FSD 2" Boka

Reflux still design and discussion

FSD 2" Boka

Postby Carol » Fri May 17, 2019 3:11 pm

After an extended holiday on the east coast with Australia Post my Boka ( affectionately known as Boris) has arrived.

Boris low res 17th May.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carol
Mentor

equipment: Still Spirits Air Still
FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)
FSD 2" pot still ( aka Natasha)

Re: FSD 2" Boka

Postby Carol » Fri May 17, 2019 3:18 pm

He is 175 cm tall from the floor to the topmost part.
Pictures of all of the bits follow.

Boiler.jpg

column.jpg

boiler adapter.jpg

centre piece.jpg

top section.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Postby Andrew » Fri May 17, 2019 4:53 pm

He arrived at last. :laughing-rolling:
Now what did you say his name was ? :whistle:
Andrew

equipment: Anything I choose From The 5 Star Range

Postby Carol » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:27 pm

As there will soon be a few boka buddies I will post some photos for general reference. The next photos are the column adaptor.

connector1.jpg

connector3.jpg
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Postby Arismac » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:15 pm

Nice one Carol. Mine will ship when Andrew's cat (aka the shower screen) and his seriously damaged foot recover. Keep the images coming, please.
Last edited by Arismac on Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arismac

equipment: none left

Postby Carol » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:39 pm

Next set of photos are hose fittings and cooling hoses. I bought brass fittings rather than plastic - from Bunnings. I started off using water from the tap and running it into the drain - but it uses a lot of water so I bought a submersible pump (350W Ozito dirty water pump - $89). I am recirculating water from our swimming pool now. When we move next year and don't have a pool I plan to run the still in the bathroom and fill the bath with water instead - unless I need to water the garden.
The coloured bands of tape on both ends of the hoses are so I don't get confused with which one is meant to go where. For the Boka I use the left hand side for water input and the right hand side for water output. Hoses are longer than I need for the pool as they are the ones I used with the tap and drain. I will probably reorganise the system with shorter hoses later.

hoses1.jpg

hoses2.jpg

hoses4.jpg

hoses5.jpg

hoses3.jpg
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Postby Arismac » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:28 pm

Excellent photo's, thanks Carol.

Today's question. Is there a port for a thermometer in the Boka cooling water line. I have a T500 Water Flow Regulator which is really, really good in controlling and stabilising the coolant water flow. It, of course, acts as a buffer between supply water pressure variations and makes it very easy to control the temperature of the condenser to within one degree.
Last edited by Arismac on Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arismac

Postby Andrew » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:50 pm

Water flow to a Boka is a constant flat out affair.
Your going to need to forget everything youve learnt using the T500
You control the alcohol output with the suppied valve
A thermometer is supplied to keep an eye on head/vapour temp
Andrew

equipment: Anything I choose From The 5 Star Range

Postby Arismac » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:50 pm

OK, OK, OK, where do I download the handbook/user manual?
Last edited by Arismac on Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arismac

Postby bluc » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:00 pm

1800w/ water flat out/ close output valve/ wait till thermometer stabalises /full reflux half hour/ open valve till you get drips, colpect fores heads. Open valve more collect at around 1-1.5l/h when temp change you are in tails.. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Arismac » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:04 pm

Now we are getting somewhere. Thanks mate.
Arismac

Postby bluc » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:24 pm

You can heat up with more watts than that if able. As soon as head is hot up top to touch (goes from cold to hot pretty quick once boiler is up to temp). Then drop back to 1800w for the run or colum will likely flood and it may spit somes fores out top :scared-eek: top must always remain open to atmosphere :handgestures-thumbupleft: i dropped the power when the boiler went quiet usually a good sign its up to temp.
Last edited by bluc on Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Rolls912 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:04 pm

Carol wrote:Next set of photos are hose fittings and cooling hoses. I bought brass fittings rather than plastic - from Bunnings. I started off using water from the tap and running it into the drain - but it uses a lot of water so I bought a submersible pump (350W Ozito dirty water pump - $89). I am recirculating water from our swimming pool now. When we move next year and don't have a pool I plan to run the still in the bathroom and fill the bath with water instead - unless I need to water the garden.
The coloured bands of tape on both ends of the hoses are so I don't get confused with which one is meant to go where. For the Boka I use the left hand side for water input and the right hand side for water output. Hoses are longer than I need for the pool as they are the ones I used with the tap and drain. I will probably reorganise the system with shorter hoses later.

hoses1.jpg

hoses2.jpg

hoses4.jpg

hoses5.jpg

hoses3.jpg

See the image with the brass fittings and double rubber rings. They aren’t compatible with the orange click hose connectors. Well they work but they will pop off.
Rolls912

equipment: 5SD 4inch Boka
5SD pot still
5SD milk can
Carter head
Charcoal filter
Temp controller

Postby dans.brew » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:15 pm

Rolls912 wrote:See the image with the brass fittings and double rubber rings. They aren’t compatible with the orange click hose connectors. Well they work but they will pop off.

