New build

Reflux still design and discussion

New build

Postby axeallen » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:16 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking at building a still to upgrade from my little air still.

Looking at making it a modular boka/pot style in 2 inch size.

So my idea is from my boiler (looking like a milk can build from 5star with 1 2400W element, maybe a second, more questions later) 4-2 inch reducer to approximately 1.5mt length before the double reducer boka head whuch will be attached with tri-clamp.

Im having some trouble with finding what length for the reducer, ive seen some that look a couple of inches long, while others look very minimal. What length should I be aiming for?

Next question, length of pipe into the upper reducer making the "collection cup". My understanding would be smaller size = more reflux but would then reduce the output speed ability. Is this correct? What would be a good height here?

I am looking at a coil of about 300mm long, would this be a good size? Smaller/bigger??

Pot still side, looking at 2x 90 bends then down into a shotgun condenser at about 500mm long with 5x 1/2 inner tubes.

Thermometer, would locating it in the initial vertical column just under the tri-clamp be a suitable position to use it in both modes?

I hopefully attached a pic of what im thinking to help.

Any info and help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
axeallen

equipment: Air still

Re: New build

Postby RC Al » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:15 pm

Have you considered a ccvm or hybrid?
If your getting a shotgun anyways, the ccvm generally has a better output rate vs better compression from the lm. With the addition of a T above the Boka cups, you could run both ways, using the LM (boka) for fores n heads and VM for hearts

Shorter is better when there is a ceiling involved (barring the packed section)
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby axeallen » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:03 pm

I have tried wrapping my head around how they work and things just arnt clicking in my head with the operation of them, where as the boka and pot i think i have the hows and whys sorted out ish.
axeallen

Postby Sam. » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:12 pm

Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby axeallen » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:26 pm

Sam. wrote:Read this?

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=3117

I have read this a few times trying to wrap my head around it but im not there. Maybe in the future and something I can play around with
axeallen

Postby Shaun » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:18 am

When i was looking at different stillsi came across this guys channel, awesome info and he built his own ccvm and it might explain more for you.

https://youtu.be/_IAIA_kQEgs
Shaun

equipment: 2" CM Reflux Still
50L Keg

Postby Sam. » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:04 pm

Shaun wrote:When i was looking at different stillsi came across this guys channel, awesome info and he built his own ccvm and it might explain more for you.

Don’t think I would go with awesome content but at least he isn’t dangerous....
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Shaun » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:16 pm

Sam. wrote:
Shaun wrote:When i was looking at different stillsi came across this guys channel, awesome info and he built his own ccvm and it might explain more for you.

Don’t think I would go with awesome content but at least he isn’t dangerous....

I find the way he explains things is nice and simple, maybe because he was a newbie at the start of his channel.
Last edited by Shaun on Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shaun

equipment: 2" CM Reflux Still
50L Keg

Postby db1979 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:17 am

He doesn't profess to be an expert at least. I haven't watched much of his videos though. I liked his experiment on smearing through a parrot even if there were issues with how it was performed.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Return to Reflux Stills