FSD 2" Boka

Reflux still design and discussion

Re: FSD 2" Boka

Postby Wellsy » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:14 pm

I can’t help you much gasman as I always use copper when I do my spirit runs in the pot still
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Gasman » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:01 pm

The Stig wrote:So the answer to my question is actually No.
Your running the pot still not the Boka

Stig ,Sorry for the confusion

I attach my 750mm FSD column on my crappy essencia boiler with No copper in it then attach the 2 x 90 degree bends and my condenser

I have been experimenting by using 2,1 and zero copper mesh coils.My last run was a spirit run and I ran it with no copper.My take on things is some people use a few rolls and some use none - but obviously I am trying to establish this on a 2 inch FSD pot still

Also I do/ will upgrade bit by bit and just was wondered how to go about growing up to be a big Moonie from a little one  :)) and crank out great kick arse Bourbon.
Gasman

equipment: 5star boka both reflux and pot

Postby The Stig » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:10 pm

Step one is a new boiler I reckon :handgestures-thumbupleft:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby R3dRanga » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:52 pm

Wash is TPW to make high quality neutral.

Hi Carol, any particular reason you opt for TPW? How does it compare to say FFV for making neutral?

I tried TPW once. My notes say that it was the best in terms of ABV/Hydrometer reading, but there's a very good chance I read incorrectly because it was only my 2nd ever wash. It didn't work out so well on the little pot still, but also harder to clean up. It coloured my world pink! I've been doing FFV or WBAB for that reason but interested in your experience with washes.

And another question for future reference (when I manage to get myself a boka!)... I see you first do a stripping run for each of your three 25L washes, then combine "to get enough for a spirit run". Is it possible to run a smaller amount on the spirit run? Maybe even the output of a single wash/stripping run? (obviously diluted) Or perhaps 2 stripping runs? Are you running 3 washes purely for efficiency / better vol output? Have you tried running less on the spirit run?

Thanks,
RR
R3dRanga

equipment: Spirit Maker Reflux, 30L boiler
4L Airstill (teenie!)

Postby Carol » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:30 pm

Hi Ranga
TPW doesn't work very well with the air still as it is essentially a pot still and retains the flavour. As Stig says you end up with tomato flavoured whisky.
TPW in the boka gives a faintly floral neutral. FFV gives a faintly wheaty neutral. I have been making fruit gins and Baileys etc so the faint floral works better but it is a very faint flavour ( that took a while for me to pick up on) so it is a matter of personal preference (and what you happen to have in the cupboard at the time you are putting on the wash).

I have three 30 litre fermenters and do three stripping runs for efficiency ( I clean and refill the fermenter with the next wash while I am minding the still so my fermenters are always full.) I prefer the smaller fermenters as they are easy for me to manage.
I use the contents of those stripping runs for a spirit run for efficiency as well. Once the boiler reaches temperature you let it reflux for 45 minutes before you take any distillate. So I may as well get up early and settle down for the day and do a full run as a partial run. I usually set it up the night before so I can make an early start (well early for me anyway!).

With an enclosed element on the boiler I guess you could part fill the boiler if you wanted to. I think Wellsy does small runs in his pot still to make Odin's Easy Gin.

Cheers
Carol
Carol
Mentor

equipment: Still Spirits Air Still
FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)
FSD 2" pot still ( aka Natasha)

Postby The Stig » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:20 pm

Hi RR , you can run as little as 1lt in the turbo boiler with elements hidden under the base of the boiler , they also have a safety cut off switch so it won’t blow if boiled dry .
So yes, you can do smaller runs
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby northerner » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:49 am

Hi everyone - sorry been lurking in the background for a while now. Have made several batches of pretty good gin using FSD 2" pot and T500. My question is - what advantages would replacing the T500 with the Boka give me on this scale (2")? Would I be able to run a bit faster than the T500? Output quality similar I guess??

Cheers
Last edited by northerner on Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
northerner

equipment: Copper T500
FSD 2" Pot

Postby bluc » Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:52 pm

With 1200mm of packing. I got 1.5l/h @azeo from 2" boka.
Last edited by bluc on Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Bustah » Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:59 pm

Hey guys! I'm onto my second spirit run on the FSD 2" boka (first went well, albeit a bit slow, ended up with 600ml super clean at 92% and 400ml a touch less so at 91%, rest went back into this next run without the fores/heads or tails)

Quick question about collection rate, it's a 22L TFFV stripped to 4.8L at 42%, watered down and the not so clean hearts from the last lot in gave me around 6.4L at 40%. i've got 5 rolls of copper in at the moment, if i collect at 100ml/15 minutes it tastes super clean, if i try to increase it at all to the collection rate i've seen thrown around in the thread, it starts tasting not great, definitely more burny.

