2” Double Reducer Boka Build

Reflux still design and discussion

Re: 2” Double Reducer Boka Build

Postby LikkerSheWillLoveIt » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:21 pm

So I wound my condenser coil today. 200mm of 1/4” copper double helix.

I’d really like to see the coil in the glass, I’ve got 40mm from the deflector plate, to the top of the glass. In a perfect world scenario, what is the ideal distance from the bottom of the coil, to the deflector plate??

In the photo the coil is only about 30mm from the deflector plate.

Cheers in advance.

Trent.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LikkerSheWillLoveIt

equipment: Home made 50L keg boiler. PID controlled. Stainless Column dual valved reflux still.

Postby RC Al » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:17 am

Too many variables mate

When you do your vinegar run, study how the steam flows - I belive it will change a bit depending on power appled

You may be able to sit it on the deflector if you have excess cooling capactity, see how you go, you could make a longer condenser or back it up with a secondary one if its not up to scratch
Last edited by RC Al on Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby LikkerSheWillLoveIt » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:54 pm

Did a water run on Sunday and had a little leak. A few (a LOT) of R18+ words, some cutting, some welding, and it’s all fixed. Now to finish sorting out my Liebig for a PC and my cooling water lines.

Ordered a Power Controller from FSD so hoping to have it all ready for a sac run on Sunday.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LikkerSheWillLoveIt

equipment: Home made 50L keg boiler. PID controlled. Stainless Column dual valved reflux still.

Postby The Stig » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:41 pm

Cut the take off to a point, it helps to direct the flow/stream.
Looks the good :handgestures-thumbupleft:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby LikkerSheWillLoveIt » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:55 pm

That is only a temporary off take tube, that I used for my water run. Making a 1 metre Liebig before the sac run.
LikkerSheWillLoveIt

Postby LikkerSheWillLoveIt » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:38 am

So I have 1/4” output on my still, during the water run, no packing, single 2400w element and my dual ring gas burner on, the double wound coil 1/4” tube, 200mm long, knocked down everything, and I was able to open the needle valve and take off everything with the cone empty. So my output tube size is good.

I want to make a Liebig PC today and I’d like to keep it 1/4”. I have read the general consensus is 3/4” over 1/2”, but will 1/2” over 1/4” be enough? I can go up to 1000mm long. I’ve got a plumber mate and raiding his scrap bin today. I already have the 1/4” copper.

Thanks everyone.

Trent.
LikkerSheWillLoveIt

Postby RuddyCrazy » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:58 am

I reckon 3/4" over the 1/4" will give you enough knockdown power where 1/2" over 1/4" may struggle, to give you an example on my minime pot still I had 3/4" over 1/2" and after a couple of stripping runs it wouldn't knock down the vapour. Upgrading the PC to 1" over 1/2" solved the problem big time.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby LikkerSheWillLoveIt » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:57 am

Thanks for the quick response Bryan. From the PC water will flow up to the RC, pre heating the water RC too much (any is too much) was concerning me. I’ll definitely be going with the 3/4. Thanks again.
LikkerSheWillLoveIt

Postby RC Al » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:35 pm

No No No

1/2 or even 3/8 over 1/4, any extra jacket space lets laminar flow push the cold water through the centre of the jacketed section (channelling), reducing the ability of the water to take the heat with it

What take off rates were we talking Bryan?

This is only a product cooler, but being able to use it as a real liebig would be a bonus.

Not sure I would tie the flow rates of the two together either
RC Al
Mentor

2" Potty

Postby bluc » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:54 pm

I dont like 1/4 on any still(incluslding my air still) way to much potential for blockage but on a boka as extra cooling 1/2 over 1/4 should be heaps. If you plan on making a pot also then as rc says 3/4 over 1/2 will knockdown a 2" pot no worries..you can use same pc on 2 stills..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby LikkerSheWillLoveIt » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:41 am

This is why this forum is so damn good. I’m just looking at a secondary product condenser. I’m a tinkerer, nothing ever gets finished before the next project started. So I’m really only after a 1 size fits 1 solution. If I do a 2” pot still, I’ll build a dedicated pot still with its own condenser.

