T500 mod

Reflux still design and discussion

T500 mod

Postby Hick1960 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:37 pm

I read on another forum, a guy said he had no plastic in the vapour path on his T500. I have no reason to doubt him as for all I know there may have been an updated model released.
I have a T500 that’s not yet 12 months old, and as I don’t use it anymore, I thought I’d strip it down and have a look. The plastic cap at the top of mine has no copper or stainless protecting the vapour from the plastic.
Seeing I had it pulled apart, I thought I’d modify it to rid it of the plastic. All it took was a 2” copper cap, a 6.5mm and 9.5mm drill.
This is probably not a new mod and probably been posted before somewhere, but for those using the T500 , and concerned with the plastic parts, this is a real easy fix.
Not sure how the small condenser would handle a stripping run, I’ll try it oneday, but running slow without packing might be ok for my small gin boiler.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hick1960

equipment: Turbo 500
2” pot with Shotgun condenser
2” Boka
1” gin pot still
4” FSD Neutralizer

Re: T500 mod

Postby krusey » Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:37 pm

great idea might have to do this myself
krusey

equipment: 3 inch VM still on a 50 litre beer keg boiler, and a 25 litre essensia hbs reflux CM style rig

Postby The Stig » Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:12 pm

The next mod is to separate the water into the condensers so you have better control over the cooling.
Then remove the packing and replace with copper mesh.
Then add an extension to more height and packing.
Then a power controller, it’s a sickness I tell ya
Last edited by The Stig on Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Hick1960 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:16 am

The Stig wrote:The next mod is to separate the water into the condensers so you have better control over the cooling.

Or leave it in the box and buy a bubbler :D
Hick1960

2” Boka
1” gin pot still
4” FSD Neutralizer

Postby Hick1960 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:31 pm

I just put a cleaning run through my modified T500. I’d suggest anyone doing this mod to purchase a power controller if they want to run it detuned in pot mode. Running water flat out through the product condenser only would not knock down the vapour , but power reduced to just under 50% worked fine.
Hick1960

2” Boka
1” gin pot still
4” FSD Neutralizer

Postby clearspirit » Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:40 pm

The Stig wrote:The next mod is to separate the water into the condensers so you have better control over the cooling.

I read somewhere it only takes a certain amount of copper to remove sulphates (ites?) and any extra is a waste of copper. Am I reading your reply correctly that it's worth using all copper packing?
I finally found a Voltage controller at 5 star, but I can't find an extension. Is this something I'd have to make or can I buy one?
Cheers
clearspirit

Postby clearspirit » Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:48 pm

Oops, forgot to ask, is copper mesh better than scrubbers?
clearspirit

Postby B-Man » Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:45 pm

clearspirit wrote:I read somewhere it only takes a certain amount of copper to remove sulphates (ites?) and any extra is a waste of copper. Am I reading your reply correctly that it's worth using all copper packing?
I finally found a Voltage controller at 5 star, but I can't find an extension. Is this something I'd have to make or can I buy one?
Cheers

having more copper doesn't hurt.
you can use stainless scrubbers as long as you have some copper in the vapour path.

as for the extension you can buy a 2" one with triclamp fittings then buy the adapters for the T500 boiler and column
B-Man

equipment: keg 4" Bubbler

Postby The Stig » Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:09 pm

All of these parts are available on the 5 Star Store
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby clearspirit » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:04 pm

Try and buy a 2” copper end cap like the one in another post I've referred to (“no not 50millimetres, 50.8 but they call it 51” to the multiple hardware and plumbing dudes), without paying $35 from Darwin on top of the twenty five bucks for a ten dollar bung so sixty bucks. So a plumber mate made an end cap out of a copper hot water system lid but couldn't stick it to the stainless column. After research and buying silver brazing flux ($13.95) and a 15% silver rod ($17) I managed to braze it on with the torch in the pic – took less than a minute once it got to the right temp, SO satisfying :) Bit messy but solid. Like my stick welding. Happy enough with my first attempt brazing stainless :)

Brazing1.jpg

But I can't get the brass top condensor spigot hot enough to melt either hard solder from the plumber who made the cap, using his filler rod and flux for brass to copper, or the silver solder I just bought. Warning to new players – Do NOT use silver brazing flux on brass and copper. It forms a lovely ceramic'ey glaze and MAN it's hard to get off.

Any welder's about who can help?

Cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clearspirit

Postby clearspirit » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:32 pm

I meant "Try and buy a 2” copper end cap like the one in the first post" but it wouldn't let me edit...
clearspirit

Return to Reflux Stills