just finished my first pot head and liebig ..

Pot still design and discussion

just finished my first pot head and liebig ..

Postby toe6982 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:56 pm

hey guys just finished my first pot still head and liebig condenser here is a pic Image

I was a little unsure on a few things and dident get much advice from anyone on this forum previously "my mistake I think I posted a link that I shouldn't of " sorry about that but I have been reading a lot for ages about this veture I have since read all the guidelines thankyou

the liebig was fairly simple and strait forward, I found the instructions on this site in someone else post, the local major hardware store had all the fittings and strait pipe,
its 3/4 over 1/2in and is about 40 in long, I figured a little overkill in length cant hurt much, It should be pretty easy going on the cooling pump any how ....

im just a little unsure about the head configuration ?

the collum is made from 2in and is 18in high the reuducer in the top goes from 2 - 3/4 - 1/2
im using the salad bowl method due to the fact my elements im waiting on wont fit through the neck in the keg and I figure its easyer cause these elements don't need anything welded, im using two 2400w elements one on a controller and the other for a quicker heat up

I was unable to find 2 inch elbow or reducer fittings anywhere there were some in America but postage is worth more than the fitting
so I ended up having to pull the grinder and dermal out to make some fit "if you cant find it grind it right"

anyway I hopeing some of you guys could give a little opinion on the build ( I know the salad bowl sucks but it works and doesent leak) im confident it will work but not sure it will work 100% eficently im only after whiskey not neutrals,

does anyone know a good source for some 2in fittings I mentioned above ?
toe6982

equipment: air still

Re: just finished my first pot head and liebig ..

Postby sp0rk » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:20 pm

Which elements are you using mate?
I'm yet to see any weldless elements that don't fit through the neck of a keg
sp0rk

equipment: 2.5" pot still
2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka
4" 4 plate glass bubbler in the build stage

Postby toe6982 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:37 pm

there from china 2400w spiral water heater elements there 8 cm wide, wider than I can fit through the 2inch round hole in the top of the keg while I was searching I looked at u shaped elements again weldless and there all around the same width

I haven't cut the hole in the keg yet!
its still got the original flange on it , I taped out an easy flange to attach it to the bowl " I can always detach it"

I I just figured a 10 doller saled bowl is cheeper than a tric lamp and with the bowl I wont have to weld a fitting for the element "
just a little unsure on the vapour flow and if the path looks good enough?
ive been planning on this build for a couple of years and hav just been trudging along with an air still I hope this should be a lot better
toe6982

Postby toe6982 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:27 pm

toe6982

Postby Hardie355 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:05 pm

Is that a nylon olive brass compression elbow or copper olive? :-B
Hardie355

equipment: 3" boka and 2" pot still
4" 4 plate glasser with 2.5" 9 tube shotty

Postby rumdidlydum » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:06 pm

Hardie355 wrote:Is that a nylon olive brass compression elbow or copper olive? :-B

Looks like it.
Best advice i can give you is bin them and get one that designed to do the job.
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby toe6982 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:01 pm

yes its a brass compression elbow with a nylon bush .... I have seen others use them or is the nylon bush inside the brass elbow replaced with something else so it wont melt?

I wanted to keep the condenser removable and also adjustable, I was only only limited to what the local hardware store stocks ...
what should I look for to replace it?
toe6982

Postby WTDist » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:11 am

WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Return to Pot Stills