Righto help required to save brain

Pot still design and discussion

Re: Righto help required to save brain

Postby Zak Griffin » Sun May 01, 2016 4:51 pm

Forget the pressure cooker mate, just get a keg...
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby WTDist » Sun May 01, 2016 7:38 pm

check out first post, he has a keg guys. its why it was suggested to do easy flanges to connect to his keg ;-)
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby hillzabilly » Sun May 01, 2016 8:40 pm

Just a thought to ponder ,if ya think the outlay for a 5Star or any other quality still is to much ,consider a few things 1.how much do you potentialy stand ta save in makeing your own and not giveing how much $ to the bottle shop each year.2.that still should last you a life time,when I started out I saved by shareing a still with my bro ,halfing the cost of the big ticket items that we could both use.3.Your getting a known quality and the vital surport to get the result ya need ,thier basic pot still has the potential to be added to and grow with your needs wich is a very important consideration,as most stills will only produce one thing really well .I know several who went cheep couldnot get the result they wanted and gave up frusterated.4.within 2years I had saved more than the still had cost ,my product has never been better.WTF pressure cooker come on lads ,lets leave the dark age's where they belong,give yourself the best chance at success ,and conduct ourselves in a manner wich is more likely to leed to legalization and the loss of a lot of false stigma that has done nothing but hinder the practice of home distillation.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby wynnum1 » Mon May 02, 2016 8:00 am

Zak Griffin wrote:Forget the pressure cooker mate, just get a keg...

Pressure cooker is a pressure vessel and it has a safety valve that stops explosions if you alter could be dangerous and they have a seal that could not be suitable and can be expensive to replace.
wynnum1

Postby EziTasting » Mon May 02, 2016 8:37 am

hillzabilly wrote:Just a thought to ponder ,if ya think the outlay for a 5Star or any other quality still is to much ,consider a few things 1.how much do you potentialy stand ta save in makeing your own and not giveing how much $ to the bottle shop each year.2.that still should last you a life time,when I started out I saved by shareing a still with my bro ,halfing the cost of the big ticket items that we could both use.3.Your getting a known quality and the vital surport to get the result ya need ,thier basic pot still has the potential to be added to and grow with your needs wich is a very important consideration,as most stills will only produce one thing really well .I know several who went cheep couldnot get the result they wanted and gave up frusterated.4.within 2years I had saved more than the still had cost ,my product has never been better.

I agree 100% with this! Quality, once!
hillzabilly wrote:WTF pressure cooker come on lads ,lets leave the dark age's where they belong,give yourself the best chance at success ,and conduct ourselves in a manner wich is more likely to leed to legalization and the loss of a lot of false stigma that has done nothing but hinder the practice of home distillation.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Fair call - have seen this done, it works, was cheap but the results are not as good as purpose designed still (as in a MAC Still)!

wynnum1 wrote:
Zak Griffin wrote:Forget the pressure cooker mate, just get a keg...

Pressure cooker is a pressure vessel and it has a safety valve that stops explosions if you alter could be dangerous and they have a seal that could not be suitable and can be expensive to replace.
Once you take out the valves to put in the still, it is no longer a pressure vessel! Hence the only explosions you can expect are from the alcohol vapours leaking into open flames. Having said that, I concur with the comments made above by Hilzabilly!
Friend of mine bought a small still (not a T500 but similar) and he can do 15L charges, but his TPW compared to ours is average at best!
My comment was based on his desire to start cheap - regrettably I allowed myself to make that comment.
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Distilledsnow » Mon May 02, 2016 8:53 am

Hi guys thank you for your responses and interest in my plight.
I am still going to go down the keg way I think, might take me a little longer, at the moment I'll use my dodgy ebay pot still. I have swapped out brass, when I get near the big smoke I will be looking round for parts to build my proper still.
Outlay is an issue. I am the stay say home dad, so I have to ask the boss for cash. She lets funds out spirodically
I am looking for parts lists to slowly collect bits for my build, I will beg borrow or steal what I can. This is one of the reasons I wanted a plain simple one, that was good but had the least amount of parts so I could collect them.
Distilledsnow

equipment: Ebay pot still from china

Postby hillzabilly » Mon May 02, 2016 11:18 am

Try offering 8Ball a deal for his 2inch pot still in the for sale section viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9179 .no Ezi donot regret your comments ,they were given with the best intentions we are all at different places in our distilling adventures,and I respect each members right to their choice,through us shareing we can all grow a lot faster than a solo effort .My new thumper only came about after I was transfixed by Wooducks triple effort and supported by some advice from Mac ^:)^ .cheers to the forum and all that made it happen.Hillzabilly
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby EziTasting » Mon May 02, 2016 4:29 pm

hillbilly wrote:No Ezi donot regret your comments ,they were given with the best intentions we are all at different places in our distilling adventures,and I respect each members right to their choice,through us shareing we can all grow a lot faster than a solo effort .My new thumper only came about after I was transfixed by Wooducks triple effort and supported by some advice from Mac ^:)^ .cheers to the forum and all that made it happen.Hillzabilly

All good. I, too went for the more expensive but better option straight up. Took on a partner in crime as I couldn't quite get there by myself. The only issue with that it that I didn't end up with the still I originally intended. Not that Im in any way worse off or dissatisfied... Plan just changed and now Im happy coz I can actually do something in this hobby!!! :happy-partydance:
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Previous

Return to Pot Stills