I'm working with the digiboil, 1900w turned on and volt meter turned down to 12 out of 22.

Would the issue be the voltage? Should i add some more copper? (i'm rolling up another 3 to test for the next run) or am i just being too picky? lol..

Also wanted to check, if i was to do 3 stripped runs instead, would i be looking at tripling my run time or does it work out to be quicker per wash? Because at the moment i'm at 6 hours and still not quite done, not sure if i could do an 18 hour run :laughing-rolling:
Bustah
Site Donor

equipment: Planning on purchasing a t500 boiler, 5Star 2" boka and pot

Postby Carol » Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:17 pm

Hi Bustah
Dk about the digiboil.
I found it more efficient to do three stripped runs together (40% ABV) as a spirit run.
You have to heat it and reflux it anyway - I would usually prepare it the night before, start at about 7 and be finished around 3.

Rough yield (95%)
Heads - 1 litre
Tails 1.5 litre

18 x 350ml jars of varying quality (6 x 350ml hearts, 8 x 350ml "OK" , 2 x 350ml - headsy, 2x 350 ml tailsy)

Cheers
Carol
Carol
Mentor

equipment: Still Spirits Air Still
FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)
FSD 2" pot still ( aka Natasha)

Postby The Stig » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:03 pm

Bustah wrote: i've got 5 rolls of copper in at the moment,

Why only 5 rolls of copper ? Should be 7 to fill the upright all the way, and each roll should be around 110-120 grams each (thats about 2m of our mesh)

Bustah wrote:I'm working with the digiboil, 1900w turned on and volt meter turned down to 12 out of 22

I would turn on both elements so your working with a full 2400w and use the power controller to adjust
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Bustah » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:16 pm

Awesome thanks guys. Crank to 2400, what are the signs that i should turn down the voltage? distillate coming off too hot? I'll get the extra rolls in for next run, do you think i'll be able to run faster while maintaining current quality with those changes?

Not sure why i ended up with the 5 rolls honestly! was too eager to get a run going, didn't end up cleaning the rest so have just run without because i was too lazy to do another sac run for the remaining rolls :? do i need to do a new sac run for the extra 2-3 rolls? i've done the citric bath for them already
Bustah
Site Donor

Postby The Stig » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:22 pm

2" will always be slow, around 600-700ml/hour take off.
With more copper you should be able to pull 93 or 94%
If your running too hard, you will see distillate coming out the top vent and the take off will be too hot
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Bustah » Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:49 pm

Just doing a sac run with my old sac distillate, 3 more rolls of copper (1 in the sight glass) so 8 in total

How much venting out the top is acceptable? I’ve got both elements on for 2400W and the controller turned down to 9. Water coming out cold, getting a puff every few seconds holding a mirror it 1cm from the top (this is during reflux)
Bustah
Site Donor

Postby The Stig » Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:14 pm

Should not be getting anything out the top
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Bustah » Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:30 pm

Didn’t seem to matter how low i set the voltage (literally down to it turning off) or how high i cranked the water (4.5L per minute, cold from the tap) there was always something coming out the top (maybe 1 puff every 10 seconds?)

Is there another variable I’m missing? Was getting 92% when collecting at 600ml/hour, 93.5% when i slowed down to 400ml/hour
Bustah
Site Donor

Postby The Stig » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:06 pm

Have you got any copper in the top around the coil ?
You mentioned a glass section , have you got a seal with gauze/mesh in there ?
Last edited by The Stig on Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Bustah » Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:51 pm

No copper around the coil, no gauze or mesh in the sight, it sits above the other 2 packed sections so the packing isnt going anywhere
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bustah
Site Donor

Postby The Stig » Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:08 pm

If you have some copper mesh left over , pack it in and around the coil at the top , it will just help the coil be a touch more effective
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby tjx2 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:01 am

Hi Bustah

Here are photos of my coil section packed with copper.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tjx2

equipment: FSD Boka 2" Boka
FSD 2" Pot

PreviousNext

Return to Reflux Stills