Finished my still again

Pot still design and discussion

Finished my still again

Postby sparkydan » Sun May 22, 2016 7:34 pm

Still playing with it built a pallett bench few xtra things
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sparkydan

equipment: copper pot still with thumper

Re: Finished my still again

Postby bluc » Sun May 22, 2016 7:39 pm

Love this build only thing I would have different is I would have put easy flanges where the cap meets the pot and triclamped it.

That is of course if I even had the skills to make it in the first place :laughing-rolling:

Love it very well done and your bench, I made my bench top from ply I was given..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby sparkydan » Sun May 22, 2016 7:51 pm

Thinking of making my own clamp because the size i need is odd. The kinkod joints im happy with . Still might change the cap foe the thumer and condenser because to hard to get it dry after use .
sparkydan

Postby hillzabilly » Sun May 22, 2016 9:09 pm

Nice one mate ,spose ya use the third stool ya pinched to put ya collection bottle on,have used the wet-dry workshop vac to help dry out a still after use.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby sparkydan » Sun May 22, 2016 9:19 pm

yep thats what the third stools for , my missus wasnt happy i choped them up lol
sparkydan

Postby bluc » Mon May 23, 2016 7:34 pm

sparkydan wrote:Thinking of making my own clamp because the size i need is odd. The kinkod joints im happy with . Still might change the cap foe the thumer and condenser because to hard to get it dry after use .

What if you did and easy flange wide enough to bolt through? 1/2inch pipe instead of 1/4. With maybe 5mm bolts(not sure how wide 1/2 inch is when flattened). Would just have to make a silicone gasket to suit.. you could attach top of thumper and flake stand same way for easier emptying..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby maddogpearse » Mon May 23, 2016 8:36 pm

Hey bloody nice looking rig mate! It would make your great uncle Jesse proud! Hope you smoke a corn pipe while you run it! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
maddogpearse

equipment: 4 plate single cap primus glass bubbler. Optional 600mm packed section. Block head with 3" Shotgun PC
50L Keg with 5000W electric elements.

Postby Professor Green » Mon May 23, 2016 9:29 pm

That's a top notch build sparkydan.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby hillzabilly » Mon May 23, 2016 11:02 pm

If ya use the rye dough to seal ,consider getting some narrow cotton bandages ,after applyeing the dough seal wrap the bandage around the dough 5-6 times and secure with a safety pin ,will minimize chances of a piece breaking away or cracking and will pull it up nice and snug,some old timers sat a small whiskey jug(filled with water) on the flat top to help keep the cap in place and add a small amount of reflux ,also if the pressure built up for whatever reason the cap would simply pop of ,some thing a triclamp or other bolted flange will not do.also in those days they would stir the wash with swab stick as it was heating to stop burning on the base of the boiler and only put the cap on once it was boiling ,stay safe .cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby sparkydan » Tue May 24, 2016 1:38 am

Thanks for that advice im intonthe old timer ways . Been tyring to make this build as traditional as i can diddent really like the idea of a clamp as in all the old photos i havent seen them thanks
sparkydan

Postby Zak Griffin » Tue May 24, 2016 12:11 pm

Old timer ways are all well and good mate but we emphasise safety here... We have the ways and means of doing things with a lot more control than the ol' boys. If I built a 'traditional' pot still like yours, I'd solder the cap to the boiler and run a 2" fill port on the back side so you can't see it, and a drain at the bottom.

The dial thermometer is as useless as it is period incorrect as well.. Why not put the thermometer through a 2" triclamp cap and use that sable your fill port?
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby hillzabilly » Tue May 24, 2016 4:48 pm

I have ta agree with Zac,the romance of the traditional set up should not outway safety considerations and the need for us all to conduct our hobby with the serisness it deserves,if its to become legal then I would expect each still would have meet basic safety standards ,and have built all mine with this in mind,your build may inspire many others ta do the same (have a look at how many views some of the old build threads have)so we want your build ta promote the right way ta do things.A two inch ferrule is to small to put your hand through for cleaning ,I would go to a 4inch sight glass kit from 5Star and solder the cap on as Zac said ,a small cost against what you stand to get back from it,or say ta heck with it and fit sight glasses to ya thumper and flake stand as well ,will make cleaning easy and let ya moniter things better.cheers hillzabilly
hillzabilly

Return to Pot Stills