Interesting to know Rolls. I've nearly bought some for my still cause they look the goods with 2 rings... sick of my plastic ones leaking periodically. As long as carol connects brass to brass things should be all good.
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby The Stig » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:31 am

But brass on brass works perfect
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Carol » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:09 am

Hi Guys
Thanks for the comments. Sorry if I was not clear. The brass connectors go on the still. The orange plastic ones attach to the pump - I think that is showing in one picture. I will post some more pictures later today.
Cheers Carol.
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Postby Arismac » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:07 pm

OK this is what I think I am going to do with the Boka. Remember I have not even seen a Boka yet so please pick this to bits and get it right for me.

1. Pack column with copper mesh so that you can breathe through the tube
2. Mount the Boka column on the boiler and test your water flow through the condenser
3. Switch on the boiler and turn on your cooling water. Flow can be slow until temp begins to rise
4. The purpose of packing is to slow down the vapor and let it condense as it rises, this allows the water (it will cool first) to drop out and return to the boiler while the ethanol will rise up to the condenser.
5. The ethanol discharge valve should be open.
6. Watch your temperature and when it starts to rise turn the cooling water to full on.
7. As the temperature rises through the acetone/methanol range (54C-71C) draw off the distillate and discard the fore shots
8. Close the ethanol discharge valve
9. Watch your temp and let column equalize at 78C you are now refluxing ethanol
10. Make voltage and coolant water flow adjustments as needed
11. Allow the the column to reflux for about 15 minutes at a constant 78C
12. Slowly open the ethanol discharge valve and adjust the drip rate to delivery 15 – 20ml per minute.
13. HEADS will come off first and continue through to HEARTS and there will be subtle temperature differences
14. Near the end of the run after about four hours, the temperature will start to rise again. When it reaches 82C switch off the power and water coolant.
99. Job done.
(Plagiarised from all over the place)

* Acetone 56.5C
* Methanol (wood alcohol) 64C
* Ethyl acetate 77.1C
* Ethanol 78C
* 2-Propanol (rubbing alcohol) 82C
* 1-Propanol 97C
* Water 100C
Arismac

Postby bluc » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:59 pm

Two things i would change water on full from start(shit happens and sometimes forget to increase flow= vapour out top :naughty: ) nunber 5 valve should be closed while heating up and in full reflux. Otherwise output runs out and fores heads dont compound in weir. Their is a breather hole up top so still cant build pressure and is always open to atmosphere dont ever block that hole ..:handgestures-thumbupleft:
Last edited by bluc on Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Carol » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:19 pm

Today was my first spirit run. This is how it went.
It takes 45 minutes for the 25 litre boiler to heat up. Cooling lines are filled and checked and then water turned on. Water is pumped from the swimming pool and returns to the pool. Valve is closed. Full power until it got to temperature.
Then power reduced to keep it around 78 degrees or so. Valve still closed for 45 minutes allowed for reflux. So 90 minutes all up.
Valve partly opened for a steady drip/dribble.
I have a couple of small measuring jugs(Kmart) and took off the first 300ml as fores.
Then I collected distillate in 300ml lots ( approximately 12 minutes ). So 300ml into the jug and then the jug is swapped over. ABV is measured and into a numbered jar. Kitchen timer to keep track of the time between jug changes. It took about 4 hours to collect the distillate.
I have 17 jars airing - they are approximately 300ml each.
So approximately 5 1/2 hours for a spirit run. ( I use the pot still for stripping runs - takes about 2 hours per 25 litre wash).
Now that I have some idea of timing and output I will be more organised next time.
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Postby Arismac » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:20 pm

Thank you Bluc, my friend. I have changed my working copy.
Last edited by Arismac on Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arismac

Next

Return to Reflux Stills