2" Boka , 2 plate or 2 cup? Which is best?

Reflux still design and discussion

2" Boka , 2 plate or 2 cup? Which is best?

Postby StillNoob » Sun May 10, 2020 8:00 pm

Contemplating buying or maybe DIY a boka.

It would be for neutrals only ,I wondered if there would be any real difference in product?
StillNoob

equipment: Had an Airstill looking to upgrade

Re: 2" Boka , 2 plate or 2 cup? Which is best?

Postby Sam. » Mon May 11, 2020 11:47 am

Is the question wether a 2 cup or 2 plate boka would be better?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby PeterC » Mon May 11, 2020 12:37 pm

Or are you asking if there is any difference between slant plates or reducing cup designs? They both work on the same principle. They are liquid managed with excess liquid returned down the column. Slant plates are popular with home builds as they are the lowest cost in fittings. You only need copper tube and flat plate. Reducing cups look good and are easy to build in stainless steel using fittings already on the shelf. I think the 5 Star Boka is this design. There are many short Boka stills around. It is long column length and packing that give the best purity and high abv.

I started this hobby with a short reflux still which smeared everything and could not get a clean product in my opinion. (but there are many out there with branded versions of these that seem to be happy with what they are tasting) I got a taller still which was better but the speed for the wash sizes I was doing frustrated me so I went to 4 inch modular systems. Main thing is to enjoy yourself and the results of your efforts.
Cheers
PeterC

equipment: An 18gall. (80L) keg boiler. A 50L Keg boiler. A 4 plate, 4 inch glass column, 500mm packed section Carter head. A 1.8L all copper micro still for small batches of Gin. Plus other bits.

Postby StillNoob » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:52 pm

thanks for the replies, not sure why I didn't get notifications but oh well.

Yes I was wondering if a 2 cup or 2 plate design would be better, it seems both the same so thanks
Still procrastinating over buy or build
StillNoob

equipment: Had an Airstill looking to upgrade

Return to Reflux Stills