Ujssm and Alcotec questions

Reflux still design and discussion

Ujssm and Alcotec questions

Postby not alan jones » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:57 pm

Been reading here for a while and just want to thank every body here for asking and answering all the questions, but now I fear it is my turn to ask the brains trust for advice...

I have a small ujssm on its 4th generation? (3stripping runs so far using a SS pot still, 4shots removed, everything else saved) and will soon be looking at a spirit run. I also have a SS super reflux with a 350mm x 50mm copper extension, all packed with stainless scrubbers which normally gets to around 94%when measured straight from the still, at the start of my hearts. Soooo my question is, if I run my ujssm through the reflux, will I lose all my flavour? Should I detune the reflux a bit? Should I do something else?

I have also been busy making some nuetral and recently ran 2 Alcotec24 (6kgs/21l) washes and had trouble with both. I think I was getting column flooding :puke-huge: first one run like a pot still 70odd% and no real control over the reflux, either enough water to completely choke it off or running crazy fast, nothing in between. Just finished the second run tonight and heads (about 600ml) came through at 93% as usual, then it went crazy again, same as before :angry-banghead: . Any thoughts?
The first one sat around for a few days in a jug covered with a cloth and it had a very slight yellowish oil slick on top. Re-distilled it on the weekend and all was good. I've only been doing this for a few months but have learnt enough to understand how little I actually know, but so far have been pretty happy with my results (and tweaking my column to get a better product than it was ever meant to give).

I also have some copper bits and pieces that I'm collecting (buying) for my next project... but that will involve even more questions
:text-thankyoublue:
not alan jones

equipment: super reflux and pot

Re: Ujssm and Alcotec questions

Postby SBB » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:03 pm

not alan jones wrote:I've only been doing this for a few months but have learnt enough to understand how little I actually know,

Your not alone there Mate I'm beginning to feel the same way....If I hadn't had so many rums and it wasn't so late I might try to answer at least one question. As it is I'll just agree with the above.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby R-sole » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:49 am

You are better off using your potstill for the spirit run.

It sounds like your reflux still is puking, try putting a bit less wash in if you have no control of the heat input.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby not alan jones » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:48 am

5Star wrote:You are better off using your potstill for the spirit run.

It sounds like your reflux still is puking, try putting a bit less wash in if you have no control of the heat input.

Heat control is already on the drawing board, just need more time and money.
Might have to watch my wash levels in future :angry-banghead:
On the first run, I had only just got my column back from lending it to a friend (without the extension) so that was another variable, and to be honest, it took me by surprise. This time, I tried to recreate the same setup and after measuring the abv of my heads, was thinking that the first 'puke' must have been one of those act of god things. Then it all went wrong... again. Never had the problem before, 2 alcotec24 washes and 2 bad runs. I guess that was what I was really wondering about, and I don't mean for this to be a brand bashing thing, just curious.
not alan jones

equipment: super reflux and pot

Postby Tracker » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:23 pm

Not sure but I think that 5Star is on the right track. Grain based washes/mashes seem to hold more absorbed gasses in them that a straight sugar wash. If you were getting away with filling your pot to a certain level with sugar washes, you will need to lower the fluid level when distilling grain based versions.
You could 'bash' the gasses out of it by vigerous stirring, shaking, repeated pouring from height, anything to make the gas release, think flattening a bottle of coke.
Another way if you have some heat control is to run it slow from the start until the slow boiling releases all the gasses.

Cheers.
Tracker

Location: The bit in the middle of the bottom part about 2 hours north of the big smoke.
equipment: Pot still with thumper, doubled up liebig condensers.
2" Bok to clean up mistakes or an oversupply of heads & tails

Return to Reflux Stills