I’m hopefully building it today, so I’ll go for some 1/2”

Thanks heaps

I’m hoping to run this thing over the weekend.
LikkerSheWillLoveIt

Postby LikkerSheWillLoveIt » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:18 pm

So I did my sac run yesterday and a TPW single reflux run today. It was only one ferment so a 22ish L charge. All happened buy the book and I had the controller set at 75ish % 180 on the display. Taking off beautifully at 93%. Cutting every 200ml and there is a line in the sand with the smell of the jars right off the still. Off take temp was 32C with the new PC. “Vapour” temp measured as close to the bottom of the cone as possible was steady at 82C. Collection was steady.

Then I saw what appeared to be a leak inside the still. On closer inspection the distillate was “re-boiling” (for want of a better term) I figured not enough vapour condensing to cool the distillate at the top. Cranked up the power to 100% and sure enough more vapour collected and condensed and cooled, and although it showed no signs of stopping, it continued to output at the same rate, and the “re-boiling” ceased and it continued like it had previously.

My cooling water on the back end maintained around 32C (I had it cranking). Now, when I figured I was close to the end of the run, I smelt the next jar, and once again line in the sand, dog fart, wet hay smell, then I looked up and I saw the same “re-boiling” ever so slightly beginning again, I took off another 100ml and there was definitely an increase in the “re-boiling” Knowing I was well and truly into the tails I shut it down.

If anyone wants to offer advice on driving this thing, please chime in. I’m very happy with the results. Output speed, ABV and smell straight off the still, and quantity all exactly where I had hoped.
LikkerSheWillLoveIt

Postby bluc » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:42 pm

Not sure what you mean by re boiling but being able to pick "line in the sand" straight off still is a grest thing(especially on first run) and you should be able do tight cuts. :music-deathmetal:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby LikkerSheWillLoveIt » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:51 pm

In this photo you can see the distillate at the top of the cone, those bubbles are not from a leak, it looked like it was boiling up there.
LikkerSheWillLoveIt

Postby RC Al » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:45 pm

Awesome pic
What wall thickness is the collection cup? How many watts you using?

Sounding like a good win there mate. Looks like you have a built in tails detector :happy-partydance:
RC Al
Mentor

2" Potty

Postby LikkerSheWillLoveIt » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:26 am

Wall thickness of the cup is 1.6mm 304 grade. I’m running a single 2200w element through my new FSD controller (first time using the controller) I use a double ring gas burner for pre heat only (I turn the gas off when the column is about 3/4 heated)

I was really happy with how it ran, maybe I’ll just leave the controller flat out. It held a constant temp measured just below the cup in the vapour trail.

I must say RC, On my very first post about my old still, you said it would smear, I thought it was doing a good job, until now. The obvious definition between heads, hearts and tails is amazing. My old still smeared like a MF! It’s no longer in my possession.
LikkerSheWillLoveIt

Postby RC Al » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:51 am

Nice

I'd have to throw some more power at it to see what happens, Sounds like you have a good sweet spot @2200 already, it might be possible to get a little more abv out of it with more reflux. Have a couple more runs, work out your take off rates and then maybe try leaving the burner set on low plus the controlled element :handgestures-thumbupleft:
RC Al
Mentor

2" Potty

Postby LikkerSheWillLoveIt » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:22 pm

I will do another run as is, with a full charge, leaving the element at full noise and see how we go. If I think it needs more power during the run, ill throw the gas on and see what happens. I don’t mind throwing another element in it and run on a different circuit. I’ve got both circuits with GPOs already where I want them.

I think it will be a very easy still to operate, once I’m happy with what I’m getting, I know that I’ll build something bigger.
LikkerSheWillLoveIt

Postby bluc » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:41 pm

Like the design :handgestures-thumbupleft: any idea what the amount of liquid it holds in the area for drawing off before overflowing back down column?
bluc
Site Donor

Postby LikkerSheWillLoveIt » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:32 am

bluc wrote:Like the design :handgestures-thumbupleft: any idea what the amount of liquid it holds in the area for drawing off before overflowing back down column?

Sorry mate, only just saw this comment. I just measured it and it’s about 75ml.
LikkerSheWillLoveIt

PreviousNext

Return to Reflux Stills