Pure Distilling Reflux add on bits - Anyone using them?

Reflux still design and discussion

Pure Distilling Reflux add on bits - Anyone using them?

Postby Old Hermit » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:20 pm

The local HBS has just got in some tri clover add on bits for the Pure Distilling Spirit maker.
I'm thinking of getting the 500mm extension, and the sight glass with a view to also adding the pot still attachment.

Has anyone got some feedback on how addition of the extension has improved their spirit?
Old Hermit

equipment: Pure Distilling Spirit Maker
Air Still
35L Digiboil

Re: Pure Distilling Reflux add on bits - Anyone using them?

Postby BigRig » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:55 am

The site glass looks good but not required or beneficial on a boka still.

The 500mm extension (with extra packing) will be beneficial in providing more reflux. Will give you higher ABV and should clean up the spirit more if thats what you're going for. The PD still should already be producing quality neutral now ? The extra height wont speed up the process if that's what you were looking for.

Pot still attachment is good if you are wanting to make other flavoured spirits other than neutral.

I personally would only go for the pot attachment and save money on the other bits.
Without sounding like a broken record i would also look at 5star's pot still options for that boiler.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby southern45 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:22 am

The 500,, extension might give you a cleaner neutral, but I've never had any issues with a WBAB wash through the PD Reflux.

Sight glass would be "fun" but pretty pointless.

I'm not sure I'd bother with any of the add-ons as it's a basic still that does a good job.
southern45

equipment: Four plate 5-Star copper bubbler

Postby PeeGee » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:36 pm

Yep.

I am quite happy with my extension.

Has increased my 10 year old Pure distilling still. 90% to 94%.

PeeGee
PeeGee

equipment: Air Still, 25Lite 2 inch Boka; 25Litre 2 inch Pot Still; 1 by 50 Litre 4 inch Boka; 100Litre 4 inch 4 plated still.

Return to Reflux Stills