like I said above ive been saveing some copper for about 2 years wanting to build this and hopefully I can make something out of what ive got ,
ive got lots of 1/2in 1in and 5/8 tube and 4meters of 2inch with a "t" fitting on the end this pipe is preety old and id say there is lead in the solder so ill have to disassemble and clean it up Image

questions will this make a nice pothead and how high should I make the collum will it benefit from a couple of feet?
will some 1/2inch comeing off the t piece be ok for a worm ? I was going to make one about 6-8 feet long and run it in a buckit id love a liebig condenser but cant afford on atm
id love to add a thumper aswell once I find something suficiant ill be using a keg boiler and will have to find something around 50% of the size of the keg
going buy those dimensions how much extra power do you guys think I will need to charge the thumper aswell ? and sould I run 1inch into the thumper and some 1/2in out to a worm ? I understand the larger diameter pipe may give me to much vaper velocity also but I want to base my design on this setup here removed link to eBay crap pot with thumper

just after a bit of advice on what you guys would do and recommend if you had the bits ive got I cant afford to spend a lot of money "( hence why id like to make a couple of bottles of something decent to drink each week )" id like to buy a turbo 500 head here removed link to eBay seller not welcome here I thought when I saw that length of copper it would make a nice head with those fittings to save on money and extra expences fittings ect I was just goin to make an easy flange to bolt it to the top of a salad bowl ive got enough to make a boka too but id just be happy with some nice whiskey all ive been using is an air still and it takes me 3days to strip a 13% 40l wash
how long would it take to strip a wash that size in a keg
Last edited by Sam. on Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed advertising links
toe6982

equipment: air still

Re: makeing first pot still head from salvaged copper

Postby Sam. » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:33 pm

First I suggest you read the rules of the forum again.

Second there are plenty of better designs for a pot still and thumper on this forum.

Third if you are going to build a pot that design you linked would do the job and there are plenty of build threads of them here too :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Return to Pot Stills