Running a T500, the Proper Way - Discussion Thread

Reflux still design and discussion

Re: Running a T500, the Proper Way - Discussion Thread

Postby globalmark » Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:39 pm

Hi Guys

been reading all this info - as just bought a T500 upgrade from airstill ..
However not much mention on a complete run through from start to finish - lots bits and pieces
the original post running a T500 the proper way is great .

But no mention of a stripping Run first ?? - whats the format here - just run it all first bin the fores 150ml keep everything ,
Then a spirit run dilute to 40% and then rerun with cuts every 200ml after discard the fores again - (as on main page)

What sort of quantities each part - approx I know done by smell and taste but love to know approx what each is ??

Heads -
Hearts -
Tails -
dunder - to dump (good for compost in garden)

Thanks so much for this info i had a lovely chart on the airstill (getting best from airstill) (added pic of chart ) found someone posted here ) so nice to have that sort of info for T500 to start with -
all the best MARK
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
globalmark

equipment: airstil , fuselex filter, mangrove jack ss fermenter

Postby The Stig » Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:04 pm

Nobody talks about stripping runs with a T500 because you can’t really do it without killing it
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby globalmark » Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:53 pm

Hi stig

Sorry what does that mean - dont do a stripping run with a T500 as will damage it ???
or do you mean cant mess it up as simple ?
Thanks
globalmark

Postby The Stig » Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:59 pm

The T500 has a plastic cap on top, run the still too hot (IE a stripping run or pot still mode) and you will warp that cap and it'll never seal again without a lot of messing around.
Turn the still upside down and fill it with water and see if it leaks out the plastic top cap
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby globalmark » Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:09 pm

Hi

yes it does leak out that cap as when cleaned it i filled with water and citric acid and drain out slowly - so does this mean No stripping run with the T500 or just means have to keep temp lower - or shall i strip with my little airstil (but was trying to avoid that as 4litres at a time and 2 washs to do so thats a pain ..
can i adapt or change the plastic part for copper or stainless .
whats your suggestion as i did see a updated post from stillspirits saying can do stripping run but i dont trust there paperwork

thanks Mark
globalmark

Postby globalmark » Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:25 pm

Maybe a stripping run is the wrong word - just distill twice then ?? and water down between ..
globalmark

Postby Sjp770 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:05 am

I ran my new T500 the other day for the first time and got near the 2hr mark with no drips coming out, once I slowed the flow of the still spirits water controller it started coming out immediately. From there I could find tune it to the correct drip drip dribble. But my question is if the cooling is so efficient (cold ground water maybe?) How long should you let it reflux in the column and is there any advantage once it comes to temp? Do people install temp probes in the main body to see when it hits boiling / vapour temps to know when to start the extraction?
- Simon
Sjp770

equipment: T500 still

Previous

Return to Reflux Stills