Pure Distilling Pot Condenser V Pure Still Alembic Condenser

Pot still design and discussion

Pure Distilling Pot Condenser V Pure Still Alembic Condenser

Postby charliez » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:09 pm

Hi I have a Pure Distilling Reflux still and I am seriously thinking of getting a pot still and wondering if I could get on the right track in choosing between the Pure Distilling Pot Condenser or the Still Spirits Alembic Copper Dome and Alembic Condenser as what I have read the copper dome in Still Spirits is more better than the Pure Distilling any feed back would be very much appreicated
regards
charlie
charliez

equipment: pure still reflux

Re: Pure Distilling Pot Condenser V Pure Still Alembic Conde

Postby Kenster » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:30 pm

Charlie, g'day.
Not too familiar with the unit u have but as i have a SS T500, i know their stuff is VERY expensive for what u get. ie. The copper dome thing is just way too dear for what it does.
Are u building your own pot? If not, it is way simpler than u may think and with enough reading on this site, you will be able to customise it to fit your existing column/booler. Then make up a simple leibig condenser and you are cookin.
Research A LOT before u decide, we, many on this site, have regretted HBS purchases to find that we can produce/procure superior products AFTER the event. Check the 'for sale' section, you may do well.
Hope this helps a bit...
Ken
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Re: Pure Distilling Pot Condenser V Pure Still Alembic Conde

Postby Professor Green » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:50 pm

Definitely check your other options charliez. As Ken said, the T500 alembic dome and condenser are ridiculously overpriced for what they are and I found the condenser to be barely adequate. For the money you'd drop on the dome and condenser you can do much better.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Return to Pot Stills