VM/LM questions

Reflux still design and discussion

Re: VM/LM questions

Postby Sam. » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:37 pm

Thanks busman,
The price is not my main concern, I am more worried about all the extra problems with going to 4" that will affect the quality of the product. The only real reason I want to go to 4" is to be able to do a reflux run of 45L of low wines in fuck all time, but if people are getting over 5L an hour in hearts with a 3" thats got to be better than what I am running now.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby MacStill » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:41 pm

I agree with busman, build it ;)

Only thing I would do is forget the packing and run perforated plates in it, they would never need to be removed & negate the need for centering devices too.

A 4" VM with 15 sight glasses sure would look cool sitting on a 150L boiler :mrgreen:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Sam. » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:49 pm

:laughing-rolling: I don't know nearly enough about plates to go down that track, seems to me I might go the 3" and if im not happy with the output I will try the 4" later on, im young enough to get a few more builds out of me :D
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby MacStill » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:58 pm

45L through a 4" would hardly be worth while I'd imagine, but there are a few members here that would be willing to help out with plate configuration ;)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Sam. » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:17 pm

Yeah was thinking that as well, 90% mind made up for the 3" (the 8" plate can wait :D )
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby R-sole » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:21 am

I've got up to 5l/h on my 3" VM. Performance lately is down around 4l/h and i'm yet to figure out why.

Even still it turns a 14 hr day for 2" into an 8 or so hour day.

The packing problems once you get above 3" is the reason why no-one i know of has a working 4" packed column. ;)
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby busman » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:11 pm

Is it the cost of the packing, or the odds of it compressing mid-run that is the limiting factor? Could you use something else instead? I recall Riku mentioning on another forum a stainless product he used for packing that was quite unlike the mesh or scrubbers that almost everyone else uses, I'll try and find out what it was. Just for shits and giggles, I'm not actually considering building one...
busman

equipment: 2" VM column, 2" pot still, 55L keg boiler

Postby R-sole » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:28 pm

It's both.

You'd be thinking of spp, maybe the second most expensive packing there is.

The compression would not be a facot with spp, but channeling may well.

One day someone will build one, the best thing to do would be to work out how to do it before throwing money at it. 8-)
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby maheel » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:43 pm

you could maybe use a "plate / packing tree" type system to hold thew packing and reduce the compression .

not sure how much gap between sections so you dont get compression and gaps in the column ?

the 3" boka i am slowly working on looks like it's going to take a lot of scrubbers to fill
even crossed my mind to do a bottom section of copper packing in it at the start of the column

4" would look massive !!
maheel

Postby SBB » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:52 pm

maheel wrote:you could maybe use a "plate / packing tree"

Ive been wondering a similar thing Maheel.....a sort of hybrid.....plates and packing......the plates would take the weight and stop the mesh compacting...even in a 3 inch.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby eminiM » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:57 pm

4" scrubber packed VM/RLM combo will sit on top of a 120L Fester boiler. Never had a chance to collect from it yet but it took 5500 watts on a cleaning run without centering devices. Be April or May before I get back onto this project I'm thinking.

eminiM

equipment: VM all the way!

Postby MacStill » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:29 am

Mini I hope you covered that thing with tin foil :text-lol:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby maheel » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:36 am

eminiM wrote:4" scrubber packed VM/RLM c

lol before i read the post i looked at the pic and thought NEEDS A BIGGER BOILER !!! lol

thats massive :shifty:
maheel

Postby Al Qaemist » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:40 pm

Ha! Thats fantastic mini, if you ever got rumbled you could shim up it and escape over the roof :D
Al Qaemist

equipment: 2"x39" VM, Pot head
50L 3Kw keg, and Modified T500 boiler.

Previous

Return to Reflux Stills