Boka questions

Reflux still design and discussion

Boka questions

Postby tubbsy » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:21 pm

So I ran my 3" boka last weekend with a turbo wash a mate wanted run because his T500 is broken, and it went very well. We did a single run on the ~15% wash and got 95% at around 3L/hr. But to fine tune it a bit more, I have a couple questions...

1. In the boka driving instructions I've read on this site it says to reduce the power/heating once at a boil? Why's that? I would have thought more vapour being produced from the boiler would increase the reflux ratio. In my run my 3-Ring burner was flat out the entire run.

2. I built my still modular so I can take the boka head off the 1500mm column. Could I attach the boka head directly to the boiler via the inverted reducer to run in pot still mode? I've also made it so I can easily remove the needle valve and just use the straight 10mm tube to the liebig. I will be making more modular components as funds allow and a pot still will be part of that. Just not for a while.

3. Has anyone used a boka to do a single run of a brown spirit? Say put 400-500mm of packing, lower the heating substantially and run with the needle valve fairly wide open? Output ~80%.
tubbsy

equipment: 50L keg with a 3" x 4 plate column. Convertable to a pot still with worm condensor.

Re: Boka questions

Postby Nathan02 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:38 pm

I have put macwhiskey through a boka, slow single pass and detuned.. Took a very long time to come good on oak..over 2 years. I would strip then spirit run
Nathan02

equipment: 6" 4 plate bubbler with optional packed section.

Re: Boka questions

Postby tubbsy » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:03 am

Was that due to the heads smearing, or tails? Or both?
tubbsy

equipment: 50L keg with a 3" x 4 plate column. Convertable to a pot still with worm condensor.

Return to Reflux Stills