Reflux still design and discussion

Re: Proposed LM Build

Postby stubbydrainer » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:01 pm

Here's another link for a boka
http://distillapedia.org/index.php?titl ... ted_Plates
dunno if it helps
stubbydrainer

equipment: 4" perf. plate bubbler,2 1/2" pot with a triple wall liebig,
Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller
1/2 share with SBB in a 3" boka,

Postby czedd » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:42 am

Sorry about the delay in posting progress pics. Had a bit of a tune up and all good. Back in shed. I have never soldered before and after reading the threads on soldering and torches I decided to take a leaf out of spuds book and went to Bunnings armed with a cheaper quote for the TS8000. They were not happy and went through the printed quote with a fine tooth comb. I also remembered to ask for the 10% discount and ended up with the TS8000 + spare bottle for $125, :lol: I experimented on scrap copper of various dimensions before attempting to solder for real. Here are some pics of progress to date.Excuse the quality of pics as it was late (early) and I used a phone camera.
Coil (448 x 600).jpg
Still Parts (448 x 600).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
czedd

equipment: 3" Bok. 2400watt element, 50ltr ss keg.

Postby MacStill » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:39 am

Looks great mate, that insulation is perfect ;)

The keg looks like a beauty too.

Well done!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby maheel » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:19 am

thats a sweet looking rig !!

no half arsed build there, very pro looking setup
maheel

Postby czedd » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:46 pm

Finally finished the build. Have added a leibig and completed a water pressure check. No Leaks. Here are some pics
Liebig.jpg
Liebig.jpg

Planning on a vinagar run within next couple of days. What ratio vinagar to water do I use. Do I run with packing installed.

Have had a 50 Ltr Birdwashers bubbling away for 6 days now. I can still hear bubbles every 10 seconds. How long should I leave this for.
Here is a pic of the SG taken today
SG after 6 days.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
czedd

Postby bradsgonetrekkin » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:08 pm

Looks like a beast sd.

I did my vm column vinegar run last weekend. I didn't add scrubbers/ mesh yet as I wanted the hot steam to be able to get at the side walls of the pipes without anything in there (in my head it felt like it would be cleaner that way?). In the past I've just given the scrubbers their own rinse / bath in vinegar etc before adding them. Don't know about the science , thats just what I did..

I would leave the wash till its stopped bubbling for a few days, gets a bit clearer and has an sg around 990ish.
bradsgonetrekkin

equipment: 18 gallon (80litre) ss keg boiler with 2400w and 1200w elements
65-50-35-19mm copper pot head/ stripper
2m high 65-50mm copper vapour management column with cross flow condensor head
630mm long 3/4 over 1/2 inch leibig and 32mm outer, 1/2 inch inner 'double barrel' interchangable condensors

Postby bradsgonetrekkin » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:10 pm

sorry czedd not sd...
bradsgonetrekkin

equipment: 18 gallon (80litre) ss keg boiler with 2400w and 1200w elements
65-50-35-19mm copper pot head/ stripper
2m high 65-50mm copper vapour management column with cross flow condensor head
630mm long 3/4 over 1/2 inch leibig and 32mm outer, 1/2 inch inner 'double barrel' interchangable condensors

Postby czedd » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:05 pm

Thanks Brad, Took your advice and ran without packing / scrubbers (Have them soaking seperately). Did the vinagar run today. Keg has a 2400 watt element. Ran approx 40ltrs of vinagar and water, Started at 11:20 and steam was comming out at 12:05 (45 mins to boil) vapour trail from vent was was about 6 ft. Is this about right? Ran with no coolant for 30minutes and checked all joints with a mirror. All good no re work :D Ran with coolant for another 30mins and flushed out valve and liebig. Cant wait for wash to stop bubbling (50ltrs birdwatchers)
Vinagar Run.jpg

I'd like to thank all those that have encouraged me to have a go at building one and all the support and information on this forum. Hopefully I can now master how to run it and produce some good quality spirits.

:text-thankyoublue:
czedd

Postby SBB » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:29 pm

Nice job Czedd........its a good feeling when you finally finish building your own and get it going for the first time :) and you have a better understanding of whats going on inside.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Previous

Return to Reflux Stills